main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, Jacen is stuck with his YJK haircut as Darth Caedus for some reason. I think artists copy other artists and as in the game of telephone the character's depiction diverges from the description.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Or just photoshop it, slap a filter on the background and call it good...

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Agents of Chaos duology is one of my top 3 favorite duologies in Star Wars. The other two being Edge of Victory and Enemy Lines. When I read Chewie's death I was devastated but determined to continue. AOC was a worthy continuation of that plot point that I never looked back. Han in that story was written perfectly. I like Droma a lot as well.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I actually think that that is not a beak; it is just that her face/head is beak-like

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'll admit I didn't picture Vergere like that at all the first time I read Edge of Victory and Star by Star (I read these books before most of the others). In my head, she had a spherical, fluffy body, almost stick-thin arms and legs, with fur on her wrists, ankles, and knees, and a fluffy head with big, round black eyes and finger-length antennae on the very top of her head. I didn't picture a beak at all; just a round head with a nose and mouth. And she was completely blue, for some reason.

Edit:

And while this haircuts are similar, there are a few differences between Jacen's YJK haircut and Caedus' haircut.

Compare this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

For starters, one is utterly hideous, the other is not...

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  6. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    He turned into Peter Parker from Spider Man 3.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, now we know who could play Darth Caedus...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Luceno is one of my favorite writers and I thoroughly enjoyed this duology.

One aspect that stood out to me is how realistic he was regarding Han and Leia. Too many books, including Star Wars books, tend to show a couple fighting and then being all lovey-dovey "I'm so sorry sweetheart you're the only one for me" 30 minutes later; my personal experience has been that most relationships can't withstand challenges much milder than what Han and Leia faced, and the ones that do, take a ride through hell before coming back. Or as the words of a famous song say, love is not a victory march, it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah. That was Han and Leia, and I appreciated Luceno showing it instead of sugar-coating the fact that grief often drives people apart as opposed to bringing them together.

I remember Droma getting a lot of flack around here but I like the guy; he got Han out of himself for awhile.

Vergere: I honestly had no idea she was supposed to be Darth Chicken until later books. I didn't picture her as feathered and beaked for some reason. I did like the healing tears, although I couldn't stand Luke musing on how much he couldn't stand the idea of life without Mara.

I found treasonous power-hungry Shesh very interesting in her introduction here, and even more so later.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Vergere wasn't supposed to be Darth Chicken.

Daala, Gorefiend, HWK-290 and 6 others like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It just feels to me that the pro-jedi fraction should be just as big as the anti-jedi, if not bigger. After all we have all the planets/systems that own their biltong to the jedi; the people that by tradition like the jedi (barabels, zeltrons, etc.); conservatives that idolize the old Republic and see the jedi as an important part of the Republic, be it old or new; senators allied with the Smugglers alliance; etc., etc.
    Also there is the ruling family of the Hapes consortium - that are, to my understanding, important aliases to the NR and probably a main exporter of luxury goods - are pro-jedi.

To me Borsk should be balancing the two interest groups, not really favour one of them; he is after all more of a charier politician than a real believer.

Also I am a bit surprised that Dac is among the anti-jedi fraction

11. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    So was everyone else. It's because of Pwoe, the first Quarren representative the planet's ever had. He's obsessed with his own power, that much has been stated, and sees the Jedi as a potential threat to that power because they've favored the Mon Cal in the past. He was nominated over Ackbar, IIRC, and no one IU knows precisely why, since Pwoe is a big a pain to Borsk as he is to everyone else.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Wasn't Ackbar retired anyway though? I thought he retired because Borsk was CoS, but maybe he retired because he wasn't in the advisory council.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    How I imagine Vergere must feel about the way she's portrayed in the art:

[​IMG]

(Actually, that's how I imagine Vergere must feel about almost everything that's happened since the NJO ended.)

Daala, Big Fat'Lya, Gorefiend and 7 others like this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Obi-Wan is the Jedi to go to when you need to drown out your troubles in the bottom of a bottle.

15. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    He retired after Pwoe's nomination to the Senate and Borsk's council. Basically, after the nomination process where Pwoe was railroaded through, he threw his flippers up, said "Screw this, I'm done", and retired to Dac. That left the Jedi without one of their foremost allies in the government, especially after Leia stepped down.

Where did you get that picture of Vergere, Uli? That's actually pretty funny.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's a photoshopped image of Vergere from the Essential Guide to the Force.
    [​IMG]

17. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Ah, I see. She looks a million years old in that picture...

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    "Jacen actually believed that bunk about me? I must've made a really karking bad impression." :(

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    A magician never reveals his-- DAMMIT, DigitalMessiah.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Obi-Wan learned from the master. Labyrinth of Evil sealed the greatness of Obi-Wan's drunk escapades for me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    "Speaking of hands..."
    "Were we?"
    "Yes. At least, I think so."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been a couple of years since I last read it...wasn't Anakin wasted in that scene as well?

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004