main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    A fellow Cat fan - so glad. You're right, she gets no love. And the show did not help her here - AT ALL.

I also have a soft spot for Cersei, despite her obvious descent into crazy town. And I adore Jaime and Brienne, preferably together. :cool:

Anyway, not that it matters, but I wholeheartedly endorse your list.

Trip likes this.
  2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    it does actually!! seriously it's great seeing someone else who loves Catelyn and is sympathetic toward Cersei, I dunno I'm not usually the type to care all that much about this sort of thing but it really does bother me a bit how disliked those two characters are online even among female fans. Especially Cersei. :/

And YES the show was awful to Cat, right from the start when they had her object to Ned going south as the Hand... ughhhhhh I was so pissed and then it just continued to get worse and she got basically shunted off to the side in favor of ~Robb~ which who cares about Robb he is not even a secondary character. And then I just recently saw on YouTube a scene from season 3 (I stopped watching after season 2) this absolutely appalling scene where Cat tells not!Jeyne about how she feels just awful for how mean she was to Jon.

Just, ugh.

(Also yes Jaime/Brienne are the best thing.)

krtmd likes this.
  3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I have had this very conversation before. Particularly the part about how the show threw Cat aside (a POV character, ffs) in favor of propping Robb. Ugh indeed.

eta. Jello really needs to show up for his interview before I really sidetrack this thread.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He leaves me no choice.

1. Tell us about your username, why you chose it, what it means, etc. And what is the best way to address you?

I was walking home from my volunteer work at the soup kitchen one night, and a soft voice called to me from the darkness.

"You, there!" it called. "Dost thou speaketh for liberty?"

"Nay", said I. "I speaketh for order. Liberty is a sedative for fools. The only true freedom is that which we seize for ourselves."

Out of the darkness emerged a man, cloaked head to toe in black. What I could see of his face suggested frailty beyond his years, but what I saw in his eyes spoke of power...unlimited power.

"Excellent. Excellent. I have great need of one such as you." He raised a yellowed, liver-spotted hand to me. "Take these."

I reached out, and from his shriveled palm I withdrew a pair of epaulets, golden as the fires of Sol itself.

I knew, then, what fate had wanted of me all these years. My life, my eternal loyalty, was now his.

"And what shall we call you?" he asked, though something in his voice told me he already knew the answer. I thought back on my evening; on the crude meals I'd been serving thankless, impoverished urchins for the past three hours.

"Jello", I said to him.

2. Where are you originally from? Are you currently living there, or did you move elsewhere?

Jello is in all things, yet he calls no place his true home. In the whimper of a child, he is there. In the life that fades from your enemy's eyes as your thumbs close his trachea, he is there. In the final, bankrupted murmur of a long-forgotten supernova...he is there.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You want to know more about my good friend Jello? Just take everything I stand for and assume the opposite. :p

And, while he would probably kill me for saying this, I happen to know that as a youth he was an Ackbar fan. :D

--Adm. Nick

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I actually thought I'd be gallant and let Trip finish up her questions before proceeding. Also, I was busily procrastinating on packing for my flight tomorrow.

Although it seems Coop's got some good responses, and perhaps I ought to have left it to him!

*ahem* At any rate, perhaps it is time to begin. Mark well the hour, my friends, for this day you will have greatness visited upon you. You will be able to relate the tale to your progeny, the seed of your progeny, and all their scions and descendants until such a point that time itself grows meaningless. Scribes: ready thyselves, and record for the ages.

Scholars have journeyed far and wide in hopes of scrying truth from legend, but it seems that there are many conflicting accounts of how such an august personage came to be known by his exalted name. Some assert that it was a name bestowed by the heavens themselves, a name which boomed from the celestial heights of Olympus to shake the very firmament which houses the home of the gods. Other variations of the story present a humbler origin: that as roseate Aurora graced the skies with her hands and as the Hours unfurled the clouds to allow the passage of the Delian chariot, two sisters approached a youngster puzzling over a registration form and whispered greatness into his ears. These sisters were, of course, Calliope and Clio, Muses of grand Epic and sweeping History.

