main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Sio Bibble an idiot? Jar Jar Binks 2.0, anyone?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Komodo9Joe, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    Sio Babble would have been a more appropriate name because all this guy does is babble like a fool. Back when the TF was blockading their planet, this guy is playing Captain Obvious:

"A communication disruption can only mean one thing: invasion."

You don't say?:rolleyes:
    He doesn't even seem to take a hint when nobody is giving their time of the day to his obvious conclusions.

Then we have this guy ratting out the the Queen on Tattooine by sending a message to them which allows Maul to "establish a trace." Shouldn't the governor of a state know better than to send out messages when communications are probably being watched? How the heck was this dullard elected as governor anyway?

Even in AOTC, he can't help but make a fool of himself in the one scene he's in: when Padme and Anakin visit Naboo. Apparently, he has so little trust in his capabilities(something that he's shown having little of) that he's deferring to a nineteen year old Jedi Padawan:
    "What is your suggestion, Master Jedi?"

Firstly, this guy apparently has a poor memory because it's the same Jedi who was a little kid ten years back so how the heck could he be a Jedi Master already? Does this guy think becoming a Jedi Master is a timeless process? Secondly, why is a 50-ish year old governor deferring to some teenage Jedi on statesmanship? At this point, we must ask ourselves: is this guy really just asking for input or is he just being obsequious and trying to get some sensible ideas to which he can pass off as his own to show a tiny degree of competency on his part?

As if he hasn't already shown that he was shortchanged in the brains department, he also states
    "I fear the Senate is powerless to resolve his crisis."

Did he not already learn this lesson 10 years ago with the TF? So he apparently doesn't learn from his mistakes either... [face_plain].

Forget Jar Jar, this guy's scenes make him look far more brainless than the hapless Gungan. If this is the governor of Naboo, you can't help but not see how easy Palpatine could play this planet.

So what do you guys think? Was Sio Bibble an incompetent moron who somehow got the position of governor or was he actually a very shrewd, progressive, intelligent, calculative, and insightful governor who simply played dumb to not frighten others with his excellence?

All opinions welcome and please discuss :D.

2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Can't blame him for the Anakin mistake. I don't even think Sio Bibble really met Anakin personally during the Naboo crisis. Though if the Jedi Council assigned a Jedi to protect her, you'd probably assume that they were well aware of the threat they were dealing with.

But I will admit that he made a mistake in sending out a transmission to the Queen's ship. But as he explains, the situation was dire, and there was really nothing else he could do. With death and destruction all around him, I think his lapse in judgement can be forgiven.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I thought that message was faked?

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    It was. Treachery is the way of the Sith, Darth Maul spliced that msg together and Obi Wan sensed the deception, "Its a trick. Send no reply. Send no transmissions of any kind."

5. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    What? Are you saying that Darth Maul sent the message? That doesn't make sense.

6. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Never knew about the EU explanation behind it before. But that raises the question; how is the audience supposed to assume Darth Maul made the message (if that was the original intention)?

At the same time, he could have been forced to by the Trade Federation, which would be a bit easier to guess than the complete hologram being a fraud (the ability to do that was never revealed in the movies.)

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Huh, I always thought that the TF forced Bibble to make the transmission so they could track the signal and find the Queen.

8. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    It's a possibility, but it doesn't explain Sio Bibble's countless failings :p. Btw, I don't think any source has explained Darth Maul's method of finding a trace so unless SithStarSlayer can provide a source, Darth Maul 'splicing' the message is complete bogus.
    Back to the topic though Dinos4Ever, don't you think Sio Bibble is a remarkably incompetent fool? [face_laugh]

9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The guy was a fool no doubt. I never noticed all those little things about him, this is hilarious.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Of course, sources... I have been remiss... lets see was it TPM's Novel, the Darth Maul journal or in Darth Plagueis? Perhaps it was in all three of them? Its early and I haven't had my espresso yet, but I do agree that the movie was vague about the msg sender, even after Lucas tried to make it somewhat clearer with Kenobi's trick comment. I have it sourced on my wrk pc, I will check when I get in.

EDIT:
    Proof that Sio Bibble could not have sent that msg was provided by Captain Panaka:
    "They've knocked out all our communications."

Order66Survivor likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It looked like any one of those hostage movies to me. By his expression you can imagine a terrorist off to the side with a gun pointed at his head. And then Kenobi's confirmation.

12. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I checked on Wookiepedia, and they source Darth Plagueis (though it could also potentially be from the Darth Maul journal). I do not recall it being in the TPM novelization, though. This really seems like an EU afterthought to me.

13. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    I know, right?[face_laugh] Glad you like it. :)

14. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    Btw, I checked the phantom menace novelization and it offers nothing more on the Sio Bibble transmission than what was in the movie. The same with the Darth Plagueis novel: it's an unexplained event. We must assume that Sio Bibble is fully responsible for the message as we clearly saw he sent it in the movie and we have no other information. Rememer though, what the topic is about (read the OP):
    Was Sio Bibble an utter brainless fool throughout the movies and a mystery as to how we was elected governor or was he actually an intelligent, capable, and forward-thinking governor whose actions, while seemingly counterproductive and/or obsolete, were that of a responsible governor? :D

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He was a politician. So there's your answer ;)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Welcome to 1999. This has been laughed at since then.

Who's Captain Obvious, now? This whole thread is Captain Obvious.

It's almost as Captain Obvious as making a thread to point out that Captain Obvious Ric Olie is Captain Obvious.

Yeah, the message was either a complete fake, as in doctored visual effects, or Bibble was coerced into making it.

