main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Agreed. You know, the one creature I really want to see as a Sith would have to be a Predator, or the Star Wars equivalent, a Taung. I mean, that sense of "honor" and complete love of mass murder would make great Sith traits.

Oh yeah, I hear what you say about Mogo. Sentient Planet[face_shame_on_you] At least Ranx, the sentient city, had the excuse of actually being an AI....I'm a turbo-nerd.

TaradosGon likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That's one ugly looking creature

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Looks if this guy was a Jedi:

[​IMG]

Seerow likes this.
  4. TOPGUNxICEMAN

TOPGUNxICEMAN Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2013
    how do you post picture

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It's actually very easy to post a picture. Just click the button with the picture of a tree on the toolbar and paste the direct link to the picture, or you can simply use the BB code; for example, [ IMG]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111028034550/starwars/images/9/9c/AnakinfightingQuarren.jpg [ /IMG], but with no spaces between the brackets and the words "IMG" and "/IMG". You can look at the Communications forum for help on these kinds of technical issues.

I'll provide an example from the TCW Image Caption thread; I adapted this from ImNotAStarWarsFanboy's post:
    [​IMG]

Quarren: What could you hate enough...to destroy me?
    Anakin: Tikkes.
    (Stabs quarren through himself)

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Here is a list of BBcodes. http://boards.theforce.net/help/bb-codes

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Right click the pic you want, press copy, then paste it here

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So I was just skipping through channels on television now with my parents, trying to avoid election coverage, when I came across The Lawless playing.

Dad: Didn't he [Maul] get cut in half and fall down a hole?
    Me: [face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain]

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

Something similar happened to me when I was watching the show back during Season 2, I think.

My dad walks by during a space scene.

Dad: Which one (film) is this?
    Me: It's a TV show
    *scene changes to Ahsoka*
    Dad: Oh, it's a cartoon. I thought you were watching one of the movies ... Who's that (Ahsoka)?
    Me: Anakin's apprentice
    Dad: Oh... wait... he never had an apprentice
    *Dad walks away*

eht13 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My Dad introduced me to the OT at the time it was released. He tried to watch the prequels and got through about half of TPM before asking why all the bad guys had Asian accents. I think his only reaction to AOTC was "what did I just watch?"

I remember having a conversation with my brother in 2003 or so about bad fan fiction written by tween girls with crushes on Hayden Christensen. Padme: "Oh no! There's a stormtrooper!" Anakin, stopping the blaster bolt with a bare hand: "Not anymore, my love." My brother's comment was "That really isn't any worse than the dialogue in the movie."

I'm not sure anyone in my family knows that TCW exists. :p

podjazd and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_rofl]

[face_rofl]

That's funny. My dad showed us Star Wars in the early 90's before they started coming out with new merchandise again. He took us to see Ep. I in the theaters when it came out, and that just wasn't happening for him. I was 10 so I was all about it. I think he's never seen Ep. II and he saw Ep. III once when it came out in theaters. I've shown my siblings some TCW and they like it a lot better than the PT. I've shown my parents some but they don't really get that Anakin is Luke's dad (Darth Vader) as a young Jedi Knight unless you keep reminding them so they don't appreciate it as much. They really make me afraid to get old sometimes, though I know my dad sometimes acts senile just to troll.

12. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Heh... my dad was on board for the PT right alongside me when I was a kid, because he took it for what it was and could read between the lines to get the value in the story. It wasn't until I had older hipster friends that I started prequel-bashing. As a happily married, settled-down adult who was perfectly secure with myself, I saw that I had missed the point, so that came to a stop and I embraced it all for what it was.

With TCW, not that it comes up much, but my dad doesn't seem surprised that they brought a character back or whatever, because, again... it's all about taking it for what it is. It seems strange enough to me that grown fans are bothered by that stuff, much less grown parents of fans. When does the "Who cares?" impulse kick in? Never?

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    When does the condescension stop? Never?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can think of several times when my "I don't care" impulse kicked in regarding Star Wars and this show.

Interestingly enough, the response when I said as much was that I was wrong not to care and should be outraged.

