main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Yuuzhan'tar: The Yuuzhan Vong Homeworld

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Otto_den_Ktulu, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Legacy is coming back, so does that mean new potential Yuuzhan Vong characters? I hope so.

Force Smuggler and Samayel_ like this.
  2. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    which guide?, the only images of Shimrra i have seen are some close ups of his face or Shimra´s back.
    i REALLY hope so.

3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Those images are indeed of Shimrra's back or face. Sorry to disappoint you!

4. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    DAYUM that's awesome

Hi fellow Yuuzhan Vong! Together we shall crush the infidels and the infidel technology!:)

jhc36 likes this.
  5. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    And I noticed he looked an awful lot like Tsavong Lah on the japanese NJO covers.

General Immodet likes this.
  6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I just want to clarify right off the bat that I think the Yuuzhan Vong species is a brilliant addition to the Star Wars "added-mystique" that is the EU. Now I haven't read a lot of the books and therefore can only say that I appreciate the amount of thought and effort that must have gone into every additional book, comic, etc. in the series. Also I have Star Wars The New Essential Guide-Encyclopedia and the pictures and bios of the Yuuzhan Vong characters are-just like with the rest of the Star Wars Universe-"truly a sight to behold".

That said...there was the time Chewbacca had a moon crush him, and that...I feel like that is the "straw that broke the camels back" so to speak, as I just can't wrap my head around the need to kill off a character that was among the first characters everyone had seen when being introduced to Star Wars. I would like to think that the OT was/is the reason for Star Wars' successes past/present/future because if people hadn't liked the OT and its characters then that would have been hard for the Star Wars franchise to bounce back from-mind you not impossible-but very hard nonetheless. So I just never understood the necessity in taking away a character whom fans had invested themselves in...

Now I look forward to Episode 7 and the bright future of Star Wars, but find myself wondering as to if whether or not Chewie will be included in the ever-engaging Star Wars Universe...and if George Lucas does take from some plot points throughout any of the EU, then Chewbacca might not come back...and that in my opinion takes away from the otherwise welcome addition of the Yuuzhan Vong in the Star Wars Universe...

These are just my opinions of course, but I was wondering as to where you stand...do you, as fans of the EU, take Chewie's demise just as a building-block in creating the Yuuzhan Vong? If you're a fan of the EU, would you still like to see Chewbacca alive and well in Episode 7 and beyond? What do you think about OT characters deaths in the EU...does it detract from the EU for you as a fan, or do you just accept it as the Star Wars' ever-growing storyline?

Myself...I'll admit that I am predisposed to all of the Star Wars characters, I guess you could say, living happily ever after but letting us follow them always on there next adventure...Personally I like to look at any Star Wars character with that "cockeyed optimism" I've had since day one of being a Star Wars fan, where I just can't envision or accept any outcome that doesn't see "the heroes come home"...

How about you? Your thoughts?

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewie's death hurt really badly when I first read Vector Prime all those years ago but I loved that they were willing to shake up the status quo of everything. After the Empire surrendered we needed a new credible threat and since Lucas didn't want Luke offed it had to be Chewie. Besides I liked reading about how Han handled it all. The Vong are the coolest new species that the Expanded Universe has to offer. The Big 3 and the rest of the characters are ordinary beings (Force powers aside) that can be killed at any time and do age. I don't want to see them fighting into their 80's when they've been fighting in some war or other since their teen years. It's time to move on from them in the EU and let Jaina, Ben, Zekk, Kyp, Jag and the rest take over. Should have done that sooner or not done the 5 year time jumps between NJO and DNT and DNT and LOTF and how many ever years between LOTF and FOTJ.
    I can accept that the ST might be set in a different timeline so that Chewie can be in it. I hope they don't find a way to bring him back which might happen. Let him stay dead in the EU.

Blue_but_beautiful likes this.
  8. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I think the death of OT characters such as Chewbacca and General Madine added a little bit more drama to the stories in which they died and personnally I like drama.

The only character whose death I did not like was Anakin Solo.
    That is because his storyline was not finished yet.

