main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I mentioned BioShock Infinite before, and while there are no giant spiders or anything, there is Songbird. Stuff. Of. Nightmares.

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    This is my half-year anniversary as a member of the Jedi Council Forums, and more importantly, LACWAC (or what's become of it :p, SWTV), so I thought I'd take the time to make a few observations about my time on the boards.

But first off, I wanted to respond to this post by Seerow:
    You know, I've noticed since I first joined the forum that many of the LACWAC regulars have gone MIA, either for long periods of time or they haven't been around since after news of TCW's cancellation. QuangoFett's absence is most prominent to me, because she was to me one of the most welcoming users when I first joined the boards; in fact, she was responsible for my most "likes" for nearly two months and we had some fruitful discussions during my first few days on the board. But I don't think she's posted here since late March, and there are a number of other regulars like rumblewagon, Fanboy, CaptainRex115, etc. who also seemed to not post here anymore---perhaps as a result of the off-season? We've had a number of new users becoming regulars here, to be sure, but I don't think LACWAC is as vibrant now as it was during TCW's run, though that's not surprising. Perhaps Quango did end up being a turncoat and left as a result? :p

Speaking of "likes", the new trophies have extended all the way to 10,000 "likes" (again, anakinfansince1983 is the sole owner of every "like" trophy!), which is pretty neat. I bring this up because I noticed the "LACWACky" trophy's description indicates that this forum is one of the major culprits in getting a user "likes", which I have to say holds some truth, as many users here have good likes-to-posts ratios. I myself am a testament to that. But I've noticed from my time in other boards that the forum that seems to get a user the most "likes" is undoubtedly the ST forum, in particular, the highly-trafficked 7SA forum, which I've noticed is practically a "like"-fest. During the past month or two alone I've nabbed ridiculous numbers of "likes" versus posts, simply by posting a few times in that particular forum, (in addition to SWTV, of course). Many of the users there also have a crap-ton of "likes". Today alone I managed to get 16 "likes" before I posted once! And this isn't really just a one-day fluke, I recall a day where I got 20 "likes" versus three posts, and just a week ago, 29 "likes" to seven posts. So, I just wanted to bring this observation for those gunning for those "like" trophies, to know where to post. ;)

I've also been paying attention to the LACWAC Member Interview thread and occasionally taking glimpses into the Literature Member Interview thread, and noticed that the interviews in Lit are moving at a much faster pace despite the interviewees often giving out long, verbose responses. The questions there are certainly interesting, and they've clearly taken a page out of LACWAC's book. I also noticed that they tend to include multiple questions at a time, perhaps to speed things through. Here in this forum, however, most of the interviews have gone fairly slowly, sometimes taking many days between responses. I know it's the off-season, but is there a way to encourage more prompt responses? Not that I'm complaining. BTW, Todd the Jedi, perhaps you can include the list of folks who've signed up to interview after The Shadow Emperor? Just out of curiosity!

Anyway, I consider this forum to be my favorite during my brief time here, and I've posted here for about 3/4 of my posts. You guys are awesome, and even though TCW is almost over, I look forward to discussing the bonus content episodes with all of you, whenever they come out, and of course Rebels when it finally airs. Hopefully I can shed the "newbie" tag soon enough and become a "LACWACky" member of the forum! :)

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Been on this board for a year and a day. Plus time on the Temp boards. Wow time has flown. Almost 1 year anniversary of news of Episode 7 coming out as well.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

I think the "he" is a "she"...

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Oops. My mistake! Q doesn't have a gender specified, so I usually default to male in my head whenever that happens. :oops:Clearly, I am still a noob!

Edit: Thanks for letting me know before the 30-min edit window closed. It's all fixed now! :D

6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Looks like we registered the same day. ;)
    I spent some time in the temp forums, but didn't become a semi-regular until the boards moved back.

And completely unrelated; for anyone who likes Minecraft and spaceships, you might want to check this out: http://star-made.org/

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    ****!
    They must be scary dreams.

07jonesj likes this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I've recently gone on a movie rampage and have been watching one or two movies everyday now that I've got some spare time from university.

Over the past few weeks, I've watched:

The whole X-Men franchise twice and even watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine three times. The X-Men franchise is one of my favourite franchises of all time now and X-Men: First Class is currently my 10th favourite film of all time.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, which are really different from all of the other superhero movies, because they just seem much more serious and realistic, probably because none of the characters have superpowers, just strength and fighting skills.

The Spider-Man trilogy, which were quite good, not a big fan of Spider-Man though, but I really wanna watch The Amazing Spider-Man. My favourite from the trilogy was Spider-Man 2, mostly because Doctor Octopus was a pretty cool villain and the fight scenes were great.

The Fantastic Four films, which were both really good and fun films to watch. All of the characters were really likeable and the humour was used really well. Human Torch and Silver Surfer are awesome!

I just watched Iron Man 1 and 2, which were both really good. I hadn't seen Iron Man since it came out in the cinemas and I don't remember it being this good, but I still like Iron Man 2 more. I need to buy Iron Man 3 and watch it, even though I didn't think it was that good, I might change my mind after watching it again.

I'll probably watch Thor tomorrow, Captain America the next day and then The Avengers the day after.

I also wanna watch both of the Ghost Rider films, because it's been a while since I've watched the first one and I haven't even watched the second one yet.