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  15. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Hey, you'll get no argument from me, but as far as there's any virtue in condescension, condescension in response to negativity > condescension in response to positivity.

About creative choices? Or about corporate decisions surrounding it? Because in the former, I'm personally glad when something doesn't bother me, and I think it'd be pretty absurd to try to convince others of something that would decrease their enjoyment of a thing... but in the case of the latter, I think fan reaction is better for fandom as a whole. That is to say, where creative opinions might differ, nobody (except maybe Garrett Atkins) actively wants a lower-quality release for TCW, for instance...

It's an interesting thing though, whether this is what you were getting at or not: Lots of people throw fits and say "Filoni hates us"/"Lucas doesn't listen to the fans" about creative choices, which I'd consider to be the artist's purview... but some people just sit back and let the steamroller do its thing with their show, on a corporate level.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It just seems that the "Who cares?" mode you were asking people to adopt earlier, should definitely be put in place regarding how other people watch movies and whether they dislike something you like.

I'm not even going to dignify the idea that it's OK to be condescending to people who dislike something you like, with a response.

Lots of people throw fits and say "Filoni hates us"/"Lucas doesn't listen to the fans" about creative choices, which I'd consider to be the artist's purview... but some people just sit back and let the steamroller do its thing with their show, on a corporate level.

Filoni could give me the finger in public and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and as far as the show or future shows--if the writers do something I like with it, I'll watch, if not, I won't.

Who cares on both counts.

17. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

That's an awfully easy to accusation to make, isn't it? But no, in fact, I don't bitch endlessly about stuff in movies and TV shows. I don't do it myself, and I find it infinitely unattractive in others. Take issue with my stance all you want, but don't accuse me of hypocrisy.

The closest I've ever come was an argument over the issue of Ventress making Savage kill Feral, and the only reason that argument lasted was that a few other posters thought I was actually morally opposed, when in fact I was critiquing that it seemed out of place in view of her future turn toward the neutral, as well as being a flawed feminist message (being an expression of cliched sadistic dominance instead of legitimate strength). But hell, even then, at least I explained it instead of saying "Because Dave Filoni is an idiot!"

I'm condescending toward the entire spirit of entitled, exaggerated, never-ending complaints about movies and TV... not a simple, respectful expression of a different opinion. The entire internet could stand to learn that there's a big difference between those two things. So when I say "bitching about stuff," realize that my word choice is deliberate; there's a difference between that and expressing a well-formed opinion.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Condescension is OK under circumstances in which I deem it to be OK."

Got it. Moving along.

Where were we again? Oh yeah, back to Tarkas' post.

Dark Lord Tarkas , I remember sitting next to my Dad in ESB when the "I am your father" scene appeared. I said, "He's lying, isn't he?" And he said, "I don't know."

So he definitely got that important plot point, but I don't think he remembers Luke's mother's name, and I know his reaction to Ahsoka would be "Who?" in spite of having grandsons who are Star Wars fans.

But I don't think my brother has let his kids watch the prequels, so there's that.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Yep, go ahead and skip right over my perfectly coherent rebuttal of your initial accusation. And yes, condescension is a perfectly valid response to *****y behavior.

But thank you; for you to criticize my character is an honor in ways you'll never fully understand.

Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    People on the internet sometimes take opinions they don't agree with as condescending. I hope no one's bothered that my dad didn't like the PT as much as me. [face_dunno]

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Sorry for the double-post guys, I haven't been able to edit lately for some reason.

anakinfansince1983 it honestly seems surreal to me that you have a memory like that. I don't remember ever not knowing that Darth Vader is Luke's dad, ever. My dad just showed us the movies since we were so little, I have no memory of learning that for the first time. I've said before that if I ever get amnesia the first thing I need to do is watch the OT. Still need to leave myself that note. I'd really like to have that experience. That's probably why the pre-ESB era holds so much mysticism for me in Star Wars lore, since nothing takes that into account, it's a really cool snapshot in time. I think only my sister knows Ahsoka by name. Maybe my brother, but definitely not my parents. Like I said, they have a hard time remembering Anakin Skywalker = young Darth Vader in the show. They both of course know Darth Vader is Luke's father in the OT, but their old brains apparently had a hard time making the connection the few times I showed them TCW. :p

22. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Talking about parents loving or not the prelogy.
    First, my grandfather only saw The Phantom Menace, he liked it.
    My parents saw the 7 movies ( prelogy, trilogy, The Clone Wars ) and love them. My mother prefer the trilogy. My mother also saw the season 1,2,3 and a part of season 4 of The Clone Wars, she likes the show. And when the complete season 1-5 will be released, I will show her the rest of season 4 and season 5.
    One of my 4 uncles saw the prelogy and the trilogy and loved them.
    I showed to one of my 7 cousins, the trilogy a long time ago and he loved it. When AOTC came out, we saw it together and I think it was the same for TPM but not for ROTS, I saw ROTS with friends and my uncle who saw the movies.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    My dad finding out that Maul is alive and it being a funny anecdote is causing so much grief, why? [face_tee_hee]
    I think I need to get back into the real world.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Are you kidding? It was an awesome anecdote and we need more like it.

Dark Lord Tarkas , that memory is one advantage to being old. :p On the other hand, I'm not sure what it would be like to be able to pop in ROTJ right away and find out that Vader is telling the truth. I had to wait three years.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The OT was complete by the time I was born, so when I watched the movies I was able to cram them into a short period by watching them on VHS. The period in which I would have not known that Vader was Luke's father would have been so, so brief that I have no memory of it.

I remember talking with friends that loved Star Wars too and just coming up with speculation/fanon as to how Darth Vader was injured and what the history of the Jedi would have been like. I recall that those were the most fun to speculate about.

The word Sith didn't exist for me until I started playing Decipher's Star Wars CCG, and with the little biographical blurb on Vader's card mentioning that he was a Lord of the Sith, which meant nothing to me. I always just considered him a "Dark Jedi" because that's how he's described in the films -- a Jedi that was seduced by the Dark side.

Palpatine is one of my favorite characters now, but in retrospect I'm actually disappointed that I didn't really like him so much when I was a kid, and I can't remember what I speculated his story to be. I don't know if I thought he was a "Dark Jedi" too or if he was just something else. Again, "Sith" would have meant nothing to me at the time.

Words like "EU" and "canon" also would not have been in my vocabulary, and I would have just taken it for granted that games, novels, etc. were all just part of the same cohesive story. C-3POs CCG card makes mention of him being 100 years old, I took that for granted as well as any other info on any of the cards as being true. Just as I took Shadows of the Empire to be fact within the SW universe. I don't think my world was rocked in that regard until watching AOTC and seeing that the rainbow of lightsaber colors was reduced to four -- which for some reason was a big deal to me when I was younger. And around that time was when I started posting on the JC forums, had more exposure to the EU, and saw how many people were irritated that it was being contradicted - like with Boba's history.

I recall loving TPM when I saw it in theaters but then watching it on VHS for my second viewing and pretty quickly questioning how I ever loved it and just feeling bored.

AOTC I saw 4 times in theaters and absolutely loved, mostly because the visual spectacle of it, especially the last hour or so of the film. However, later I just began to see the film as a trainwreck in plot and once the novelty of the action scenes wore off I disliked it more than TPM.

I went to the midnight showing of ROTS with my brother and really wasn't super excited for it after the first two. But I ended up loving it and unlike TPM and AOTC, my enjoyment of ROTS has not dissipated and it's up there with ANH and ESB as my favorites. Which of those three is my favorite varies at any given time.

The women in my family find Star Wars boring and will fall asleep during the films. My Aunt with with me to see AOTC one of the times I went to see it in theaters, and I remember she was asleep by the time that Obi-Wan leaps out the window to pursue Zam's droid.

My dad I think likes AOTC and ROTS well enough, but he has a bad memory and seems to constantly forget what happens in which, and despite seeing ROTS twice seems adamant that he never saw it, because I think he thinks ROTS was Episode II. I've seen him sit down to watch TPM, again probably not remembering which episode it is, but once Jar Jar or child Anakin pops up on screen, he's quick to change the channel.