main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Music of TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If nothing else, I'd really like the crew to release the music from the Fugitive arc, trailer music and all. The use of a real orchestra compared to even the other S5 soundtracks made a huge difference. There were all sorts of nuances I haven't ever heard in TCW's music before.

2. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Personally my favorite TCW music is the ambient in-universe music, especially the cantina band from "Bounty", and ESPECIALLY especially that Weequay pop music that crops up on Florrum and elsewhere. Pieces like those just make me want to dance!

...Off topic but I WOULD someday like to Star Wars' version of heavy metal music.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The music for the season 5 finale trailer was awesome

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Pretty sure I've said this before, but I feel dumb for ranting about KK's failure to use motifs for my first couple years here, when he really was using them. They don't stick out as much (and aren't mixed as loudly) as JW's motifs, but they're there. Even from the very beginning with the movie, he develops an Ahsoka motif, a Ventress motif, and a couple motifs that aren't strictly used for characters (as I'd prefer, Ep. IV style)but basically "Jedi action" motifs that he then continues to use throughout literally the whole series. He uses them in different ways throughout the series just like JW uses his motifs in different ways throughout the movies. And while I always was and still am frustrated with how infrequently KK was willing to use JW's motifs, now that the show is over I have a better appreciation for the fact that he used them pretty reliably when it counted most. Yoda's motif in Ambush and Assassin, Leia's Ep. IV motif used for Alderaan in Assassin, the Imperial motif for Anakin's dark side moment in Brain Invaders and other episodes, the Emperor's motif while dueling as Darth Sidious in The Lawless, Qui-Gon's motif for his appearance in Overlords (which I didn't realize was a motif until some kind LACWACer pointed it out to me), the whispering voices used for Darth Maul in Ep. I were replicated in his TCW appearances, the list goes on.

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    ^I noticed that the first video ("Setting Balance") isn't showing up, Akash, so mind if I put it here again?

Here's a fairly comprehensive rip of numerous Savage Opress themes in one video:

Long live Randy!

6. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I watched Hell on Wheels and I really liked the music of the series.
    Still, I do not like TCW's music. Although, it is the same composer (Kiner).

7. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    The entire suite for Hostage Crisis:

Ani501st likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What is the music to the Season 5 Finale trailer? Pretty catchy.

9. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't think Kiner is derivative, per se, but maybe a bit uninspired at times. This is in no way a problem in my view, however. He is making (almost) all new music for each episode. Sure, you'll hear a reused cue every now and again but for the most part there is new music being pumped out and while every track may not be a gem, each episode does have a particular sound and is done with a sort of elegance and charm. Even the filler. But what Kiner does great is those big moments where you really need something memorable.

Take the scene from Weapons Factory when Ahsoka and Barriss are in the tank and blow up the factory. Now, I was an idiot and got so swept up with the impact of the score I actually thought for a split second that they had killed off Ahsoka in season 2. That's powerful. There are a lot of clips in this very thread that show his affinity to bring the substance when needed. The Mortis arc is one of my favorites musically. The main theme for the episodes is the Force Theme changed into something more infantile, something more primal and simpler. That's perfect!

At this point I'm rambling but I have no qualms whatsoever with Kiner's work on the series. He's genuinely impressed me on a number of occasions. Writing music for Star Wars is a huge undertaking, and given the medium he has done an extraordinary job. I, too, hope for an eventual release of his scores in an official capacity. I love his work.

10. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Found more epic Death Watch music:

"Never let the weak tell you what to do! Welcome to Death Watch!"

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Did Kevin Kiner say anything about releasing a complete soundtrack CD box set of the show ?

12. al patrickson

al patrickson Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2013
  13. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Hopefully the negotiations for the soundtrack are successful.. I'd really like to have an official soundtrack for TCW.

Ani501st likes this.
  14. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    Hopefully, they do not release soundtrack for every show but TCW deserves it.

15. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    TCW soundtrack release would be awesome!
    Disney can just take my money if they do that.
    Especially if they have music from the Fugitive arc!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You don't want a soundtrack to the Gascon & Droids arc? You don't want to relive those memories? Those wonderful memories?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  17. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    It wasn't a so bad memory for me, not the best arc but quite a good arc with the two last episodes of the arc being very good in my opinion.

18. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Now to be fair, I thought at least one scene in the Gascon/Droid arc had poignant music:

"I'll make my way home. I promise."

If/when the soundtrack is released, I hope Kiner fits in as many themes as possible from the entire series.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hadn't paid much attention to TCW music, but the score of The Wrong Jedi was pretty good.

20. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I have a feeling it would mostly/only consist of suites from various episodes (not saying it would be a bad thing).

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's better than nothing, though. Even I, an admitted hater of Kiner's early stuff, liked his overall use of themes, and how much the quality improved circa S3 and vastly improved in S5 with the use of a full orchestra.

22. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the full orchestra was only used for the fugitive arc.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Either way, S5 had consistently great music. The Fugitive arc especially so. Even I got a little misty-eyed at the end of The Wrong Jedi, and that had a lot to do with the replacement of the regular credits music with that serene continuation of the music in that final scene.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That change affected me too.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  25. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed it did. I think the overall mix was better too, which helped the orchestrations shine through even more.