main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Sequel Trilogy space battles

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Sep 4, 2013.

?

What kind of space battles do you want to see in the Sequel Trilogy?

1. A space battle near a starship yard like Kuat or Fondor or near a black hole or in a nebula

71.4%
  2. A space battle with thousands of ships duke out in the Unknown Regions or outside the galaxy

48.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope the space battles in the ST will not be spectacular but even better than the space dogfights of the OT. I didn't find the space battles of the PT that interesting. The battle of ROTS was OK but I thought it was short. And they weren't fun without the Millennium Falcon. I thought the Falcon was going to play a huge part in the PT was reduced to a mere cameo.

Anyway I wonder what kind of space battles we can expect to see in the ST? It won't involve another Death Star to destroy hopefully. But how about the ST take cues from the EU when it's comes to bigger and better space dogfights? How about a space battle near a Shipyard like from the Thrawn trilogy like one near the Kuat shipyards or Corellian or even Fondor Shipyards? Or even a space war near a black hole like in Marvel Comics issue 54 Starfire Rising where Luke Skywalker flies the Falcon near a black hole to get an ISD caught in the black hole's gravitational pull or a dogfight in a nebula like in the SW novel Dark Apprentice or Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan? How about a massive fleet of thousands of Jedi and Sith or even New Republic and Imperial Remnant warships and starfighters duke it out in the Unknown Regions or outside the galaxy? These are just some of my ideas to make the space battles in the ST make the space battles of the OT look like Star Wars the arcade game from 1983 which was one of the best video games ever.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    More capital ship vs. capital ship fights, in greater detail.
    Think of two seagoing warships in the 16th or 17th century and how those battles are presented on film. That's basically how Star Wars capital ship battles work as well, except we've only seen it for a few seconds, tops.
    I want to see the crews running around, manning guns, targeting, reloading, getting blasted, captain giving orders to maneuver this way or that... a bit more attention to all that.

Plus, I just love the fact that even though they can travel faster than light, have laser swords and Universe-bending monks and all kinds of crazy advanced tech... the big ship fights are basically the same - pull alongside the other guy, and pound the everliving **** out of him with every cannon you've got.

3. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I remember being totally transfixed as child by Luke and Han blasting TIE fighters in the Falcon. More like that, please. Give us some personal stakes, real suspense and action. Same goes for the attack on the Death Star, the chase through the asteroid field, well, pretty much anything with the Falcon. The space battles in the PT were largely unsuspenseful and I only really enjoyed Obi Wan and Jango in AOTC.

Here's hoping for some space battles that advance the plot in meaningful ways and give us some insight into the characters involved and not simply serve as a way to show off effects. And if/when I see the Falcon on the big screen, that'll cover a multitude of sins...

Messi, Ryus, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  4. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I think you could make any sort of battle work if we have investment in the combatants and there are actual stakes. the ROTS battle is so lacking because it's just sort of a cutscene, a transition into the action on the ship that Palpatine is held. The battle itself is just decoration and it's dissapointing. The same scale could work in a far different context.

5. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I'll just be "Faster, more intense!!!" :cool:

KevinM1 and Ganger like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want Space Ninjas.

danmcken and Ganger like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see one giant battle of just starfighters duking it out, another battle of just capital ships duking it out. A battle at a shipyard is one of my hopes for the ST. A battle near a Blackhole would be interesting.

8. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Just no more missiles that turn into droids that slowly rip a ship apart.

Why the hell is that a more effective weapon then just blowing a ship up?

Messi, Dak Oolron, Turinsd00m and 4 others like this.
  9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Space battles? Why would there be space battles?! :p

I like the ideas listed in the question options, especially the black hole idea. The idea of seeing an epic space battle near an event horizon offers some spectacular possibilities. However, who in the right mind would fly ships near a black hole to begin with? If there was no setup for this type of battle it would seem forced. LOL

BUT, yeah, I'd definitely like to see some variety in space environments for the battles to take place. And I'd like to see some practical model ships as well.

10. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    Sure, but for as cool as they look, AT-ATs are probably the most egregious example of ineffective weapons in Star Wars.

darth dariakus, Sarge and Dranem like this.
  11. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope that ships from the EU show up in space battles throughout the ST. Such as Z-95 Headhunters, Skipray Blastboats, Dreadnaughts, Carrack Class Cruisers, Inderdictor Cruisers, E-Wing starfighters and StealthX fighters. Or how about ships from the Legacy era show up in the ST like the Sabertooth-Class frigates, Ardent-Class frigates, Paelleon-Class Star Destroyers, CF-9 Crossfire starfighters, X-83 Twintail Stafighters which would be a lead in to the Legacy era.

