main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Hi Pants, welcome to the tribe. :)

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey Pants. I've seen you around the JCC. I've always considered getting a Mythosaur tattoo, but I think it's a little cliché at this point. :p

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Welcome, always good to another Mandalorian fan around!

[​IMG]

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    No one bloody knows what it is....still@@

Don't worry about cliche. focus on whether you actually want the tat :)

Mando-Man and thebeanpole like this.
  5. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Out of all the novels Traviss wrote for SW which would have to be your favorite?

Mine would have to be a tie between Order 66 and Revelations.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I liked Order 66 the best. It certainly has it's faults, but the first chapter really did it for me. Plus I love seeing the few glimpses of implementation of Order 66 that we actually do get to see.

[​IMG]

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked No Prisoners in particular.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Favorite would be Triple Zero. Order 66 is great, too. I think Imperial Commando: 501st would be my unquestioned favorite...if its sequel had been written so it wasn't a massive cliffhanger. That book had so much potential–Rede alone, for starters–and for it to be dropped is terrifically tragic.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  9. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Even if there were to be a sequel written by a different author, the canon changes to Mandalorians would be a massive obstacle to get around.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not really actually. Books like The Essential Atlas and The Last Jedi already took strides toward making it all work.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Not to mention the stellar work in the Essential Guide to Warfare.

12. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Well I guess I am a little behind in my SW literature then :oops:

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't read all of Warfare yet, but I mentioned the Atlas since that was one of the first attempts to pull things together, and it specifically dealt with the seeming contradiction of the nuclear-bombed Mandalore we see in the show with previous depictions of mostly farmland and such.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yes, yes to Todd you listen. :p

[​IMG]

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The New Mandalorians would be a massive obstacle for my enjoyment, because I can't take them seriously and the implications of their mere presence on Mandalore make the things Traviss changed seem innocent.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  16. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Well look at it this way, the Vong would have wiped out the New Mandalorians anyway. There is no way their police force could have even stood a chance against them.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  17. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

My favorite is Triple Zero for sure. Though Order 66 and Hard Contact were very good as well. But her second book in the series is my personal favorite.

I mean, it takes place on Coruscant, one of the most diverse and interesting (I think so, at least) locations in the galaxy. It introduces us to Delta Squad, the grim-faced and wisecracking group of professional killers we've all grown to love, and it also introduces us to the Mandalorian mercenaries who were always hinted at but had never made an appearance in anything until Triple Zero.

Honestly, just for the all the introductions and debuts alone this book is just awesome. It also has one of my favorite minor characters, the clone pilot Sicko. Guy definitely had balls with the crazy maneuvers he was pulling off with Omega on board. He certainly earned the respect of the commandos he was transporting, and when he died they were very affected by it.

All in all a solid book and one of my favorite Star Wars novels.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    True Colors was my favorite of the bunch. I liked how dense it was. It is at once an espionage thriller, a character drama, and a downright depressing look at expendable soldiers.

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    True Colors is likely my favorite of the bunch.

I really liked both the character drama and how Ko Sai was presented as such an interesting character. Bardan leaving and Etain staying at the end was really moving for me. I was so mad at Bardan for what I viewed as walking out on the Clone Troopers he claimed to care for.

I kinda got over it eventually but it really made me question Bardan's character at that moment. I really didn't believe he could help anyone from the outside looking in.

Also, I recently aquired some 331 Star Wars Miniatures at a thrift shop. These were my favorites :)

[​IMG]

20. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    For some reason I feel like this should be your new avatar Bardan_Jusik

[​IMG]

Commander_Ducky and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    [face_laugh]

I haven't changed my avatar since the move. I feel it is the one constant in the JC Forums universe. :p

[​IMG]

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  22. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    So thats what a bounty hunter does in his spare time

23. Otherwise

Otherwise Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2013
    Suppose I might as well drop in here as well.

I do count Traviss' work among the best in EU novels considering how much groundbreaking she's done in an area of the Star Wars universe that's simultaneously very popular and relatively unexplored. I'm not overly familiar with the amount of insight available in comics but from my limited understanding there was, at the time, very little material to go on regarding Mandalorians post-Revan.

At the same time, though, you would think that a society with such a pronounced martial focus wouldn't have such a permanent stick up their shebs about not being allowed to conquer the galaxy four millenia earlier. Pretty much everything Traviss writes regarding Mandalorians is rather interesting until they start mentioning the rest of the galaxy, then it's back to "We're so terribly undertrodden and we can't understand how we ever did anything to deserve it by the way the aruetiise can hang".

I do also wish her supposedly smart characters weren't so dumb; particularly her Clone Wars-era Jedi. "Yep, apparently the Jedi are almost solely responsible for everything wrong with the galaxy today. We're completely morally corrupt for reasons that are never explained and we never delve into. That nice Mando over there told me so. He's actually very agreeable when he's not shoving a blade into your gut. Hm? No, I don't think a thousands-year-old communal grudge has anything to do with it, why do you ask?"

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    "We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers" - Mace Windu

The moral corruption of the Jedi Order was as much a theme of George Lucas as it was Karen Traviss. And of course the reasons for the moral corruption are addressed in the Karen's books, just not everyone agrees with them. For instance the Jedi leading a cloned slave army, the Jedi serving the Republic regardless of its actions, the issues surrounding Jedi recruitment, so on.

Yes, Kal is very much the cult leader that draws in the followers, but there is a reason those followers are receptive to his words. The Jedi Order lost its way and a lot more Jedi than just Etain & Jusik turned in their resignations.

Commander_Ducky and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Even TCW shows this. Even Ahsoka turned in her lightsabers. The Jedi at this point in time are blinded by Palpatine and the dark side–it is possibly the only time where not having Force powers is more advantageous than having them, because there was no dark side to blind the non-Force sensitive people, and they could see clearly how the Jedi were going wrong. Now, Yoda and Obi-Wan, they realized what was happening by ROTS, and they tried to fix it. Too little, too late, though. It took a refreshing of the Jedi Order via Luke to get them back where they needed to be.

Robimus likes this.