This is so obvious I feel like Captain Obvious for pointing it out. I mean, it's not hard to make a short message like that.

0 for 2

Yeah, Master Jedi and Jedi Master are not the same thing. The former is a respectful way of addressing a Jedi (even a Knight), the latter is a rank of the Jedi Order.

Anakin is still a Padawan, but you can't fault Sio for being polite.

According to some sources, Obi-Wan wasn't promoted to Jedi Master until after AOTC, yet Padme and Taun We refer to Obi-Wan as "Master Jedi".

I'm not sure why asking for advice signifies "so little trust in his capabilities", there's nothing wrong with asking for advice. Bibble is a politician and the subject had changed to protecting Padme, something which may not have anything to do with Bibble's job. Bibble is not a bodyguard, security guard, or head of security. Asking a Jedi, noted warriors and peacekeepers, advice on how to protect someone isn't something I'd criticize Bibble or anyone else for.

0 for 3 on making good points.

Yeah, it's been ten years since he's seen Anakin. Anakin has changed so much even Padme hardly recognized him. I don't think Anakin had even spoken at that point, or had even been introduced.

Again, Jedi Master and Master Jedi are not the same thing.

Again, they weren't talking about "statesmanship", Queen Jamillia changed the subject to protecting Padme before Sio asked Anakin for advice.

0 for 4

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. Are you saying that he's just fawning over the presence of a Jedi like a teenage girl fawning over Justin Bieber, yet taking Anakin seriously and trying to steal sensible ideas from him at the same time?

And why would asking for input and trying to get sensible ideas be exclusive? Why assume that he would try to pass off the ideas as his own? Is there anything at all that even hints at that? It seems especially unlikely considering he asked Anakin in a room full of witnesses. Secondly, getting sound advice and then following it is competency, you don't necessarily have to come up with ideas of your own.

0 for 5

Yeah, he's stating the obvious again, I'll give you that. But we all do it quite often.

Plus I can't remember because I haven't seen that scene in a while, but I think part of his dialogue from the script got cut down. In the script he's more incredulous than anything. It's not that he doesn't know the facts, it's just he finds it so outrageous, which it is.

It seems like you're just having a laugh with this thread, which would be fine except you don't make many good points, and your general point is a very old one that has used up most of its humor.

I give this thread zero laughs out of five.

17. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Well, I give your post 5/5 in humoring me; your response just made my morning. I'm not going to bother going over your points because I wanted someone to take your stance against me. Now people can see both arguments and choose which side they believe in.

Btw(and this is directed to viewers of this thread), although my tone is jocose when writing this thread, I do make many strong points about the character of Sio Bibble being a foolish one. Some of the refutations this person has are reasonable but others are very weak. I'm curious as to whether people will defend Sio Bibble or see him as a rather dimwitted and unintelligent fool well-spotted.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think if we're looking for the idiocy in TPM, we should start with the scriptwriters. Even if Sio Bibble is really smart, no one can look good when he's hamstrung by awful dialog.

19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I always thought the "communication disruption" thing was stupid. I mean, clearly there are ways for communications to fail that don't always equal planetary invasion from outside forces.

As for him and Anakin? Two points:

#1- He never really met Anakin, was never introduced to him. IIRC, he likely never saw Anakin ever, and even if he did, he's got things to do, things that don't include talking to some boy that the Jedi are letting stay around. As far as he knows, or cares, the boy is just some random Naboo orphan the Jedi rescued from the droids, and the boy is their responsibility. If he ever gave a single thought to it, it was probably something like, "I hope those Jedi find a new place for that child..." and that was it. But chances are, he didn't care, because, again, he's got bigger things to worry about. Ten years later, when he meets this young Jedi, he has absolutely no reason to believe that this Jedi and that boy he probably doesn't even remember are, in fact, the same person. It's not him being senile, it's him being realistic.

#2- He's trying to be respectful to Anakin when he calls him "Master Jedi", and remember, he's a politician, so he likely doesn't have inside knowledge of Jedi ranking system. He sees a dude in Jedi robes, got the braid for some reason, and a lightsaber. Ergo, he's a Jedi.

#3- As for the Senate thing...he probably lost faith in it. ;)

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't Sio Bibble introduced before Jar Jar in the movie? So shouldn't the title be the other way around?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Didn't everyone who was not a Jedi refer to any Jedi/Padawan as "master"? Even the younglings refer to Kenobi as "Master Kenobi" in AOTC, when he was just a Knight. And Anakin gets called "Master Skywalker" several times even though he NEVER becomes a Master.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Its mentioned in the short story, "Endgame" as Maul watches the Cruiser depart, he wonders if he'll be able to find them again. On page 100 of TPM Qui Gon tells Kenobi that he is possitive the message was bait to establish a connection trace. BTW, I love all the talk of captain obvious, Sio opens things up by telling us that Naboo's communications have been taken down, Sidious brags about Maul finding the lost ship, the castaways get a creepy msg from a place that can't send one, the Jedi talk about trick/traces & then Maul talks to Sidious about the trace being correct... before he locates his prey on Tatooine.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The word "master" in Star Wars is pretty much used like it is in Tolkien's work, that is, as an antiquated form of "mister." Cf. "Master Dwarf," "Master Gamgee," etc.

24. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Bibbie (my nickname for Sio Bibble) looks like Colonel Sanders. He, Ric Olie (the entire planet is one big city!), and Jar Jar are the three stooges of TPM.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I remember this thread! I haven't read it in a decade, but this used to be funny stuff. Can't wait for that vintage "Everything Panaka says is pessimistic" thread to reemerge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.