main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I think your dream was a sign of Armageddon.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It probably says something about me as a kid that one of my fantasies was a grimdark Pokemon game or show. Perhaps a Great Pokemon War. Charizards patrol the sky, swooping down only to tear smaller pokemon in half or to burn them alive. Onyx's burrow underneath the ground and rise to rip entire battalions of rattatta's (or some other useless pokemon) to shreds. Legions of water pokemon flood entire sections of the battlefield, drowning any pokemon that doesn't know surf. Bug pokemon creep behind enemy lines, tunneling into the skin of larger pokemon and eating them alive from the inside.

That was some good in-class daydreaming material.

Though I did read a funny theory that there was a Pokemon war, which explains why it's necessary to keep them leashed and why there's so few adult trainers left in the world (and the only ones that are left are reduced to betting their rent money in Pokemon battles against little kids).

Considering I find I still want this, I'm confronted with the unpleasant realization that I have not grown up at all.

3. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Lt. Surge fought in a war with his Raichu, so there's definitely a pretty good basis for that theory.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I tried writing a hyper-realistic pokemon story once... oddly, probacju my best prose writing.

6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    sometimes I feel like I am the only person who grew up in the nineties that knows absolutely nothing about pokemon.

Barriss_Coffee and Bib Fartuna like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Trip you knew nothing of Pokemon? Wow. Can't even imagine that.

8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    well I mean, I do recall it being a thing when I was in elementary school (I think?) but I don't recall much beyond being vaguely aware that it involved a tv show and a card game. or something.

(i mean, i know a bit more about it now via nerd osmosis but that's all been acquired as an adult thanks to the internet.)

9. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Why does Pokémon sound like some West Indian sexual term?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My son was trading Pokemon cards just a year or two ago. Apparently the phenomenon lasted awhile.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember getting Pokemon Blue and Yellow back when they came out, watching the tv series and seeing the first 3 movies in theaters. I can't imagine Pokemon not being a part of my childhood. Been a long while since I saw any episodes but the music and the first couple movies are still great fun. Fell out of it gamewise after Emerald, no idea where in the tv series since all I got was season 1 reruns.

12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Knowing as many people as I do who are waiting for baited breath for Pokemon X and Y to come out, I'd say it's still going in some places. I was into Pokemon for... about a week when I was like 12. I like the games well enough, never watched the show, and never played the card game. Mom got sick of buying me toys when I moved from Star Wars to Transformers, she wasn't going to let me jump ship again. I played with the toys I had and I liked it.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I grew up at the same time. It was super-popular and most of my friends were into it.

I loathed it and refused to have anything to do with it.

14. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    It must have something similar to drugs then...

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I also grew up at the same time and never got into Pokemon either.

16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Just last year (in army no less, that was a boring place) I came up with a theory that the reason Pokedex can say that "Vulpix is a fox-like pokemon" when there are no foxes or other animals besides humans is because pokemons have killed them all.

Think about it: You have a super race of aliens/computer-generated monsters that only faint when they are blown up and go back to full health after visiting a Poke-center. How can any animal beat that?

RC-1991 and instantdeath like this.
  17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't feel too bad about liking Pokemon, since I only really liked the games, which are genuinely good even today. The interesting thing about them is that they're deep RPG's disguised as kids games.

When it comes to trading cards, though, I will admit to a brief childhood obsession with yugioh. I shudder to think of all the better things I could have bought with the money I spent on just a few cards...

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I also had a Yu-Gi-Oh! obsession back in the day. So do I, to a certain extent.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I remember I had tonnes of fake yu-gi-oh cards which someone bought (willingly and in full knowledge of their authenticity) for a considerable amount of money at a garage sale when I was ten.

20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I remember we just copied the stats of pokemons to pieces of paper because we thought the point is to play, and that could be done without using big sums of money to buy the real cards.

But we didn't actually know how to play because everything was in English.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I definitely took part in the Pokemon fad. I remember when getting a "shiny" trading card was the greatest day of my young life. :p And I loved the first and second generation games. I didn't get into subsequent games until recently, but those didn't click with me as much. I stopped watching the show around the time of Johto League, but I did catch some of the later movies on Cartoon Network occasionally.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Pokemon is still a massively popular franchise (people take all the hidden stats for character evolutions and such way too seriously, though)- though I believe it leans mostly towards the videogames now, even though the cartoon endures (not sure about the card game, though it's not omnipresent like it once was, that probably has more to do with the collapse of the CCG market than anything else).

I had Pokemon Red when it first came out when I was in high school- it was a very good game (JPRG + advanced rock/paper/scissors, essentially). I remember my friend picked up Yellow (which gave you Pikachu by default and actually displayed him following you around in the overworld) and I had to convince him to trade me his Pikachu so I'd have an electric type to beat the Water gym leader with, I then traded it back to him afterwards (and he was pleased that Pikachu once again was displayed following him around and that that feature wasn't lost due to the trade).

I've checked in with the series every now and then- I picked up Silver and, later, Pearl, but never got very far into any of them (more a result of a lack of time to put into them- they'll all solid games). I also had Pokemon Stadium 2 on the N64 (it came with the Transfer Pak that could upload your Pokemon from your Gameboy cart into the N64 game to fight with them in 3D) but was quickly dismayed that my uploaded Pokemon were all below the Level of the "rental" Pokemon that came with the game, which kinda killed the appeal of the game.

I'm undecided if I'll be checking out X & Y, though. Too many other games out (or coming out) on the Wii U and 3DS for me to buy as it is.

As for a grimdark Pokemon story.. yeah, that's something I've wanted as well. The first Pokemon movie is the only animated thing I've watched from the franchise, but it came close to something pretty awesome with the character of MewTwo- ever since then I've wanted to see a dark remake of that that fully exploits the slavery rebellion subtext (the notion of a Team Rocket member trying to Pokeball MewTwo, only for him to bust out in a righteous "How dare you?!" and then use the Pokeball on the human (an experiment the poor fellow wouldn't survive) always stood out to me).

But since that will never happen, I'll continue to settle for what is, IMO, the best of the multitude of 300/Pokemon mash-ups:

instantdeath and RC-1991 like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You are both foolish and should feel ashamed of yourselves.

instantdeath and Ulicus like this.
  24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Did anyone else get a collectible Pokemon card when they saw the first movie (which was awesome, by the way) at the cinema?

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ancient Mew? Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.