main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So I wrote a thing.

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Please explain your definition of "female heavy."

"Something for everyone"? So female characters cannot be appreciated by males, and vice versa?

Random Comments and Gamiel like this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, it appears that #DiversityinSFF is a thing on Twitter today. Not sure why, but hey--nice timing.

Contessa likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That makes one:) and with the Army of light we have two
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

also the governor of Galidraan's castle is visibly inspired inspierd by the gothic architecture
    [​IMG]

B.t.w. do we have a thread about architecture in Star Wars?

Random Comments likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    No, but that should happen.

Also, has it ever occurred to anyone that Farfalla's bunch were on their way to the annual Mid Rim RenFest and just got waylaid?

Gorefiend and Random Comments like this.
  6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    AHAHAHAHAHA for half a second I thought you meant the movie about how a white dude saves a bunch of native blue people. I am a terrible human being. *facepalm*

But this does remind me that people have been telling me for years to watch these toons. Maybe after I finish getting through Gargoyles 20 years late...

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So the creative team of DC's Batwoman has walked off of the series, claiming repeated last-second editorial meddling, including refusing to let them depict the main character's lesbian wedding.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hope that just means more Blackman SW comics. ;) Though DC has simply been dead to me since canning Secret Six.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    DC has been dead to me since the DCAU ended.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Oh that as well, but Secret Six/Villains United was at least good enough for me to pick up that series, alas they clearly did not want my money.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Speaking of the DCAU, the crazy thing about this story is that after Googling Maggie Sawyer, I actually remember seeing her and her girlfriend in the Superman series when I was like 15 and thinking "huh, that must be her sister or something". In retrospect, that they actually used both characters in 1998 and didn't just ignore it is pretty cool.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You should give Batman: the Brave and the Bold a chance and the Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths movie was not bad either. Also Wonder Woman and All Star Western has been rather god after the reboat

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, I've been watching the animated movies--but it's not the same, man!!

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I like DC's weekly digital comics (I maintain that the format is a great idea), and Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman series is fantastic and everyone should read it. But yeah, aside from that they've really been struggling, and that Batwoman news is repulsive.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Not sure if this fits the diversity thread, but do you find the depiction of the Jedi philosophy as being overly westernized in the post-NJO? They've taken the surface detail of the prequel Jedi, e.g. Jedi temple on Coruscant, Jedi robes, grandmaster Luke, but otherwise detached it from any deeper meaning as to what a Jedi is, which was of course one of the core questions of the NJO. They're just Saturday morning cartoon heroes, defined by their service to the light side in a Christian sense. The same problem was present in the Bantam line with KJA and I, Jedi and so forth, to which the NJO was a response. They're at odds with the Galactic Alliance in FOTJ, for instance, but there's never any exploration between why being a Light Side Warrior or whatever is a preferable alternative to toeing the government line, or why these two things even need to conflict. It's a conflict for the sake of conflict that arises out of an implicitly western Christian paradigm to the story. The light side is God and God's law is more important than man's law. It's made all the worse because they don't even define what "God's law" is or how it came to be, the Jedi dogma is just the scripture that you follow and you don't ask why you follow it.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what of the Brave and the Bold? Also what I have seen of Young Justice that cartoon is rather good

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Give to Caesar what belongs to Cesar

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Meh. I believe people when they say they were decent shows, but I have no interest.

DigitalMessiah - I dunno if it does fit this particular thread, but it's a worthy subject. I'd also point this article out, which gets into the philosophical problems with how the Jedi are handled.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Decent? Batman: the Brave and the Bold was OUTRAGEOUSLY good!

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Was Brave and the Bold the silver age/Adam West influenced show? If so, I intend to check it out some point (but not soon; I just started watching the DCAU!), but I'm not sure how I'll enjoy it. I don't hate fun, but I do definitely tend to prefer the post-crisis interpretations of Batman.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    BTAS and Kevin Conroy are just too deeply ingrained in me to be able to take that kind of tone seriously. I was watching that **** when I was seven.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've only watched the first two volumes of BTAS and played the Arkham games and I already can't imagine anyone but Conroy as the voice of Batman.

Contessa likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'll put it this way: in my mind, Mark Hamill is the Joker first, Luke Skywalker second.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes