main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A request from a novel hater.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'm a teacher. My students know I'm really into reading, and Star Wars, and so they automatically assume I'm into the Star Wars novels. I'm not. I think they're pretty awful, to tell you the truth. When I mention that, I'm always asked "well have you read them?"

My usual reaction is "Yes, I don't knock something without trying it."

I was about to get down this road again recently, and then I realized - "have you read them?" is a loaded question. I'm guessing very few people have read them ALL. I bring this up because, any time I do mention one I have specifically read, the reply is always "Well that one isn't very good, you need to try this one."

Today I say, fine. Convert me. Go ahead. If this thread can come to a consensus on what the absolute best EU novel is, I'll go out and read it as to be better informed. I'm asking those of you who are into this kind of thing to show me what the fuss is all about. So that you may know my tastes in literature, my absolute favorite novel is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. And for point of reference, the last SW novel I read was Fatal Alliance, and oh man, it was like slugging through internet fan fiction. Sorry, that's an insult to internet fan fiction.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Generally, "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising", and "The Last Command" are considered the best.

Also, they're the easiest to get into for non-novel fans.

Ditto "Shatterpoint."

3. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    The Han Solo trilogy: The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn are my faves.

Giovs and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    The Han Solo trilogy: The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn are my faves.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    We did a survey here a few years ago and ranked the top 100 EU works. These were the top 10. So if you're looking for non-movie the Thrawn Triology by Zahn is the highest ranked.

10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc - And the top ten kicks off with more Allston fun . . . he's owned the 10-19 bracket.

9. Shatterpoint - And Stover owns the top ten.

7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc - Stackpole pulls ahead of Allston in the X-wing race.

7. (tie) Legacy: Broken - The highest-ranking comic on the list.

6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology - Zahn's second set of Star Wars novels ranks nearly as high as his first.

5. Knights of the Old Republic - The highest-ranking video game, KOTOR kicks off the top five.

4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - And they said no one likes the NJO.

3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor - And they said no one likes the NJO, Jacen, or Vergere.

2. The Thrawn Trilogy - 100% classic.

1. Revenge of the Sith novelization - This was on nearly everyone's list. High on nearly everyone's list.

Ordo N-11, Jedi_Glover, Rew and 2 others like this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What would you be looking for in a SW novel? I haven't read Neverwhere. Do you want depth? A quality story?

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    If you're looking for "literate" Star Wars novels, Matthew Stover is easily the best choice. I'd recommend the Revenge of the Sith novelization; nothing less than a master display on how quality of prose can completely change and benefit a story.

Jedi_Glover, cthugha, Rew and 6 others like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anything by Stover, Luceno or Keyes.

I'm personally not a Thrawn fan but a lot of people do like the Zahn novels.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, if you're looking to be convinced, read Revenge of the Sith or Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. The Thrawn books are popular, but they're also flawed and there are plenty of people who can't stand them. I am not at all confident of their ability to sway someone who's not into the novels.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I was just having this conversation this year with someone who blindly hates EU things. Turned to me "Man, I still hate the EU but Darth Plagueis was kind of awesome."

So you might be okay with the Revenge of the Sith novelization, that and then, if you want very early / pulpy-feeling, different feeling Star Wars books, dig up the Han Solo Adventures -- his time basically just before the events of A New Hope...

Sarge likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. It's by the aforementioned Stover and is the best SW book written within the past... eight? years.

kataja and Son of a Bith like this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What are you counting back to, Revenge of the Sith, also by Stover?

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So you tell these kids that all Star Wars novels are bad based on the one that you have read? Am I reading that right?

Edit: Never mind, I see that I read that wrong.

It might be easier to tell you what you may enjoy if we know what you didn't.

14. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Add Kenobi to the list of EU gems that must be unearthed.

Gallandro, Gorefiend and HWK-290 like this.
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Shadows of Mindor is fantastic, but I'm not sure it's the best conversion novel. It's deliberately styled as a pulp adventure, a very weird pulp adventure, and one that I feel is far better if you've at least read Shatterpoint first.

I'm still gonna stick with either Revenge of the Sith or, as Jello recommend, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Both standalone, both accessible, both fantastic.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006

But of course!

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    My personal favorites are the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duo, the X-Wing novels including I, Jedi, and Traitor. I haven't read the ROTS novel but apparently it's very well done. Meaning, actually written well. I am sort of assuming that that's your complaint: that the actual quality of the prose isn't generally up to snuff. That may be a fair criticism - I haven't read any of those listed 'favorites' in years, besides Traitor (which is written well) - but there are some that are good, and your definition of 'good writing' may vary anyway.

Ordo N-11 and aleja2 like this.
  18. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    To echo what other people have said: Darth Plagueis, Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith, Kenobi, or Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. If you don't enjoy any of those, then you probably will never enjoy Star Wars novels.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Big Bad Yoda Daddy Can you list for us the Star Wars novels you have read? Because there are some that take place many years after the movies that I could think of recommending, but i'm hesitant to do so if you haven't read anything coming before or after them for reference.

Without knowing anything i'd recommend, and note that many people above me have suggested the same:

Darth Plagueis

Shatterpoint

Shadows of the Empire

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

Revenge of the Sith novelization

All of these would work because they're each standalone's, so you really only need the knowledge from the 6 films to read and enjoy them. If you've ever read the Jedi Academy Trilogy, i'd also throw in I, Jedi.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Without a doubt, go for Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, the ROTS novel, Plagueis, and Shadows of Mindor. If you don't like them, there's no help for you.

mes520 likes this.
  21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    There are a lot of good Star Wars books but with the caveat of being good Star Wars books. If you want the best book that just happens to have "Star Wars" printed on the cover, read all four of Matthew Stover's books, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart, and Rogue Planet by Greg Bear. Tbh I would probably draw the line right there.

kataja, Rew, Jeff_Ferguson and 2 others like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is gonna sound dumb, but...

Shadow Hunter. It got my mom into the EU and she doesn't even like scifi.

And if you like Gaiman Big Bad Yoda Daddy, you'll like Stover. Read Shatterpoint. Maybe Shadows of Mindor if you're into trippy stuff.

23. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Rogue Planet? You trying to scare OP off? :D :p

24. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Hell, to be convinced one need only read the opening to Revenge of the Sith.

Jedi_Glover, ILNP, cdgodin and 4 others like this.
  25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still stand by the opening epigraph and introduction to the RotS novelization doing more to enhance RotS and the PT in general than almost any EU work has enhanced any of the films.

tjace, Rew, timmoishere and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.