main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Star Wars #1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I have had a few folks (including some VIP's) ask where our official thread was for this issue. So, without further ado...

Let The Star Wars begin!

Writer: J.W. Rinzler
    Artist: Mike Mayhew
    Colorist: Rain Beredo, Brad Anderson
    Cover Artist: Doug Wheatley, Jan Duursema, or Nick Runge

Before Star Wars, there was The Star Wars! This is the authorized adaptation of George Lucas’s rough-draft screenplay of what would eventually become a motion picture that would change the world.
    Annikin Starkiller is the hero . . . Luke Skywalker is a wizened Jedi general . . . Han Solo is a big green alien . . . and the Sith . . . Well, the Sith are still the bad guys. High adventure and derring-do from longer ago, in a galaxy even further away!
    * Official adaptation of George Lucas’s original screenplay for Star Wars!
    * Features regular, variant, and ultravariant covers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Discussions aways!

-Adm. Nick

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Fascinating. I am already in love with Kane Starkiller. The only thing that was a bit distracting were the many, many character introductions. A slow read is recommended.

The art is superb but I wasn't expecting anything less after the previews.

pronker and Adrian the Cool like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Mmmm pulpy...

4. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Want to have! To me it seems the Star Wars is going to be the best comic series released this year. The next time I'll have the chance I will buy it at the comic book store.
    Isn't that exactly what "Star Wars" is at all?

5. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    Cooool!

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  6. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Bait-and-Switch: Gender Flip Edition, The Issue

We foresaw that our covers, in taking artistic liberties, might draw you in. It's a trap We have foreseen a great many things.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It was a positive comment. But I think one of the distinctions between the rough draft and the final film is that it is notably less pulpy in the Lesnman/Flash Gordon sense.

8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Not bad, characters are established quickly, I really liked the scene where the three bad guys are discussing Skywalker. I Feel the Fat guy should come into the EU.

9. Backbench Jedi

Backbench Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2013
    Isn't he already part of the EU ?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, this is out? To buy or not to buy....

Q -- aside from curiosity over what it actually is, is it interesting enough to be worth picking up? I know it's a terribly difficult question for a first issue, but...

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Really feels like an old Flash Gordon story or something like that. A lot of the first issue is exposition backstory (New Galactic Empire, Jedi Rebellion, etc.). As a fan, its just more fun picking up all the familiar names used in unfamiliar ways.

Ok first issue overall, though the art is quite nice, and I'll buy the entire series at least, but still hard to tell how long the novelty will last. At least the ship designs were pretty decent. Although apparently in the original version all lightsabers were red, never heard that before (but then I was never that interested in the original draft).

12. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    There's enough potential here for significant divergence following a conclusion to the proto-IV story arc. Consider, for instance, how the lack of familial relations between Annikin and Vader has an impact on the equivalent TESB and RotJ scenes with Luke and Vader.

Really depends on:

1. How far are they willing to go. Will this comic simply end with the conclusion of the proto-IV story arc?
    2. How different they're willing to make it. They've already chickened out of a female Annikin, unless there's a gender reveal planned for further down the line.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's only going to be 8 issues for the time being. They are apparently adding dialogue that wasn't in the rough draft. There's an interview on CNN about it.

CNN: Is there a possibility that this alternate version of "Star Wars" could live on beyond these eight issues, at least in the fans' minds?

Rinzler: Fans have been asking already about this, because so many things are hinted at particularly in the first issue, about the past, or characters in the periphery, or just spoken of and not seen. They'd love to see those mysteries explained, but we have a little movie called "Episode VII" coming up and that will take precedence.

Bib Fartuna and Count Yubnub like this.
  14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm not gonna do it. Han is a big green alien.

*sniff*

15. PsychoGobstopper

PsychoGobstopper Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2013
    While it's been a long time since I looked at any of the early script drafts, I'm confused by this statement. I thought in the first rough draft, Annikin was male. Since this miniseries is adapting that specific draft, how exactly are the writers "chickening out" of anything?

I was also under the impression that - McQuarrie concept paintings aside - the idea of the main protagonist being female never made it into a script draft, though I'm not closely familiar with any of the early drafts.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  16. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Damn. That art took me right back to the first time I saw A New Hope. What a perfect fit. I wasnt expecting to get this but with DC'S cash grab Villains Month Im hardly getting any of my regular comics so I thought I would get this and man am I glad I did. What a great read.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I read this last night (very tempted to get one of the variant covers though). The art is really excellent. There's a lot of ground being covered in this issue and the artist has done a fantastic job of making the characters very expressive and there are some nice background touches (Annikin's silent interest in the background redhead, for example).

Storywise I'm still settling into the readjusted world (and when you have familiar names popping in under new circumstances it can take a moment to get undistracted) and it is very exposition heavy, but it starts becoming more focused about halfway through.

Judging by just this issue, though, you can see where the prequels came from. Very politics and trade route-heavy plot elements. The discarded/unused content from here was undoubtedly the DNA of the PT (or, rather, the portions that filled in the established content).

pronker and Bib Fartuna like this.
  18. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I liked it. Mayhew's art was great, has he done anything else in comics (Star Wars or not) that's as good as this art is? Also was cool plot, nice surprise twist at the end with Starkiller, and from this first issue I'm hoping that we get a prequel/sequel series one day.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Deak yells "yippee!".

I mean it.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There are consequences.

21. Darth_Erebus

Darth_Erebus Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2013
    I picked it up to day, at £2.99 I could hardly say no, and I.....didn't mind it. It's certainly different but I can see how it evolved into the film we all know.

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    So it's out? I can't wait to check it out.

23. Darth_Erebus

Darth_Erebus Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2013
    Well it was in my local comic book/graphic novel shop and there was only one left so I think it must have been out a while or so.....either that or they only got a small amount in.

24. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Gotcha. I'll have to check it out. Haven't been to my comicbook shop in a while (these days I usually go digital).

Darth_Erebus likes this.
  25. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    I enjoyed it. Starkiller's emotional journey through the issue really held it together. I liked seeing the little bits that have crept into SW in different ways.

I hope that the overall story stays as satisfying as #1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.