main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew K

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 29, 2012.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    There was also something about how matter-of-fact Satele was about her giving up Theron. A lot of women in RL have made the same choice and it's a hard decision with many extenuating factors. However, the way Satele takes it for granted it was for the "good of the Republic" versus the good of herself (which is not a factor to dismiss) annoyed me.

I also note that keeping it a secret while condemning attachment in public makes her a hypocrite.

AusStig likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ugh. I was hoping sooner. Oh well. It'll be here before we know it.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    She sounds pretty non-attached in your first three sentences. It sounds more like Jedi dogma than non-attachment. You can be married and not be attached. The Jedi take it to the extreme and don't let their membership risk it at all.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Still, kill Gravus like that is just stupid.

AusStig likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm really disappointed his apprentice wasn't a Companion and a LI.

AusStig likes this.
  6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    No a faked his death....

So his enemies on the Dark Council would loose interest in him....

So he could do....

um SOMETHING,

something,

Darkside

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Is it just me or is the surest way to kill a Sith to put them on the Dark Council? It's musical chairs there.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    That could have been very heavy dialogue, but it ultimately ended up as very thin.

yeah. i don't have a deep historical knowledge here, but i agree.

9. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Really liked this book. It had a little bit of a rough start, but Gnost-Dural and Theron were hilarious together. And I liked the "Emperor's Clothes" reference at the end.

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah i know i am a weirdo, but i really liked this novel, and did not really get into the other ones in the series

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked it too. I think Drew does better stories when he doesn't focus as much on the Sith.

And this wasn't even really a series. The only thing each of these books have in common is their tie to TOR. Each has a completely unrelated story to each other. And even though Satele shows up in this book, there is zero reference to her role in Fatal Alliance. So you can;t even really compare the books against each other, except maybe this and Revan, because they're both by Drew.

JediMatteus likes this.
  12. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I just have red that book and I liked it very much. The characters were quite interesting and entertaining. There are only some things I did miss:

1. The novel starts with the description of the inner state and the work of the Imperial Minister of Statistics Davidge. I would like to have ended the novel with a "how is he now?"-epilogue too. A detailed analysis what the loss of the Ascendent Spear meant in numbers to the Empire and to himself in his position.

2. What happened to the now vacant seat of Darth Karrid in the Dark Council? Was it given to a Human or a Sith-Sith after her terrible death?

3. What happened really to the Emperor? At the beginning Karpynchyn tells us that the Emperor is in a state of hiding and his whereabouts are pretty unclear. We are not exactly told if this Emperor is still Darth Vitiate, but I'm supposing him to be it. Answering that question would have been the answer to the power-question left open at the beginning of that novel and could close the gap that opened between "Revan" and "Annihilation".

4. Just a closer and more detailed description of the life and the deeds of Moff Nezzor.

5. A more internal picture of the "Brotherhood of the Old Tion". Who was leading it? How came Teff'ith there? How does this organization structured and what is their inner life?

I wish Karpynchyn would close that gap with another novel about Scourge and what happened to him after he became "The Wrath of the Emperor".

13. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    A lot of these–the Emperor and Scourge, in particular–are answered within the game of SWTOR itself. Especially in the Jedi Knight storyline and the new Shadow of Revan expansion.

15. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I don't play video games. Thus I don't know :(

16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You can also watch the storylines on youtube - some people go to more trouble and try and make it movie like.

Revanfan1 and Sudooku like this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_rofl][face_rofl]