main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Was Palpatine So Happy to Hear Anakin Wants to Kill Him?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Darth Sidious is a masochist.

2. Darth Gartin

Darth Gartin Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2013

If Anakin did kill the Sith Lord the Jedi council would have known. They would have felt it in the force and it would have been brought back into balance.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As much as I don't buy the "balance of the Force" stuff--maybe. But the Senate wouldn't have cared. A prominent Jedi hero assassinated the Chancellor, period. I'd be shocked if the Jedi weren't outlawed at that point.

4. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Because that let him know Anakin was ready to become a sith.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Pretty much this :p

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  6. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    Plus, Palpatine was never in any danger. Had Anakin tried, he would've been tooled in less than 5 seconds.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Indeed.

SIDIOUS: "Good. I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon! Strike me down with it and your journey towards the dark side will be complete."

SIDIOUS: "Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy."

That is what takes a Jedi down the dark path.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The desire to kill your master is a Sith trait.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Anakin would have kicked his butt :p

10. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Exactly this.

Plus anger and hate are like an addictive drug to a dark lord. You can see the pleasure on Palpatine's face as he says, "I know you would....I can feeeeeeel your anger! It gives you focus! Makes you stronger!" He's basically high as a kite.

11. Darth Gartin

Darth Gartin Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2013
    Sidious tried to get Darth Maul to kill him also. It was only after Maul tried that Sidious told him that he was finally ready to become a true Sith Lord.

12. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    Sidious is happy to hear that Anakin wants to kill him because it's a step forward into the Dark Side. He has invoked within Anakin a desire to kill, a willingness to act without compunction, a self-righteousness in taking another's life, and a conflict within Anakin's mind as to his own feelings and the Jedi orthodox. Remember, Sidious is pure evil; he is overjoyed that Anakin is removing himself from Jedi self-restraint and from the desire to kill only in self-defense.

Anakin's desire to kill also gives Anakin power fueled through the Dark Side which is yet another way the Dark Side lures you; the Dark Side offers you intoxicating power and ultimately the person would much rather pursue more power than give up power to the benefit of others. Fear then combines with selfishness as one begins to fear losing his/her power (remember Sidious' line on fear of losing power). A person with these destructive emotions can only then lead to the suffering of others (remember Yoda's line on fear and suffering).

I'm not sure why others say you are trolling; it's reasonable that you might have taken it literally (Sidious certainly sounds happy) and then be confused as to how would Anakin desiring to kill Sidious be productive to Sidious. The real reasons on why Sidious is happy are the ones listed in my first paragraph and we do see at the end that they work in turning Anakin to the Dark Side ;).

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Palpatine was happy because he wanted to pwn Anakin's whiny butt.

14. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    Ankin got beaten by obi-one, how is he going to win against yoda?

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Anakin made a mistake, that's why he lost, if he didn't make the mistake and wasn't being arrogant, he would have killed Obi-Wan, and beating Yoda is simple, tap into the Dark Side and be aggressive as much as you can

16. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    Sidious couldn't do that, how is Anakin supposed to?

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sidious did beat Yoda, as it was the Grand Master who ran and not the Dark Lord. Yoda even said that he failed to win, because he wasn't strong enough. The fight only ends as it does because of TESB and ROTJ.

Vialco likes this.
  18. MasterJedi92

MasterJedi92 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2013

Very true .

19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Thrashing around like a mindless animal? The Dark Side may make you stronger, but if you don't use it, if you don't focus it, then what use is it? The reason Palpy won is because he was focused the entire time. Anakin relied on too much emotion and anger. Yoda would've sensed it and used it to his advantage.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  20. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Anger was a path to the dark side, as a wise Jedi master once said. Palpatine knowing that Anakin has this fuel to kill him just shows that he is already taking the first step into becoming a Sith.

"Fear is a path to the dark side; fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Because he feared to lose Padme, he was willing to do anything to save her. His fear led him to follow the man who had the "answer" for him. Angry that the Jedi were "the bad guys", he turned to the dark side from manipulation. Following Palps then led for him to hate the Jedi, and then his best friend. After losing his wife and then losing his limbs, he lived the rest of his life in suffering; knowing that his turning to the dark side made him lose his wife, the one person he was trying to save.

21. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Anakin wouldn't have stood a chance against Palpatine in a duel.

22. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin would lose to Palpatine, of course, but I can't see him destroying Anakin in a straight duel.

23. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Why would Palpatine be glad to hear Anakin was willing/wanting to kill him? Easy. What good is a Sith apprentice that is unwilling to challenge the Master? Without that conflict, there can be no growth. Not in their eyes, anyway.

24. Jedi_Jack_17

Jedi_Jack_17 Jedi Knight

Oct 28, 2013
    Hey my first post ever anyways
    Palpatine knew the moment anakin wanted to kill him was when he finally knew anakin was letting the anger take over he wanted anakin to be angry and full of hate and then of course if that failed he knew he could play the "i can save your wife from certain death" card which he did as well and it worked because anakin skywalker died and became darth vader from a certain point of veiw

25. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    That's exaclty why Palps was not in any real danger from Anakin.... since Anakin possessed unfocused raw power, Palps knew that he could defeat him even defenseless as he stood.... In a sense, Palps would not want to teach Anakin everything because with his power AND focus, Anakin would've defeated Palps....