07jonesj likes this.
  9. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Concerning movies, I saw Red 2 last week, just as nice as Red.
    - Girl Interrupted, I quite enjoyed this movie, very heartbreaking.
    - Kiss the Girls, good thriller.
    - Batman Begins, a good movie.

I also watched again The Last Samurai, Oblivion ( for the 4th time ! ).

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Q's got issues with time management. Dude comes and goes. Will probably come back eventually. You sure you aren't him in disguise with those WOTs? =b

Yeah we had some greats discussions going into the end of season 5. The members with the detailed and thoughtful posts who bring me insight always stand out in those discussions. Yourself for example. The Maul arc and the finale gave everyone plenty to discuss and then there after we had plenty to discuss with the cancellation rumors and the campaign after that which was none the less fun. We've already speculated to death about the Bonus Material. We have nothing but wish lists and speculation on Rebels so naturally the forum slows down and people usually come and go on forums. Now that TCW is all but done and there is a new show on the distant horizon I don't find LACWAC much less active its just the cast of members changed and so did the discussions. I'm sure it will slow down more with folks going back to school and without the promise of anything new to discuss. However I don't see LACWAC completely dying out like some of the boards I frequent that have only a faint of hope of ever seeing new material to the franchises they follow.

I'm probably was guilty of a low like to post ratio when I was active. Nobodies probably noticed but I've been far less active as of late since I changed departments at work and my schedule changed to mornings. I liked alot of posts in my head but would forget to hit the like button, probably because I've never much cared for karma and reputation systems which I've often seen folks on forums get far to competitive about. This forum is a great exception from what I've seen however. I've frequented more forums than I care to list over the years and this section of JFC has been my favorite. Sometimes members get into it here just like every forum I've seen but I've rarely seen what I'd truly count as a flame war and I've always found LACWAC to be a very friendly place which was a breath of fresh air after RangerCrew.

I don't post in other sections besides Community very rarely when something I'm interested in comes up. Alot of that has to do with my insecurities about still being a total n00b when it comes to SW. =b

Circular Logic likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Still? :p

Circular Logic : Congrats on the half year. Glad to see the kind of likes to posts analysis I'd expect from you in a post like this. :p

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    JackG Seriously, ****ing Songbird. [face_nail_biting]Though I gotta hand it to the game, I do admire it for how well it does creepy and nightmare fuel.

Circular Logic You make some fair points on the interviews. I've been tolerant of the slow pace since it is indeed a lull in terms of SW television. But considering how long the list of interviewees currently is, it may be time for some reforms.

And BTW. Since you've made it a half year, you're pretty much committed for life. Congrats! [face_party]

Circular Logic likes this.
  13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Just watched Oblivion...

nice to see what real plotholes look like.[face_mischief]

I liked the flick Morgan Freeman.
    :)

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  14. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Hey people.

How's the Rebels thing going?

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ask me late next year. At this point Sunrail is almost more exciting,

My mom is trying to get me to watch that movie with her. She said she watched it and couldn't follow it at all so she wants me to watch Oblivion and explain it to her. I've got no interest in seeing it though.

LOL, if you asking 'still' then that's not saying much on if I've graduated. =b

eht13 likes this.
  16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Good luck with explaining things, there was a whole lot of dumb going on.:p

Seerow likes this.
  17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Never heard of it but I just looked it up and it looks right up my ally. If I watch it will your avatar make sense or are you just messing with me??

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    No, I can vouch for CT here. BTILC is indeed amazing. Classic 80s pulp. It's also practical effect heaven, for people who appreciate that stuff.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ^^^ This.

And yes, his avatar will make total sense.

Best thing that happened to the entertainment industry: the preservation of 80s movies in Blu- Ray format.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The Breakfast Club Barry Manilow's wardrobe approves.;)

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The International 80s Movies Historical Society, LACWAC Chapter.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Random question: When it comes to spoilers for movies that are not Star Wars (because those have designated boards here), what is considered proper etiquette?

About a week ago IGN.com made a big spoiler reference to Into Darkness right in the headlines for info regarding the DVD/Blu ray, and in the comments a lot of people were complaining that they had not seen it yet. Generally my thought was that if it has come and gone from theaters, it's fair game (wait for the dvd at your own risk). An exception is made for people that come out and say that they've not seen it - or played it, in the case of video games.

For instance, I posted on the TOR forums leading up to the launch of that game, and someone had mentioned never having played KOTOR and recently buying it due to good word of mouth, some jerk then walks in and drops the big spoiler for that game's plot.

So for instance, someone in this thread had mentioned not having seen Captain America. So, if I felt inclined to discuss that movie here, I would spoiler tag it as a courtesy. But had it not been mentioned in this thread that someone has yet to see the movie, then I would not spoiler tag it, since that movie has come and gone from theaters and is available for purchase.

I ask because when it comes to something like Man of Steel or Into Darkness or other films that are recent and have come and gone from theaters and may occasionally be mentioned here, at what point can plot details stop being spoiler tagged?

At what point can I say
    KHAAAANNNNNN!
    for Star Trek: Into Darkness

while not being a jerk?

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like spoilers at all, but my thinking is that once a movie has come and gone from the theaters, it's fair game.

If you've just returned from an opening night show and you're giving away spoilers, you're a jerk, but this much later? I think that those of us who are concerned about spoilers either need to just watch the film or decide that we don't care enough about watching the film to care about being spoiled.

TaradosGon likes this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yo, Todd the Jedi -- I'll be down for an interview either here in or in Lit. I am compiling a list of my favourite pieces of EU, so you better ask about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.