main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

The Total War fan community has always been incredibly whiny. Remember how Empire was received? Remember how people seriously claimed that CA adding in Pontus was a dealbreaker? And when Rome II was announced, I remember people on r/totalwar screaming bloody murder over how CA should have made a TW version of Victoria II.

In any case, Rome II is great. Like I said, I do have some complaints, but mods and patches will address those.

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Re: Disney songs. My favorite villain song is "Mine" from Pocahontas. Also, never really cared for the Little Mermaid, but I think that the intro "Fathoms Below" is great.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The one Disney song I really like the best is-
    [​IMG]

4. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    You brought this on yourself.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    pft. I once worked a twelve-hour shift in front of Small World -- I'm immune to it. In fact, I know the words by heart and can use them to devastating effect against my enemies.

I guess it's a bit like Mithridates and poison :p

jSarek and Ulicus like this.
  6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That song needs to burn in the darkest depths of Hell

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ugh, looks like our new PM will be xenophobic, misogynist, homophobe, Tony Abbott. Cutting foreign aid by $4.5 billion (despite promising to increase it to 0.5% of the GNI) is the hallmark of an utter scumbag. And he'll be a great internationalist, I'm sure, with his zero experience and history of basically answering any question about global affairs with, "We will do what Washington does". It was also disturbing to see legitimate asylum seekers used as political footballs, with a scare campaign perpetuated for the entire race about "those queue jumping boat people!!1!11!!!!".

From the Guardian:
    "***k Tony Abbott. ***k that ***t," said one woman, as she passed media waiting for him to vote.
    Another woman held up a sign saying: "TONY ABBOTT, SEXIST, RACIST, BIGOT."

8. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    What's the alternative, EAR-WAX-EATER?!? ;)

9. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    And even if I didn't vote for Rudd, he's better than Abbott. Ear-wax eating narcissist > backward, slave of Rupert Murdoch.
    Some of my favourite Abbott quotes:
    "Climate change is absolute crap"
    "I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons"

And one when he posed for a photo with teenager netballers just recently:
    "… [a] bit of body contact never hurt anyone"

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    What do you think the mood music in Hell is?

Barriss_Coffee and HWK-290 like this.
  11. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Ummm... NO! In fact around 90% of Australians, give or take, have said NO! to the Greens. They can only claim around 8-11% of the primary vote... if that.

Then again, at least Christine Milne doesn't eat her ear-wax...

12. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Lemme guess, you want to "stop the boats", don't support gay marriage, and value the economy over the environment? :p
    I will never vote for someone who discontinues free legal aid to refugees, nope.

13. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Why should tax-paying citizens, fund non-citizens who are queue jumping economic "refugees"?

A classic example is the Tamils. They started a civil war in Sri-Lanka. They lost. Ever hear of TAMIL-Nadu? State of India, same language, same culture, same race. Yet they want to risk a journey by boat to Australia for refugee economic reasons. And rightfully rejected.

Look at how your political "side" is easily fooled:

Age learns truth about its sweet boat person

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...age_learns_truth_about_its_sweet_boat_person/
    Terrorist, who claims "asylum"... :mad: [face_rofl] [face_shame_on_you]

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    And... what?

I'm bobbing along quite happily.

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

(I think my neighbours may be less than thrilled, though....)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I can see it. It's pretty much the most obnoxious thing in the history of ever.

Incidentally, this is how I forever hear It's a Small World.

AND IT GOES ON FOREVER

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    You did not just link me to Andrew Bolt's filth, did you?
    And yes, every refugee is doing it for economic reasons. :rolleyes:

17. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Hehehe!

Shoot the messenger, but not read the message!

Probably 2% of that article is actually written by Bolt. The rest is quoting the Leftist Fairfax Age, and the subsequent ASIO assessment.

18. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Oh, I read the article. Of course The Age makes mistakes, as does the Herald Sun. Doesn't mean I read either of them. And it doesn't mean that all asylum seekers are illegitimate economic refugees.

19. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Okay, how many "refugees" come from citizens of countries that actually border Australia, ie: Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, etc.

Refugees / asylum seekers, by definition, should stop at the first country where they can achieve safety. How many countries have Iranians come through to Australia, for example? Perhaps the reason they come here, is that Indonesia, etc. don't have a Centrelink office? You know, being a Muslim country, you would think that they would feel safe there, however, I assume the lure of the $$$ overrides?

Just make sure we help those most in need.

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2013/07/just-make-sure-we-help-those-most-in-need.html

More:

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2013/07/more-of-shazzas-postcard-from-christmas-island.html

http://justgroundsonline.com/forum/topics/are-they-real-refugees

Perhaps Australia should look after our own FIRST Australians, ie: Indigenous Australians, and homeless first, rather than satisfying the likes of Julian Burnside?

20. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    You could easily look after Indigenous and homeless Australians whilst accepting refugees and giving 0.5% of the GNI as foreign aid. One doesn't have to come at the cost of the either, despite what LNP or ALP will say. Cut defence spending, for instance or retain the Mining Tax. But whatever, we're not going to see eye-to-eye - that's for sure. Before all other Litizens hate us more, let's end our tangent.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  21. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Agree to agree! How's Luke Skywalker!? ;)

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm finding this conversation interesting, albeit sad to see that Australia has similar political conflicts that the US has.

But how is Luke? I couldn't tell you, I haven't seen him in awhile, I just finished reading about Jaina and Jag drooling in each other's mere presence on Hapes in Dark Journey.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I hear he's a chair in need of saving.

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I know right.

Personally, the more I learn about the politics of other countries, the more it becomes apparent that American politics are comparatively civil and moderate.

Oh, he's around. Even when he isn't.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The interesting thing is that the economy and the environment are often placed on opposite ends, when rational people ought to realize that energy sustainability and other "environmental" initiatives are part and parcel of long-term economic survival. Trying to make a quick buck and ignoring the long-term used to be considered very *bad* economic thinking.

It's very, very entertaining. And like Merc said, it makes our squabbles look much better in comparison. Who'd have thought that was possible? Our politicians wouldn't be caught dead making those quotes -- at least not the nationally prominent ones. We have plenty of insane congressmen and state-level politicians.

JackG and anakinfansince1983 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.