main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Dr. Nerdcalm (or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Speculation)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Going back to London (and not Sydney) is the only disappointing move thus far....I want my Aussie spoilers !

2. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Good post Hellhammer. Although I am sufficiently guilty of what you refer to as panic in regards to a worst case scenario. And the reason for this is partly because that's the other half of the speculative fun. There's the theorizing about the future plot, yes, and I have no shortage of theories. But then there is the very real possibility that Episode VII will be an unmitigated disaster - a slim possibility to be sure, but extant nonetheless. For every suggestion that leads to an optimistic vision for the future of Star Wars, there is a mirror notion to how it could go totally wrong. Since at this point, every single little aspect could go either way, it's just as much fun to envision the worst Episode VII imaginable as it is to hope for the best. And since as we Star Wars fans well know, goodness is in the eye of the beholder. Episode VII *WILL* be a divisive film, there is no doubt about that, and every one of us here, Saga fans, OT fans, and EU fans alike and beyond, will eventually fall to one side of the fence - 'til then let's try to keep our balance.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Simply put, I read 'Interview with a Vampire' years before it was turned into a movie, and was one of millions who had an absolute coronary when it came to the casting of Lestat...

Ironically, it's the ONLY movie I can stand Cruise in (pre-couch jumping crazy).... in fact, I think his Lestat was breathtakingly wonderful....

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Obsession leads to attachment
    Attachment leads to speculation
    Speculation leads to worrying
    Worry leads to panic
    Panic leads to fear

OH MY GIDDY AUNT!!! THERE'S A NEW STAR WARS TRILOGY COMING OUT!!!!!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Spoilers are the quick and easy path, seductive they are.

JainaSoloYJK and Echo-07 like this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Am I the only one who keeps misreading this as "nerdclam"?

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Hellhammer, I salute you as a person and endorse your thread 100%. ^:)^

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This blueprint for reasonableness has been temp-stickied. Don't worry... people still have the right to be completely irrational and unreasonable. :p

9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Ah, so we can now see if the OP can attract as many, if not more, "likes" than Grimby's OP in the now-archived "Here we go again" thread, which incidentally, may be the most "liked" post in the entire forum. He's getting there! ;)

Now, to stay on topic. I wholeheartedly enjoy the positivity that The Hellhammer is trying to instill. Speculation is definitely meant to be fun, and we needn't be all so serious about it until we actually receive more concrete, confirmed info. I wasn't around the boards to speculate prior to and during the time leading up to the release of each installment in the PT, so posting in a Star Wars forum with other like-minded folks eagerly awaiting the new ST is new to me, and I admit I'm enjoying every moment of it. Just killing time reading through many of the posts here can be quite entertaining, and sharing our own thoughts and ideas for what we envision the ST to be like is certainly part of the fun. Keep at it, people, and remember to try and (wait, there is no 'try') stay positive about the new trilogy!

TX-20 likes this.
  10. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    @Hellhammer: You officially win the board (if not the Internet) with the title of this thread alone. ^:)^

In essence....

Sarge and The Hellhammer like this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Nah, he's not won The Internet... it's been won before, apparently.

:p

12. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I agree completely and since I have faith in JJ (he revived ST for me) and Arndt and especially the casting from Nina Gold (look at her perfect GOT casting) I am not even slightly worried that I won't enjoy these new movies. And even though we have a 30 pages discussion about the film/digital, I'd say that about 90% of the people that took place in that discussion were optimistic about the format chosen...

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    One of the things I'm very much looking forward to is that atmosphere in the theatre during the premiere. No what people said about the Prequels later, positive or negative, everyone cheered when cool stuff happened. That's something really cool, sharing the whole first viewing experience with a room full of fellow fans.

Besides that, I'm really curious about the evolution of recognizable things from OT. In PT, the look had to gradually shift into what would resemble the OT look. Here they will build up on those two styles and give us something completely new.
    And yes, there are tons of things to speculate about but the very first that comes to mind, and probably interests me the most, is the look of troopers :D
    I don't know whose troopers they will be, Rebel, New Republic, Imperial Remnant, some third faction... but it's almost 100% certain that we'll get new troopers and damn, I'm hoping for some cool badass armors. Hordes of faceless soldiers nuking it out against someone are almost as much a staple of Star Wars as is the lightsaber heh :p

14. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    The Hellhammer

So you have optimism, you have positivity, you have common sense, and you actually seem to be able to enjoy SW and take it for what it is....

you're in the wrong place dude :p

All joking aside - =D==D==D=

15. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Great post and I like that it is stickied to the top. Hopefully with it there, people will see it and be reminded to try to stay focused on the positive.

