main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If introducing someone new to SW. Which trilogy would you have them watch first?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jcuk, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    My kids will be at the perfect age to introduce them to Star Wars right about the time that episodes VIII and IX come out in theaters. although trying to introduce them to Star Wars in the middle of a time when Star Wars is in the theaters every year, (And therefore everywhere,) I would imagine it would be very difficult To keep them away from spoilers regarding the rest of the saga!!

Oh-and I would start them with episode I, going chronologically through ROTJ. or actually, by then it will be Episode I through VII or IX even by then!! sure they may not get the shock of Darth Vader revealing himself to Be Luke's father And all that, but they will be able to enjoy the complete story arc.

3. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2013
    This. Not only because it simply came first, but because ANH gives us the basic framework of the universe, and what is what and who is who. It is in ANH that we are told by Obi-Wan what/who the Jedi are, and what the dark side and the force in general is. It is in ANH that we get the simple version of Darth Vader's history. It is also in ANH that we are introduced to C-3PO, and form a bond with him. I feel that a lot of the meaning behind these various things would be lost by starting out with the PT. Just my own two cents.

4. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The best order to watch the movies for the first time is completely randomized because you'll just end up watching them all a thousand times anyway, am I right?

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    If that person wants a story in chronological order, I would have them start with THE PHANTOM MENACE.

If that person wants to watch the saga another way, then I would recommend another way.

6. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    My daughter is too young to appreciate Star Wars properly (though she does recognise Chewie and Yoda), but I've already decided that I'll be showing her Episode I first and making my way through to Episode VI (well probably VII and VIII by the time I think she'll appreciate them the most).

Yes, we'll lose the impact of Vader revealing that he's Luke's father, but we also start with the most child friendly (in my opinion) and the quality of the films generally improves along the way (IMHO).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    So there's such a thing as appreciating Star Wars *im*properly? I watched SW for the first time when I was 0 years old and I turned out just fine.

8. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    Yeah. I'd rather she was awed by it than it being comparable to anything else she sees. I'd rather not have to turn it off at the 'scary' bits. I'd rather he be able to follow the plot of a movie for two hours than watch it in bits.

9. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Agreed... I hope one day when my niece has a day off from school that we can have a day of watching all the star wars films. I most definitely start with episode one as you aid its the most child friendly. I think watching ROTS as that last film would most certainly leave a very bitter taste.

10. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    I'm just gonna say that this whole "sitting down your kids to watch Star Wars" thing makes very little sense to me. I was exposed to Star Wars from so early on that I was the one sitting myself down to watch it, no supervision necessary. I think I taught myself how to work the VCR by the time I was 4. I even learned to freeze-frame things like barbecued Beru and charred Lars, and Ponda Baba's ketchup stained sleeve - and hey I guess this is exactly the sort of thing you DON'T want your kids to be doing. I guess the experience of being a child of Star Wars fan is different than what my own was, if the movies are treated as hidden texts to be unveiled as a rite of passage, rather than the movies you put on to keep the rascal entertained for a few hours.

You know, that's probably why SW is so burned into my brain.

11. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Oh don't get me wrong what I was trying to get across is my niece is one of those people who like happy endings. hence I thought it would be suitable just to watch 1-6 instead of 4-6 then 1-3

12. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    /\ I hear ya. I suppose every kiddo is a bit different.

I have actually come to think of epsidode 3 as the "star wars fan mitzvah", since its the only episode that is certainly not for the kiddies.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    4-6, 1-3 has C-3PO saying the first and last words of the saga (heck him and R2 start and end the saga in the same hallway, that ship is Tantive IV, don't care what anyone else says), the same first and last planet in Tatooine etc.
    1-6 has Qui-Gon saying the first words and Leia saying the last words, the first planet seen is Naboo and the last planet seen is Endor.

Love the rhyming in the release date order. And there is just something poignant about the Hero's journey starting with Luke staring at the Binary Sunset in ANH and ending ROTS with the Binary Sunset. The journey has come full circle.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  14. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    Depends really. If it's a child, I'll let them watch it in numerol order, so they can laugh at Jar Jar's slapsticks and as they grow older, let them watch the original trilogy.
    If it's a person who prefers style over substance, I'll let them watch it in numeral order.
    If someone who prefers substance over style, I'll let them watch it 4-6, then 1-3.
    Besides that, I don't think either way is going to matter much, I only know that 3 acts as a spoiler for 5 and 5 acts as a spoler for 3.
    I watched it in this order 5,1,2,4,6,3. Very jumbled up.

15. JediWheelz

JediWheelz Jedi Knight

Sep 7, 2013
    I couldn't have said it better myself.=D=

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If I ever have kids I am definitely showing them the Prequels first.

17. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I would show them the Sequel Trilogy first. :p

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If any of you "true" fans were legitimate you wouldn't dare show a new viewer Empire Strikes Back without first offering them a showing of the Christmas Special. How will they know who Boba Fett is...?

19. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Exactly or better yet how would we know where Chewbacca comes from or his family [face_plain]

20. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    1-6. I have no desire to make someone who's "uninitiated" relive my childhood just because I happened to grow up in an era when only 4-6 was made. So I default to the creator's wishes.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The creator's wish was to do it out of chronological order, he's said so himself, he's thinks it's like art or whatever.

Darth Eddie and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

Its a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive movie making. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

So while he wants newer generations to view it I-VI, he knows that not everyone will go that route and regardless, it still works either way. Myself, I would do it I-VI, not because it is what he would prefer, but I want to have at least one person see things that way. To see how they view things and get their feedback that way.

23. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

I did that with my sister (although sadly she missed out on the TPM not becaue it was crap just that I watched it early in the morning and couldn't be asked to watch it again) I planned on watching only two of them a day but after watching AOTC, she really got into it. By the time of the end of ROTS, she really was hooked onto it. By the end of ROTJ, its safe to say she thoroughly enjoyed the I-VI (well II) experience, my only regret is that I didn't start on TPM, but then again I didn't expect to watch all six of them in one go either

24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Hmmm... Either 1,2,3,4,5,6
    OR
    4,1,2,53,6 if they had never heard anything about Star Wars, that way the suspense really builds up

25. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    For me, it definitely would be 4-5-6, 1-2-3. My reasoning for this is that episode 4 is the one that started it all and is a fantastic stand alone film. I find by viewing it directly after the heavy effects of Episode 3, it somehow does not seem as impressive right away. That opening iconic scene of Episode 4 has got to be the start of it all in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.