There are dozens of other accounts, of varying details and circumstances. I cannot tell you which of these are true and which are not, as it is not the mere sifting of fact and fiction favored by the philosopher that most edifies, but rather the lessons which inhere in the circumstances of the narrative so favored by the historians of old.

To that end, I will select the humblest of these stories as the one that I shall relate to you. That is not to say that it is lacking in poetry or charm. It is quite picturesque I feel. But it is you, the audience, and your posterity that will be the ultimate arbitri elegantis.

Imagine, if you can, a simple, peaceful world -- a world before the technological marvel that was the internet. Do not picture a gormless world devoid of charm or wit, but a world that was smaller, more intimate. In such a world, children would often play amongst themselves instead of latching their juvenile faces onto gadgets and gizmos which substituted for social interaction. One favored activity of these children involved placing themselves onto rubber surfaces attached by chains to a metal superstructure. These children would utilize their own locomotion to create enough kinetic energy to rise beyond gravity's tether and ascend towards the stars, in an arc governed by the chain's attachment to this metal structure. Often, these intrepid lads, these valorous youths, these courageous kids would leap from these astral chairs, unharnessed by mechanisms of any sort, towards the warm embrace of the earth. Fear was unheard of and unspoken, for laughter and merriment was the credo of the day for these immortals!

This Arcadian existence continued for what seemed an eternity, for the chronological restraints of adulthood had not yet taken their stifling hold. Yet the looms of Fate do not weave forever, and all mortal time is marked and measured. It was in the fifth year of this elementary existence that most concerns us. The children were frolicking above the ground, as was their wont, and practicing wit and wordplay so as to join the ranks of the most cultivated and worthy.

These youths, patriotic as they were, devised a series of martial monikers using the ancient literary device of paronomasia. The titles bandied about were not particularly sophisticated, but such was the great innocence of these young fellows that their sportsmanlike attempts were elevated for it. The names included: General Public, Major Idiot, and -- most unexpectedly, for it did not match the sequence -- Admiral Jello. Yet from such origins is greatness made, for even in its very infancy did that name distinguish itself from all the rest.

Then, the planets made their journey around the sun and the leader of the free world secured his place by a mandate. As the leaves fell from the trees -- though this was a mere metaphor, as the leaves in this paradise never fell -- the name was revisited again. Education had taken the place of diversion, and the children were learning the rudiments of syntax and structure. The pedagoguess realized that the word was the beginning and the end: for the word was the root of language, and logos the root of reason. To that end, she asked the children for words from which they could construct the majesty of complete thought that is the sentence: verbs, adjectives, and nouns flew with profusion! And just as every society needs its ruler, every sentence needs its subject (do not strain overmuch, learned colleagues, for we moderns do know that some societies rule themselves and some sentences thrive even without subjects!): and up went a hand and out went a name: "Admiral Jello." Just as earlier, every face was delighted and every heart cheered by that greatest of names. And so it came to be that he who uttered the name would henceforth be known by it.

As to forms of address, I must refer you to the ancient and most respected manners and protocols: an emperor is properly addressed in the third person as "His Imperial Majesty," and in the second as "Your Imperial Majesty," though "Sire" may be used thereafter. We must not be ethnocentric in our traditions, so oriental usages such as "Great One" and "King of Kings" may also be suitable as suits your sensitivities.

Yet I feel it contingent to remind all and sundry that even the highest among us is no better than the least and the most meek: for it is only together that a community survives. To that end, there is no greater honor nor privilege more esteemed than to be called "citizen" -- or, if you will, "Litizen." For we are all friends and partners here in this place where we share our passion, and there is nothing finer.

I hope that beginning makes up for the delay! Sorry folks. ;)

I was born and bred in Orange County, California but I currently reside in the nation's capital, hoping to do the people's business and serve humbly in some fashion or another. :)

Tomorrow, though, I'll be in Boston :p

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Of course, humble as you are, in time you promoted yourself to Grandadmiral Jello. ;)

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    GrandAdmiralJello Ooo, Boston? We could almost do this interview in person!

3. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?

4. Besides Star Wars, what are your passions in life?

9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Mr. Jello,

Your username reminds me of an ancient Australian marketing jingle for Aeroplane Jelly:

http://alldownunder.com/australian-music-songs/aeroplane-jelly-song.htm

However, I can imagine it spoken by Palpatine in the Imperial sense, tone-poem dry style:

I've got a song that won't take very long,
    Quite a good sort of note if I strike it . . .
    It is something we eat, and I think it's quite sweet,
    And I know you are going to like it.
    I like Tie-Fighter Jelly
    Tie-Fighter Jelly for me.

I like it for dinner, I like it for tea,
    A little each day is a good recipe,
    The quality's high as the name will imply,
    And it's made from pure fruits, one more good reason why
    I like Tie-Fighter Jelly
    Tie-Fighter Jelly for me.

10. Grand_Admiral_Jello

Grand_Admiral_Jello Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2000
    Indeed! I'll be posting from this account for the interviews, just as I dislike using my main account on public terminals.

Of course, getting used to strange keyboards is an adventure in itself...

I first heard about it on AIM and Lit -- virtually the same time. My first reaction was disbelief, but friends on facebook had linked to the official Disney press release so I knew that it was official. I had a strongly negative reaction at the beginnin, but within an hour or a few hours, it had tempered into mild curiosity and even some excitement at the notion that George Lucas would no longer be permitted to tamper with SW. A lot of my annoyances over the past few years -- although far from all of them -- can be traced to his doing.

As for my hopes -- honestly, the survival of the EU is probably foremost among them. Like Nick, I have some sense of excitement over a fresh start (and particularly, the fall of the Empire depicted properly instead of the nigh-nonsensical mess we have now) but here's the problem: we'd be jetisonning all of these decades of universe-building lore on the mere hope that it could be better, without any basis for having the slightest certainty. That's not a risk I'm willing to take: so even *if* I were willing to value a good, fresh start over the EU we've grown to love, I don't think it's a gamble worth taking.

Anything else? I don't know, I have fairly low expectations. So long as they don't make a hash of continuity, that'd be great. If we do see the Solo kids on screen, I'd hope they casted them properly. If they ruin Jaina, I will never forgive them. Along those same lines: I hope they do what the NJO and post-NJO failed to do, and put the emphasis on the next generation, where it belongs. No more Big Three saving the day please: give them the role that Kenobi and Yoda had in the OT.

That's it, really. Nothing elaborate or fanciful. I just want the EU to survive, and I want the story to be better than the post-NJO. Oh, and I'd like for it to actually be Star Wars and not that drek we got called the Prequel Trilogy. :)

I don't understand the question. There are things other than Star Wars?

Oh, all right. I suppose foremost would be history -- particularly the history of great men, great deeds, and great civilizations. Antiquity is replete with those, but you can find those in modern times too -- and the term "great men" includes women, for scholarship on the influence of women on the world stage is at its infancy given that the primary sources tend not to bother with their voices and roles (and when they do feature, it's thoroughly colored with bias and even fear-mongering: is it a coincidence that every powerful woman in antiquity was basically described as a whore? That's an easy way of knocking them down a peg, when unable to deny their influence or role in history).

I also have an interest in the arts and poetry: preferably classical or neoclassical, though I branch out from time to time. I have little patience with contemporary art or confessional poetry, or any other form of narcissististic, formless waste of time and energy. People's creativity can express itself in different ways, but some ways just aren't for me. There are always exceptions though: I do enjoy *talking* with said artists about their work, as I think a lot is gained from discourse with them that is difficult to glean from staring at some postmodernist thing and attempting to come up with one's own meaning for it (what a silly exercise!).

I enjoy good movies and television. Genres include: epic (of course), period, drama, comedy, and occasionally romance although I prefer it to be part of a well-developed story instead of central to it.

I also enjoy video games, but I suspect it's a fairly common interest so I won't belabor the point there.

I enjoy traveling a great deal, and have been to six of the seven continents and all five oceans. I also enjoy politics, although not on the petty, local scale: I enjoy it for the same reason I enjoy traveling or history, so I prefer high politics and international politics.

That's all I can think of, for now. This is a bit of a sparse reply, but I've been traveling all day. I may think of more later.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Alrighty then, I'll tag you as Grand_Admiral_Jello for the remainder of the interview.

5. Tell us how you become a fan of Star Wars, and SW lit in particular.

6. What do you do for a living? Is it your ideal profession, or would you rather be doing something else?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can tag the regular me; I'll be checking my phone far more often, but will have the business center for anything that's long-form.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hey Jello, what would say your biggest fears and weaknesses are?

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The answer for both is poor people.

tjace, JackG, Ulicus and 2 others like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok I'll try to answer these but my responses will be succinct since I'm como doing responses through my phone. By Monday things should be back to normal, though.

5. Well, I'd seen the SW films as a small child fairly often. Although my earliest memories of the film are quite bizarre and I remember scenes that don't seen to actually exist. I also seem to have not seen ESB until after I became an EU fan, although my parents insisted at the time that I'd seen it plenty. I must've, but not recalled for some reason.

I originally started out watching Trek first -- things like TNG and DS9 were on TV and such. I also remember liking the TOS movies in particular though I'd never seen the show. But eventually I switched over to SW and I think the EU helped. I was introduced to the EU at about third grade when I read KJA: you could say that I was at the exact age level to appreciate the writing!

6. I'll let you know once I start doing anything for a living! I've graduated law school and it was certainly an interesting experience. I'm glad that I met the people I know and it's certainly been an interesting journey. It's a decent environment and I've actually been able to meet some fascinating people and do some fascinating things... but it's perhaps an experience I wouldn't wish on anybody else.

Would I do anything else? Sure. I'd love to live in a massive palace Nd have servants cater to my every need while I read and composed literature and played video games. Yes -- a professional life of leisure, please.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You're going to have to tell us about some of these scenes.

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    He must mean the original version of the destruction of Alderaan:
    Vader: Hey Tarkin, you can't destroy planets without first asking permission of our glorious leader Emperor Palpatine!
    Tarkin: Right! I forgot. The Empire is here to bring order, not destruction! All hail His Imperial Majesty!
    Mon Monthma: Not so fast! I'll blow up Alderaan to get more support for my terrorist organization!
    Tarkin: What? Stop her! I can't run fast enough in these slippers!
    Mon Monthma: Too late! Buahhahhaa I'm evil!

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    GrandAdmiralJello 7. What are your favorite TV shows/movies?

8. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. Well for instance, in ANH I recall Lyke and Buggs having a chat among the sand dines. Except that was to have been completely cut from the film.

I also remember Dodonnas explaining the force to the rebel pilots with a diagram or something. I remember that particularly because I was in first grade or something, and a sixth grader (thus wise and all-knowing) named Beronica leaned over and explained to me how the rebel officers knew nothing about the force. It sounded like hocus locus to me so I just nodded.

I was also convinced that Vader was a robot and that when Luke chopped off Vader's hand, he didn't just turn to darkness but he literally became Vader, hence his black glove.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    @Jello: I remember having a picture-book for Star Wars shortly after the movie came out, and it included the cut scene with Biggs. Until I saw the movie again, I thought my memory of the movie was wrong because there was proof and everything that the scene happened.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I've seen the picture with the krayt too! But everybody always said it was never in the film. Are you telling me that you recall that scene too?

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Phone Jello is my favorite Jello.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, that's the thing - I didn't, but there was the photo of Biggs and Luke talking and everything, plus a little summary of their talk. At the time, I had no way to see the movie again, so I assumed that I had just forgotten or something.

25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    YAY! I was on holiday and I came back to Trip and Jello interviews! THIS MADE ME HAPPY. I just thought you should all know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.