How about in Episode VII we could have a space battle at one of the major shipyards like Kuat,Fondor,Corellia or even Rendili where the Sith/Empire try to take control of the shipyards and the Jedi/New Republic try to take it back from them and in Episode VIII the Jedi/New Republic and Sith/Empire fight over a long lost ancient fleet of Old Republic warships or dreadnaughts like in Tim Zahn's second book of the Thrawn Trilogy Dark Force Rising and in the climax of Episode IX either the Empire or Republic have a massive space battle with thousands of ships and suddenly the Empire or Republic unleash a fleet of 100 or so Death Stars to win the balance of the power in the galaxy.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "100 or so Death Stars" :rolleyes: :p

danmcken and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  13. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I could easily watch 2 hours like the first five minutes of Episode III. Make it happen, J.J. :D

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm glad Chiang and McCaig are on board. I'd bet cash money on all brand new ship designs.

I think people should train themselves to let go of the Millennium Falcon. It was an old ship in the OT. There will be a new hotrod.

CoolyFett likes this.
  15. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    We need more dogfights a la the Death Star sequence in ANH: up close and personal. Brought up to today's standards, of course, with regards to camera work.

TESB didn't really have any. A chase through an asteroid field doesn't really qualify as a "dogfight".
    RotJ came close but it was more this-fighter-destroys-this-other-fighter-in-a-pass-with-a-capital-ship-in-the-background.

TPM's wasn't as engaging because 1. we knew Anakin would live through it, and that bled all of the tension out of it; 2. Anakin is learning to fly as he flies, so there really isn't much opportunity for dogfighting; and 3. as soon as he figures it out, he ends up rolling his way into the Federation ship.
    AotC's sequence with Obi-Wan harkens back to TESB's sequence with Han. Again, doesn't really count.
    RotS's opening sequence harkens back to RotJ's: this-fighter-destroys-this-other-fighter-in-a-pass-with-a-capital-ship-in-the-background.

Ryus, KevinM1 and Sarge like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "We are the Lollipop Guild, and we welcome you to Munchkin Land."

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No one would, agreed, but the setup is quite easy. In the words of all powerful Ackbar It's a trap!
    but a trap that somehow goes wrong and the one who set the trap is forced to intervene, otherwise his target fleet will escape.
    Or there is an objective that must be destroyed (shipyard, space station, base, whatever) in stationary orbit / fixed position just beyond the event horizon.
    Or since no one in their right mind would go near a black hole, that's exactly where the fleet is hiding and the other guys find them and they decide "**** it, let's go."

There are ways to make it work :p

Ryus, Echo-07 and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Remember that bit in the Lost in Space movie where they fly the Jupiter 2 through a planet that's breaking apart? Maybe something like that, only bigger and with better SFX that ILM can do nowadays.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be interesting to see. How about some ships enter a gas giant or something?

20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    It would be cool to have a space battle that started in space, not neessarily centered around a stationary object like a death star, and ended on a planet, close to the ground at ridicoulously high speeds. We've already seen spaceships go in and out of planets (atmospheres) like it's nobody's business. I can see it happen and it would be much more in the vain of Star Was where science and astronomy doesn't matter at all. Black holes seem a little bit too sciency to me.

21. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Here's an awesome idea. How about a space battle near a black hole that's actually a wormhole. One ship chases another ship during a space battle through the wormhole and emerge in another neighbouring galaxy and encounter new allies and enemies and new worlds. Then at the end of Episode IX a fleet of Jedi and Republic warships and cruisers enter the wormhole to the new galaxy and have many adventures spreading the Jedi and citizens of the New Republic to new planets and moons while encountering new enemies setting the stage for the fourth Star Wars trilogy of Episodes X,XI and XII coming in 2025,2027 and 2029?

22. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Hey, this is exactly what I think as well. I really think that ANH is the best space battle, because we get to know the pilots during the battle. This wasn't really the case in ROTJ (imagine it would have been dear Wedge who steered his x-Wing in the bridge of the Executor, or Admiral Madine sharing the fate of Red Leader). In TPM we know no other pilot than Ani (who was sure to survive) and we couldn't care less if a CG clone pilot would bite it in ROTS. If Ani/Obi had had been shown to have a relationship to their clones as later depicted in TCW it would have been different, or if some known Jedi would have been shot down (by Grievous in his fighter), it could have been epic.

I also think the editing of the dogfight in ANH is the best yet. It is also the only good thing that came out of the SE...

Ryus and KevinM1 like this.
  23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I agree that there should be a space battle in Episode VII which mirrors the one in Episode IV, with the drama created by the main character having a central role and a clear objective with high stakes. Every other space battle in the series contains tension, but the real drama is always happening elsewhere.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I didn't vote for either because I don't really think I'd like to see either on screen. That said, I would definitely like to see more space battles in the ST. I think that the space battles in the OT and PT are pretty much on a par... although I will always have more of an emotional connection to the OT battles, simply because those are the ones I experienced as a child (specifically the Battle of Yavin). If they do want to mix it up in terms of dog fights etc. I think the only major battle scenario that they've not yet featured is an air/sea battle... I think that could be very interesting.

25. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    I'm sure we'll see space battles similar to that of the OT. I agree, the PT space battles were visually striking but painfully uninteresting.

danmcken, Ryus, Chewgumma and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.