main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [OOTS]You suck, Monty

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quixotic-Sith, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Cleave and Great Cleave, and yeah, they're handy.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just noticed Mr Scruffy is helping kick up sand like he's in a litter box, panel 17.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, Roy has some great cleavage. :p

VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Found this looking for something else.

[​IMG]

Comes from HERE

Anyone have that pdf?

Jedi Knight Fett and Saintheart like this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Mar, aren't you going to have a hard time with updates once you get your eyes blasted?

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, I don't think so. :p He doesn't update over weekend, does he? I should be fine on Monday.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I am now the proud owner of Start Of Darkness. [face_dancing]

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Step one complete!

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Pork!

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just caught up with the last couple of months.

Holy cow, I did not see Nale's death coming. Nor did I expect for Undead!Durkon to rejoin the group as Undead!Durkon.

I love this comic so much.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't think you have to worry about those being spoilers at this point. In fact we don't even use the spoiler tag.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh. Well, okay.

Sorry. [face_blush]

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I like how the four soldiers from panel 5 are the ones falling in in the last panel.

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I was addicted to that comic sometime ago. Haven't checked it it out in quite a few years.
    Actually forgot quite a bit of the storyline, but it was quite awesome.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "Knock 'em dead, elf." yeah, I don't know that Sabine would actually join the OOTS but that would be very interesting if she does. Funny that she had to clean up her tv mess.

I like how in that last panel the X's are gone, they are quite awake now, and one is either scratching his head or holding his head there on top of the pile. At first i thought that was all Roy but he does say "all week" so that is one week of LE deaths.

At first I thought that Elan should just run down and act as a shield for Roy or Belkar but it makes more sense to stop the archers.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Thought you might like THIS

Yes, this is pretty much on the mark.

Just to give an idea of how much the plot is planned, here's a story that will likely end up in the commentary for the next book in a different format:

One of the things I may have mentioned in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools is that while strip #1 was always the first comic, strip #4 was actually the next one produced. Before I posted it, however, I produced another strip that has never been posted; we'll call it #A.

The events depicted in #A can be summarized as follows: Elan and Haley walk on stage to where Roy is waiting. Looking sad and crying, they inform Roy that they met some undead, and Durkon turned undead. Roy is confused, they reiterate. Roy gets annoyed, says that Durkon's a cleric, so of course he turned undead, stop being so stupid. Haley and Elan walk back to the left where V and Belkar are restraining a Durkon that is a vampire—he literally turned into an undead. They make a crack about how Roy took it really well. Ba dum bump.

I did not post this strip; instead, I went back and decided that rather than one-off gags, I wanted each strip to feed into the events of the next. So I wrote #2 and #3 to get from the already-posted #1 to the already-finished (and now renumbered) #4. But that left me with #A, which if I posted it, would derail my fledgling sense of continuity, because I had no way to undo Durkon's vampirism. In the end, I tabled the joke and drew #5 instead.

However, as a result of that comic, it has always been true that someday, Durkon was going to turn into a vampire. At first, I was just going to save the joke for a day when they would have access to the means to undo it, and then later, I decided to drop the punchline and really make it a major part of what happens. But as a plot element, it literally predates the existence of the Snarl, or the Gates, or any other aspect of the plot—even Xykon himself! All of Durkon's characterization and plot, since 2003, has been leading to him becoming a vampire and the story that would spin out of that. It has influenced hundreds of decisions going back ten years of comic.

So when I post the comic where Malack kills Durkon, and then raises him as a vampire, it is not a valid criticism to come here and say, "You shouldn't have done that, you ruined the comic, Durkon should have won." The comic you're reading is the way it is for the purpose of turning Durkon into a vampire! Malack was created for the purpose of turning Durkon into a vampire! There was no possible scenario where you would be reading a Malack vs. Durkon fight scene that didn't end with Durkon getting vamped.

That's what I mean when I say that the big plot points are not really open to criticism. At a certain point, that's just the story this happens to be, and we can argue about execution, but it's still happening one way or the other.--The Giant

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I've read that. Pretty interesting, and shows how much planning is going into this comic.

19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    This guy should be making movies. :)

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's pretty amazing, actually. Not surprising, though. Burlew has a grasp of his creation that puts most authors and screenwriters to shame.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    From the Start Of Darkness it indicates when Xykon is made a lich that he has a high pitched reverb sort of voice, he lowers it to mimic Vader. I thought this villain from Thundarr might be what he sounds like.

the first is at the 22 second mark.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well I have not been the one to update the actual comic in ages. :p

I went down, down down #919

I cheered within.

Did you ever read the alternate ending for Freddy vs Jason? Apparently they were about to kill each other at the end when the lights go out, chains strike out of nowhere and separate them, then Pinhead from Hellraiser strides in and says, "Now then, gentlemen. What seems to be the problem?" This is one of them moments and illustrates (like Tarquin) that high level is fun.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Aw yes, Vaarsuvius! :cool:

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Good to have him back, but the joke at the end is a bit [face_plain] .

:p

25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000