9. Star Destroyer

Star Destroyer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2013
    *Peeks in....eyes widen...flees shouting...*
    Vong!Vong incoming! Raise the Fleet!

*Returns*
    ;)
    Hello there Yuuzhan Vong.
    I don't adore the Vong but they're cool with their biotech and all that. Those void shields of theirs really kicked some galactic butt at the beginning of the war.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Who here wants a series about the history of the Vong before the NJO? I do!

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Star Destroyer

Star Destroyer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2013
    Yep. That would be nice especially abt their life in their home galaxy. And a series about Zonama Zekot after NJO. Nice that would be.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    It was more than adequate as a portrayal of how no one was safe. No longer could you read a story, see the hardship they were going through, and KNOW that they were going to be okay. It set the stage for stories such as Star by Star, with the deaths of important characters etc. It was a great opener.

13. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Precisely, I think for the first time in a long time, nobody was safe anymore, no character (save for maybe Luke) was definitely going to be sticking around for the duration. I believe the term the writers used at the time, was "Killing the family dog" (Sorry Chewie, I loved you as much as the next Wookiee, but that's how it was!) It had immense impact on every single member of the main characters, not to mention those related to them, truly showed that the Yuuzhan Vong, they didn't mess around. And while some might argue that the billions they slaughtered throughout the course of the war would show this, nobody really knew at that stage, what to expect from these extra-galactic invaders. It did upset a lot of fans, and to some extent, I can see why, but for me personally? It was the one major event that actually brought me back to reading the EU, at a time when I was all but ready to give up on it. I only had to read a few scenes with Yomin Carr and I was hooked. Don't even get me started on Shedao Shai or Tsavong Lah, we'll be here all week ^:)^

As for a comprehensive history of the Yuuzhan Vong before the NJO, Harrar highlights a lot of the major aspects in his talks with Han and Luke, would be very interesting to see more of what happened back then, though I am not sure how many people would go for it, simply because of the affinity for hatred where the YV are concerned. It's good to see one turn up in a new book though, perhaps now we'll see a little integration?

You may have seen this already, but while (definitely not) surfing the internet abomination today, I found an article speculating about the new SW movies plot again - a couple of responses actually suggested the Yuuzhan Vong become the main bad guys rather than the rumoured Jaina vs Jacen plot.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-rumour-episode-vii-solo-kids-092100406.html

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    real talk here though. Does anyone have a good guide on Yuuzhan Vong Pronunciation??? Thanks.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Me too! I think the Vong are descended from a group of Rakata who settled on Yuuzhan'tar.

16. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    I don't know how you guys feel about reddit but what do you think of our subreddit's new Snoo?

[​IMG]

17. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Nice...but the antenna on top of his head is an abomination <.<

jhc36 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    I never thought i would ever see a cute Vong.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see it being a bio-graft rather than a synthetic one.

20. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    A general pronunciation guide to the SW Universe would be appreciated...
    I still remember when I watched the Battle of Ryloth arc from TCW, I was shocked about how they pronounced 'Wat Tambor'...

21. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    That's something that was brought up at Celebration Europe fanfic writers meet in 2007, how the Yuuzhan Vong pronounced various things. While many of us said things exactly the same way, there were a few differences when it came to others, such as some of the creature names ie - Tu-scart and Rikyam
    They also altered depending on accent too, so it would be fun to actually hear an 'official' Yuuzhan Vong accent saying these things.

jhc36 and Robimus like this.
  22. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    There probably are many YV accents, aren't there?

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Not that it has the Yuuzhan Vong in it, but the Galactic Phrase Book and Travel Guide has a lot of fun stuff in it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Phrase_Book_&_Travel_Guide

24. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Pronunciation of Yuuzhan Vong names and tech would be pretty awesome, I'm sure just between the few of us here the range would be great. Perhaps some kind of audio file for the way we pronounce some of the names would be awesome.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Maul Lockdown looks like it might be worth a read by the people of this thread.........

purplerain likes this.