main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Sad News] Ann Crispin has passed away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Story: https://www.facebook.com/ann.crispin.5/posts/10153220094850440

I don't follow her on facebook myself, but I received word about this post and thought it merited a thread. Not least because of Ann Crispin's role as an author, her formerly high presence on these boards, but also because it seemed like a thing to do.

I don't know what she's going through or what the prognosis is... I wish her the best, but from the sounds of it, it seems that she's prepared for the worst. :(

Update:

:(

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I sincerely hope that she can overcome it. Her Han Solo trilogy was terrific stuff.

Reaper63 likes this.
  3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've never read any of her work, but having lost several members of my family to cancer, this sounds all too familiar and is very sad.

I hope that whatever is going on with her, she can either make a recovery or go comfortably.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sixteen years later, The Paradise Snare remains the only Star Wars book to make me cry.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Huh. Which part?

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Bria's letter.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    That's terrible news. :(

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Very sad news indeed. She will be in my prayers. [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

10. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    THat's really sad to know.
    The Han Solo Trilogy is my favorite book series in the EU. She's a great at writing.
    All my best wishes to her and her family.

11. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Aww that is sad. I loved her work on the Han Solo trilogy. Best trilogy since the original movies if you ask me. Best wishes to her!

12. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Aww that is sad. I loved her work on the Han Solo trilogy. Best trilogy since the original movies if you ask me. Best wishes to her!

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Best wishes, Ann, you're in my prayers. :(

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Because it was such good news that she was leaving Han, you wept tears of joy, right?

This is terribly sad news. I'm a big fan of her trilogy, particularly her respect for the HSA and Han as a character. It sounds like she is getting what she needs when the worst happens - good care and the comfort and support of friends and family. Best wishes to her and her family.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Crispin was one of those few authors who did some serious research into the prior EU before writing her own stuff, and was able to simultaneously add her own creations, every one memorable. Her background on Han tied together a lot of the earlier side comments characters made in previous stories, and The Hutt Gambit added a ton of new info to the EU criminal underworld. Some of the best Hutt family intrigue there. I had always hoped she'd return to write another criminal-centric EU novel.

I wish her the best.:(

16. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    This is very upsetting news.

One of my fondest memories is where I read the Han Solo Trilogy in one week over summer between sixth and seventh grade. I like it so much that I got the audio book (abridged, to my dismay), and acted it out with my action figures.

I doubt Ann is reading this, but if she is, I just wanted to say thanks for the memories.

17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, exactly. I read the HST back when I still had plenty of EU stuff to read, and there's a bunch of times when I've stumbled across a character that sent me back to her books. I don't know if it's my all-time favorite group of books, but it's probably the best tie-in job and certainly the best origin story ever told in the expanded universe.

I am really bummed. Hope she makes it, however pessimistic she sounds about it.

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    So sorry to hear this. I will add her and her family to my prayers.

19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I will never forget that one part when the Hutt moves towards the Dead Hutts baby.....

20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I still haven't read the Han Solo Trilogy - I know, bad fan, bad - but her novel Sarek is still one of my favorite pieces of Star Trek writing, and not just because it focuses on my favorite character. And the handful of posts I've gone back and read on the forums (her period of high activity here was before my time) were the writings of a fellow fan with a good soul.

Clear skies, Anne.

MistrX likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Seriously, she was the James Luceno of her day.

But yeah, wishing her the best of health. It sounds like she's at least very comfortable, happy and loved right now, and that's all anyone in her situation can really ask for.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't say the same thing, I got teary-eyed by Stover's masterful opening epigraph and introduction to the RotS novelization, but that letter was definitely moving, if I could ever remember what it said. And its actually been a lot less than sixteen years since I read it, but that was the first and only time I read the trilogy.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    2nd best trilogy in the EU imo. Hope you get better Ann! I would love to see another SW trilogy by her someday.

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I hope she gets better and she'll be in my prayers.

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This is so sad. [face_praying]

Really loved her books.

However, her books don't make up the sum of the person. They are just a few pages, in a storied life.

I feel for her, her family, and her friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.