main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I came to appreciate Palpatine more with TCW and reading the Plagueis novel. He is one of the most sufficiently creepy and well done villains in pop culture in decades and Filoni and Co. did well expanding on that. In fact, he's probably the only well-done villain in the show.

I had always assumed Vader got injured in a volcano, maybe because I was fascinated by volcanoes as a kid. ESB came out the same month Mount St Helens erupted; I was 8 at the time. I had an LOTR-type scenario in my mind in which Anakin went after some dangerous power-encompassing crystal in or near a volcano, and Obi-Wan tried to stop him.

I also had assumed that Anakin's wife had been a Jedi; I was interested in Padme's character and pleased with it in the first two prequels and TCW. Not discussing ROTS, she was written wrong on so many levels there.

I'm definitely the only woman in my family who likes Star Wars but I never experienced what I have heard other women sci-fi fans have experienced; I have never been told that "you aren't supposed to like this since you're a girl."

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  2. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    You're German, aren't you ?

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He's Australian.

I used to love following elections and I am apparently one of very few who finds the political subplots of the PT, TCW and Luceno novels interesting, but I get completely burned out on RL election coverage now.

4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I enjoyed the political subplots in Star Wars (among others), but there's too much drama in RL elections for me to enjoy. Seems like the definition of 'debate' is to see who can come up with the biggest insult these days..

5. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    Oh alright, I was asking this because I heard there were elections in Germany.
    I only follow presidential election, the others not really, I vote and my grandfather gives me the results of them but that's all ( only since 2012 because I was able to vote ). I also find the political subplots of the PT and TCW interesting.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Politicians have been on too many message boards. :p

7. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    Politic is central in the world so that's why I guess it is on too many message boards ^^

8. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I love the prequels because I grew up with them. Like how a lot of people grew up with the OT and claimed the newer movies "ruined their childhood"
    Pshht. I guess my opinion doesn't matter seeing as how I was born after '93.

But more on topic...Actually, I have no idea what the current topic is. So I'll just cram this in: I think a lot of people spazz out about the politics of the Prequels because they're so accustomed to problems being sorted out via huge explosions and sword battles. Well, sucks for you, because most of the time problems are solved by men and women in nice suits having meetings. You can't chronicle the fall of the Republic without making the political climate know, you know?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The prequels didn't "ruin my childhood."

Having to wait for home video to be invented, ruined my childhood.

When your movie was gone from the theater, you never saw it again. :_|

And appointment television sucks.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The prequels are underrated so is TCW

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I can't say that they are underrated or if the OT is overrated. I love the saga, but I don't put it on a pedestal like I definitely did when I was younger, when way too many of my hobbies included playing Star Wars video games, card games, watching the movies, or talking of the movies.

I feel like I have a more "normal" relationship with the franchise as I've gotten older.

It wasn't just Star Wars. I would move from one thing to the next to the next, and whatever singular thing I was interest in at any given time would pretty much dominate how I spent my free time. So, I might be obsessed with Star Wars and all Star Wars tie-in stuff, or I might be fascinated with dinosaurs, lose interest in Star Wars, and obsess over reading about them, drawing them, and watching movies like Jurassic Park.

That kind of narrow interest in a single franchise/hobby/interest was something that really dominated my behavior when I was a kid, and some thought it was a symptom of Aspergers. Though it's waned as I've gotten older, so I don't think so (but I was never formally evaluated for it either).

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    GL said in an interview in 1977 that when Darth Vader was defeated by Obi-Wan Kenobi it was on a lava world and he got all burned up and that's why he has the suit, so you may have either read that or been told by someone who did. On your last point, my sister plays fantasy-themed MMORPG's and pretends to be a boy because she almost always gets sexist remarks when everyone knows she's a girl.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I know a lot of guys that play as female characters in games and I've always felt awkward doing so. If it's a single player game like KOTOR II where the character's sex can affect options or plot lines, then sometimes I'll give it a whirl. But back in the days of Star Wars: An Empire Divided, I remember forcing myself to make a female character, right out of the gate I'm getting invites to groups and someone arbitrarily gives me 100,000 credits. I felt like I was cheating at the game, quit, made a male character and got no special treatment.

I had subsequently played TOR and out of four characters went with 2 male/2 female, and didn't notice any different treatment according to sex of character.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    My parents are perfectly adequate, so kindly don't go there again.

Nope!
    Though, I would love to live in Berlin; that city is incredible.

15. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I agree wholeheartedly. I just started a male char, and thought everybody was rude because I was a guy and the game was a million times harder. Then it dawned on me.
    1) It's because I genuinely suck as a melee Jedi n00b 2) For some reason there are more jerks in the republic than the empire, ironic escapism at it's finest.
    Seriously I play MMOs on a very frequent basis, I feel like I heard and seen it all, and SWTOR is rather civil.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh, I didn't mean she picks a male character, I mean she herself pretends to be male so they don't know she's a girl because apparently when they know she gets all kinds of annoying and inappropriate comments. That's really interesting about KOTOR though, I'm currently making my way through the first game for the second time as light side (third time total), it never occurred to me that picking a female character would give me different options. Is it anything significant? Can you be in a lesbian relationship with Bastila at the end?

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I'm not so sure about how the game is affected in the first KOTOR according to sex, though I know certain NPCs treat you differently (like how you go about getting to the party where you acquire the Sith armor on Taris). In KOTOR 2 the difference is more pronounced as there are two party members, one that you will get and the other that you will not get, depending on the sex of your character.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Enough. Your recent posts in this thread were becoming a bit too much before this point, but this is the one that crossed the line.

19. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    You done goofed!

20. TOPGUNxICEMAN

TOPGUNxICEMAN Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2013
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Hey, I get it. It's a moderated internet community... the sort of relic of 1996 where being nasty to other people is totally OK, but only by being sarcastic, posting snarky GIFs, brown-nosing in reply to mod comments, putting words in their mouths, or taking their words out of context just so you can try to look witty on the internet... but never, ever by calling the one meaningful factor into question: their character as a human being.

[face_love] @};- MTFBWY, B's! @};- [face_love]

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Because emoticons are so 1996 right? Getting up on a pedestal, telling people what to think, making snarky comments about folks parents are baiting which is not okay dude.

I've never been particularly hard on anything on screen. I enjoy campy, goofy stuff. I love cartoons of all kinds and consider myself a passionate animation buff. I am also obsessed with many franchises from my childhood. Members who have known me for the past two years are particularly aware of my love for what is quite possibly the worst childrens franchise of them all Power Rangers which I've been very open about in order to provide more context to some of the points I try to make for TCW. I always use Power Rangers to outline the worst of any other franchise. I credit these franchises for teaching me how to turn what I've dubbed my lame filter on or off to enjoy the faults of movies and shows which make the entire experience of watching something even better. Power Rangers is really lame but at the same time to me has a better mythology than Transformers does IMO. Make no mistake. If I don't like something, I'll turn it off. Life is to short for me the waste time on something I'm not enjoying.

I wasn't new to the franchise before TCW. My dad took out an old ANH VHS out when I was like five and showed it to me. Before I got here I had seen the movies but I wasn't invested. I only saw the PT movies a couple of times each despite the fact that I've always liked TPM. (=P) Now I find I appreciate all the movies alot more after getting into TCW which was the perfect gateway since I love animation. ROTS, ANH, and even ROTJ were all really enhanced. I even teared up when Vader died. Probably because I love playing connect the dots since I enjoy putting everything together in my head and liked delving deeper into the mythos (I usually get into something on the mythology level). I'm still surprised it was the clones that really grabbed me. I was never invested enough before to want to learn about the larger GFFA through the EU.

I've not really show my parents any of TCW. I think my dad came in and watched a little bit of "The General" once and was impressed by the animation but didn't stick around. He's not much of a cartoon guy really, and tends to turn his nose up an animation unfortunately. My mother is even more so. My Uncle Paul on the other hand got into the show after he came in and watched the movie (oddly enough) albeit drunk LOL. He doesn't seem to mind Ahsoka.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    My father is somewhat of an OT-purist, though whenever he discusses the PT with me, he brings up Phantom Menace first, and I think after that film he very much gave up on the other two being any good, however much I try to convince him otherwise.

He doesn't see the point of the ST, and thinks it's just being made for money and will, again, be a terrible trilogy that fails to replicate the magic of the originals. He really loves the originals though.

That said, I have shown him some arcs in TCW - the ones I consider to be of particularly high-quality, such as the Rako Hardeen arc and Maul's stuff (he's not really bothered that he survived, given that he despises TPM, and thinks that he was handled really well - loved the spider legs). Yeah, I find it odd too that he's against any new SW films but TCW was good.

My mother loves the originals as well, and simply doesn't care about any of the other SW stuff. She watches the originals and that's enough for her.

My parents' love of the OT has passed on to me, as well as the hatred for TPM, but otherwise we're very different. I read the novels, play the games, watch the show, scour Wookieepedia for hours. I also very much analyse SW, the themes and symbolism, the characters and factions and what their journeys are. They just view them as damn good films, which isn't really a problem!

25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I know a dude at work who is a big SW fan and an OT purist although I've gotten him watching TCW. Anytime the PT is mentioned he'll automatically bring up Jake Lloyed as the main example of how the PT just sucks and goes on about that for 30 minutes. I've wondered if he remembers anything else about the PT.