main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Su'cuy Mereel! Always good to see a new face. We are actually fairly active compared to some of the other fanclubs in the EUC and every new member makes us even more so. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The RC series is my favorite set of Star Wars novels, so in my opinion you made a good choice. :p So welcome!

[​IMG]

LieutenantMereel likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Welcome to the boards, Mereel! If you're interested in more SW books, I'd suggest checking out the Lit board. And if you have any questions or are looking for suggestions I'd direct you to this thread.

But you've definitely come to the right thread to discuss the RC books. I think Robimus has the member roster somewhere, so he can help add you to this list if you'd like.

3. LieutenantMereel

LieutenantMereel Jedi Padawan

Sep 1, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome you two. I feel at home already. How are Karen Traviss's other Star Wars novels? I know she has done at least a couple.

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I enjoyed them for the most part. In fairness, other people's reviews of them are...mixed.

[​IMG]

5. LieutenantMereel

LieutenantMereel Jedi Padawan

Sep 1, 2013
    As for the Clone Wars Series, what the heck is up with the Mandalorians in that? Dont get me wrong, Im a fan of the show, but why are they so different? Is there a canon answer or is it a simple case of retcon?

6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    It's...complicated. Basic answer is that the peacenik New Mandalorians are simply a faction we hadn't heard of before.

[​IMG]

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    She loves Boba and her Mandos. That's the biggest issue I've seen crop up - that instead of following what is seemingly a normal plot in a subseries, she puts her babies and their language in as often as possible.

I love them though. I am crap at the language and even more crap at remembering anything about the culture but it's so rich and fun to read. I'd equate it to Zahn and Thrawn, and how you just want to know MORE.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Traviss also has some.... radical views on the Jedi, to say the least. The opinions on her Legacy of the Force books aren't helped either by the general displeasure with that series and the directions it took.

But that's another discussion for another place and time. ;)

I like her books for the most part. She's one of the best SW authors when it comes to writing POVs, which allows you to really connect with her characters. Hence, this fanclub. :p

9. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

I couldn't agree more. Disregarding all the controversy surrounding her and Star Wars for a moment, I think Traviss and her writing played a big part in keeping me interested in Star Wars into my adult years. I almost wonder where I'd be if I hadn't read Hard Contact all those years ago...

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I know I wouldn't be on these forums, and would be only a peripheral fan of Star Wars.

So, in a way, y'all can blame KT for you all having to put up with me. :p

[​IMG]

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  11. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    I was actually legit pissed off when Del Rey or whoever pushed KT away, definitely one of the better SW writers there is.

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I was more upset that we won't get a conclusion to the RC/IC series. But that allows for me to fill in the blanks myself. :p

As to her reasons for leaving, I leave those to her and don't give it any thought.

[​IMG]

13. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013

I do believe she released what she would've wrote for the last IC book, I completely forgot where I read it but I remember seeing and wanting to come back to it because I didn't have the time to read it all at the time. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so could they link it?

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah it has been posted here before, but I don't have the link handy.

[​IMG]

15. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I still need to finish RC... I think I was on the third book? Good series, just got too busy to read.

16. thebeanpole

Aug 11, 2013
    I was very disappointed when I heard she would no longer be writing Star Wars. She's a fantastic writer, and did a very good job with at least the first two RC novels. I shudder to think what would have happened to the world of the clone army and the commandos if another, less capable writer had been put in charge of the project...

17. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013

DO IT NOW

Rebecca_Daniels and thebeanpole like this.
  18. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    *flaps hand* I'll get to it once I settle back into my uni schedule. And charge my e-reader. :p Seriously though, I will get back to it soon, I was quite enjoying it all, very curious where things are going (though I spoiled myself about Etain, sigh)

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    This isn't what I remember reading, but her blog format probably changed.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Is it okay that I call Order 66 "The Marriage Book"? Because there are four weddings in that book.

Shereshoy Cabur and thebeanpole like this.
  21. thebeanpole

Aug 11, 2013
    And it's a book that's supposed to be written about some of the most deadly special ops units in the galaxy, no less. :( Something tells me a book written solely about Delta Squad would maybe have had less mumbo-jumbo romance drama and more of Sev and Scorch ******** with each other, some random whoring, lots of explosions, Sev stabbing badguys, Sev stabbing more badguys, Wookiees, plenty of satisfying Trando headshots, and maybe a even a crazy speeder chase or two. Oh well...

BARDAN EDIT: You have to star out the entire word, not just part of it.

22. thebeanpole

Aug 11, 2013

Sorry! My mistake I'll keep that in mind.

23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    No worries. ;)

[​IMG]

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Welcome here.

I generally enjoy Karen's work. She made me enjoy Mandalorians where as before I read her work I didn't. She laso Adopted Gilad Pellaeon and the Imperial Remnant for a little while which further endeared her to me.

She is easily one of my favorite Star Wars writers - and she does have a lot of fans - but also has a lot of folks who didn't enjoy her books. Best for you to read them and decide for yourself. :)

Commander_Ducky and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Oh, by the way....

Hi, I'm Pants. I'm generally a lurker who pops in with random stuff every so often (in case you couldn't tell). I liked the Mandalorians before I knew what they were since my older brother has a (badly-rendered version copied from a paused VHS tape in the '80s) Mythosaur tattoo. So I'm a big fan of Traviss and her work with making the entire culture much more rich than I could have ever imagined.