main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sexualizing in EU–does it fit Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Revanfan1 - we're very much in agreement then. Save for the Denning matter. But lets just agree to disagree there 'cos I dn't really have the energy for taht discussion.

Just about the belly matter - my son of 10 (back then) asked me why all the ladies from Kim Possible to whover anybody always have bade bellies. He asked me if I didn't think it was silly. I had to agree. Then, better a but of silly sexual display than a prudent society IMO. If Id' have to choose.

jSarek likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't necessarily have a problem with Denning writing a woman wearing a tight suit–that's fine, even normal. But when he has Leia dressed in Daisy Dukes, talking about bondage with Han, Tahiri seducing a 14-year-old Ben while wearing an unzipped jacket and no shirt, all in the same book, then we've got a problem, because now he's living out his personal fantasies in the form of a novel he's writing for the general public to read.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Who the hell can undergo a Jedi mission wearing a damn leather catsuit? Leather does not make the most flexible clothing.

Jedi Ben, kataja and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. I'm glad most authors use descriptions that suggest she wasn't wearing a catsuit–robes, uniform, gray jumpsuit with lots of pockets, things like that. It makes much more sense that you can pull a sleeve gun from a sleeve than you can from a skintight bracer. Because then it'd be a bracer gun, not a sleeve gun. Plus, as you said, leather is not a good material to be wearing while fighting for your life.

Gemma likes this.
  5. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Talking bondage after just discussing killing their son, and Tahiri-Ben is not something I expect to come across in an all ages product (really, bring Anakin back some way or mercy kill the poor woman. She´s been done more than enough).. All of Denning´s humanoid females seem to wear clothing 2 sizes too small. Gets tiring after the first, and must be really uncomfortable to walk around, not to mention fighting.

But in general I find SW quite tame, Avatar the Last Airbender for instance implied sex between teens so heavily I don´t get how they made the cut.

And Jaina is 1.49m tall? I think even Karrin Murphy is taller.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Alema and Leia, anyways. Tahiri, sometimes. And it's really distracting to be trying to read a good action scene and all of a sudden you're interrupted by how sexy Alema looks or how fine Leia's snug bodysuit makes her look. I'm a boy but I can't imagine how fighting in leather would feel–even wearing leather outside of a jacket has to be extremely uncomfortable–let alone how it'd feel on a female.

Gemma likes this.
  7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would also like to point out that Tahiri is thirteen years older than Ben and that if laws if the GFFA are anything like real-life, Ben is also under-age.

Lady_Misty and StarWarsZombie like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. That, too.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Her being that much older would be fine if he were an adult and were consenting.

But he's 14 and her prisoner, which makes the seduction anything but OK.

As far as leather, I own a leather jacket but wouldn't want to do anything active in it, and I wouldn't want to wear leather clothing of any other kind, except shoes.

Jaina and Jag's height...what's up with all the short people in Star Wars? :p

10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    As far as dress-reandactors are to be trusted, you can't. Adding my own experiences with leather I'd agree. It's not a very flexible material. Dunno what hides the can get in GFFA, though :p

Indeed, tight suits is 'normal' in science fiction. [face_plain] As for Denning's possible fantasies, I don't think we're qualified to guess. And even if he has fantasies, they're probably more or less shared by 75 % of the audience. Question is, what you display for what audience. I think it's mere fun when Leia points out to Jaina that Han likes his wife dressing dirty, as I see this very much in RL in Denmark where I live, where the older generation sure were much more experimenting with their sexuality than the younger is comfortable to discuss. (please note my wording in this case). While I think the war issues shown in CW in a show for young kids much more problematic. Ok, I know, the comparision might be a bit fetched, and one bad doesn't justify the other, but I really didn't mind that scene - or the Alema one. Indeed, the Alema scene, set in perspective with the Twi'lek's status of sex- objects in general, to me made an interesting addition to Alema's loss of limbs etc. I don't think she was a sex object in that scene - she was on the contrary a woman who'd lost more than good is, and who tried to get it back. Also, there was a shift from Leia's POV (where Alema was slightly pathertic) and Han's/the author's, where Alema knew she hadn't lost all her former power.

The Ben/Tahiri scene touches such a hot topic that I don't have the energy to start it again. I can only say that had Ben been og legal age, I hadn't seen any problem with it. I just want to point out, that nothing in the text, suggested Tahiri was doing an ok thing. In fact, she was under DS influence. And it was by Ben's tolerance and lack of condemnation that she turned back to light...

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Star Wars can be adult and mature... if its adult and mature. Since it tends to be unable to do that, it should try to stay away from overtly lurid things that are just weird and awkward.

But it needn't be Disney either.

... Oh. Wait.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The fact that it was definitely portrayed as wrong is the scene's only saving grace, but it was definitely disturbing nonetheless.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

14. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Padme's white outfit is pretty conservative as far as midriff showing outfits go. It's not like Ahsoka or Aalya Secura. Certain outfits mess with my suspension of disbelief.

Although any direct references to sex in SW never fail to traumatize me for life due to being hilarious. It reminds me of in I Jedi, with the stirring in the loins line, where it was both TMI and ridiculous. That is suitable for Corran Horn, who is prone to describe everything in an over the top way but outside of First Person POV, but I feel like certain adjectives are deciding FOR the reader. Less can be more in the way of writing a character's description.

I think it is the mark of a bad writer to make already established characters ooc. That's all I'm going to say about the Denning version of Leia. (Although I only read Tattooine Ghost, and his Leia was awesome so it's a shame.)

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ahsoka annoys me–do I even need to say why? What does a 14-year-old girl in a tube top think she is doing on a battlefield (aside from presenting a very easy target)? Her second outfit was much better, though; at least most of her was covered.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, so sex appeal characters for the ladies? There can only be one....

[​IMG]

Or:

[​IMG]

Or:

[​IMG]

He's too sexy for his shirt....

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I've personally always found Cade quite unattractive.

*Ducks various items thrown by female fans*

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Stirring in the loins"? [face_laugh]. I can't see the NJO Corran saying "I got hard", but still...oh hell.

Leia in Tatooine Ghost was great, and there was a very nice "fade to black" scene with her and Han there.

As far as Cade...nice muscles. But beyond that I'm not very impressed.

VanishingReality and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That simultaneously made me blush and laugh when I read it for the first time in I, Jedi.

20. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I don't think it's even close to as bad as the fantasy genre. Really there are people who dress skimpy in real life, wouldn't you think the same could be said about the people in the SW universe?

VanishingReality likes this.
  21. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    In most fantasy I´ve read people dress normally for the time period the author is drawing inspiration from. If we go to comics, on the other side... just compare Red Sonja with the original Red Sonya.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ben, somewhere horsey is disagreeing with you and she's not sure why yet.

s65horsey likes this.
  23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Really, another thread about Sex and Star Wars? [face_laugh]

Perhaps everyone out there won't be satisfied until we have a Star Wars spin-off show, ala Sex and the City? Sex and the Bright Centre of the Universe?

I think that there are a lot of users out there with it on the brain. Even the authors aren't immune. We do have a comic book writer named Randy after all. Not sure what he prefers to straddle though? [face_thinking]

kataja and CeiranHarmony like this.
  24. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    don't forget fantasy videogames too. if you have a female warrior in a ton of fantasy video games they have her wear a chainmail bikini.

*edit* parodied here (collegehumor video)

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Given the deck floor, the box might get slippery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.