I love Star Wars. I always have. Since that day in 1977 when I saw it for the first time, I was blown away. As a 6 year old, it was seminal and played a major role in my formative years. The only sadness I had was at the end of ROTJ when I thought the adventures on screen were over.

Then, fast forward to 1999 when I was able to take my 6 year old firstborn to see new Star Wars. The moments leading up to the GFFA and John Williams bang were incredibly emotional and I got teary eyed. Once again, at the end of ROTS, I felt that same sadness as this is all I will have from this saga.

But stop the presses! There is to be more! I am ecstatic and I feel those same happy memories flooding back to me and they still surprisingly make me teary eyed. In fact, when reading some posts on thread about the opening credits the other day, I got all verklempt and my wife asked me what was wrong and if I was ok. I responded that nothing was wrong, and that I was actually better than ok. I tried to explain to her it was "only SW" and even though she looked at me a little funny, she knows how much I love this saga.

I thank the maker that it has brought so much joy and happiness to my life and that it will always be in my heart.

This is what Star Wars means to me. I can't wait to be in the theatre on opening night for EpVII, settling into my seat, getting that feeling of "here we go again" when that GFFA pops up, the silence and anticipation of the SW theme and then the trumpets blaring that first "BOOM!".

Nerdgasm!!!

I am getting all verklempt again just thinking about!

FRAGWAGON, FinleySlade, eht13 and 4 others like this.
  16. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Not worried at all, just irritated they have not annouced the big three yet.
    I mean why are they waiting, or is Harrison waiting for more money
    Because I am pretty sure they could offer they other 2, 1 million each and they would be where do I sign.
    Unless Harrison is like on principle I want them to get as much as me, or I don't sign.
    What else could be holding that "Official" announcement up ? :confused:

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not worried in any way possible. It'll happen when it happens. Just enjoy life. Stop and smell the coffee.

FinleySlade likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

I think you might be ;)

19. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    Well put, Hellhammer. I especially agree that this is a good time to be a Star Wars fan. There is a lot to look forward to! I love the idea of a thread based on optimism and positivity, the "What will keep your butt happily in the seat?" thread.

When I really think about it, I'm really excited for another Star Wars film. I can't wait for the fanfare and to read an opening crawl that I've never read before. Just ponder that for a moment. Star Wars will blaze across the screen, the fanfare will wash over you and an opening scrawl will begin to prep you for the adventure to come. How excited are you going to be reading that for the first time? How awesome is it that our kids may have a chance to experience that excitement on the big screen, just like we did when we were kids?

Specifically, I'm ridiculously excited for more Star Wars music composed by John Williams. As a music major in college and a music teacher by trade, the music is one of my favorite parts of the whole Star Wars experience. The lush orchestral backdrop is half of the fun for me, and I can't wait to hear what new themes the films will contain.

I have a good feeling about this. :)

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the very first lightsaber ignition will be a rather epic scene. I'm hoping it's gonna be Luke and honestly - not too early on in the movie. Let us wait some 25-30 minutes and then...hah, just imagine the cheer in the theatre at that one ;)

21. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    You wonderful, Kubrick-referencing Son-of-a-Bith, you did it.

I've seen fan forums get irreversibly taken over by an overwhelming tide of negativity and vitriol. I'm a Bioware fan (if that means anything to you, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about).

When you care about something, its easy to worry that it will go in the worst possible direction, and its easy for that worry to turn into a deep seated sense of pessimism.

I applaud you for standing up for optimism. While its fine for people to express legitimate concerns and contrarian points of view, too much cynicism will dilute what this forum was made for in the first place: celebrating our love for Star Wars.

22. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    Oh, man, I can't wait. I hope it is Luke Skywalker as well, but I hope even more that it is something we cannot predict and better than we can imagine.

On a similar note: When will we first see the Falcon? I think they are going to have a hard time not playing that scene up for sentimental value, and that doesn't bother me a bit. It would be pretty fun if our nostalgia was not shared by the next generation of characters, though, for contrast. Maybe a member of the next generation could even call it a piece of junk!

Yes, I had a very difficult time talking to other Bioware fans after Mass Effect 3. The conversations so often turned toxic and it simply wasn't fun anymore. There is really no point in spending hours talking about the things you dislike. This is something I could never really get about the Red Letter Media reviews: Why spend hours upon hours creating hour length rants explaining in detail why you hate something? Life is too short to devote so much time to the things you hate. Instead, do the opposite. Celebrate the things you love!

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, how about the time that dude from all those teen rom-coms and Brokeback Mountain was cast as the Joker. Remember when everyone's worst fears were realized, and it was a box office bomb and his role was savaged by the critics?

Yeah...I don't either.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Dr. Nerdcalm? Forget it he is on a roll.

Seriously, though, when is a nerd calm about anything? ;)

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I prefer Dr. Geekrage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.