main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    No kidding - my dad is a long time veteran of the oil industry...and let me tell you, I hear a lot about short-sighted kids with business degrees instead of experience with oil are ruining the industry.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In that vein, it's always fun to get my Dad onto the topic of 22-year-old Management Consultants!

The version of capitalism that's reigned for about the last 30-odd years, so most of or in excess of the bulk of our lifetime, is that which prizes shareholder value above all other measures! Share price is up? Job done. You had to cause environmental devastation to do it? No problem. You fired 5000 employees and put more strain on the state and society? Who cares about that? Not our problem. This is what we're up against.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it's interesting. It's not even the impact on third parties that's gone away -- it's people thinking about the future of their own companies that's gone too. Used to be you built a company to last.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So you can say "It is a small world" in how many languages?

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On the languages topic: in high school, my best friend and I used to speak French just to piss my sister off. She always thought we were talking about her. We usually weren't.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They don't actually sing outside the ride -- they just play the tune over and over and over again (luckily it was during the holiday season, so it was the Christmas version). It's only inside the ride where you get the singing in multiple languages, along with all the racist little robots.

ugh, I can't even find a proper video on youtube. It's all either the ride interior with the singing, or the stupid clock show that plays every 15 minutes. I just want the exterior music, dammit! Sigh. :(

But basically it's the small world tune interspersed with a random flourish from jingle bells every so often.

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    on the topic of disney songs when i was around 5-6 i used to have a babysitter that had these 2 disney cd's that we would always listen to, there are 3 songs which i distincly remember, but have no idea what they are from, one is a whale of a tale/tail the other is a the monkey's uncle, and the third is red yellow green (red blue blue blue) does anyone know what those are from?

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

jacktherack likes this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My childhood Disney memorabilia memories:

Listening to the Sounds of the Haunted Mansion record over and over. Terrified me as a kid.

The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea board game, where you had these cool submarine tokens where you could take the top half off to indicate they were 'submerged', and warships that come after you.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah was an awesome Disney song!

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    No real reason to buy a Vita anyway, only like 4 games for it worth playing anyway. [face_dunno]

14. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I suppose this will also be the first "main" game with a female assassin, which ought to please many.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    He has also made comments about what the role of women should be in families as well as some wonderful comments about black people in society. He was the number two choice of Republicans to run for President in 2012.

I think that qualifies him as a nationally prominent politician.

16. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I thought that was the game of life? :confused:

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Speaking as a Pennsylvanian--we just keep him around for lols.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Hat, or no hat? Seems a simple enough decision to me.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not sure I follow -- and moreover, the answers is, as always, hat.

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Hat. Fancy hat.

vs.

No hat. Hatless. Deprived of hats.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Damn -- lady knows how to dress!

Yeah, I mean, I already liked her whole eagle-brimmed hat thing over the silly hoods, just ask Mia . I wasn't aware, though, that the AC4 guy singularly lacks hats, that's ridiculous! What kind of civilized person goes outdoors without a hat? :(

But no, Aveline's story is far more interesting (former slave!) and finally gives us a female protag for once. Edward could be just as interesting as Haytham and still wouldn't give us the story that Aveline does, and I'd always been bummed that the game was limited to a handheld console.

I'm now very happy I resisted the temptation to just youtube the story, so I can play it spoiler free! :D

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Putting aside civilized, what sort of pirate goes around without even a single pirate hat in his wardrobe? It's an embarrassment to pirates everywhere.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Next you'll tell me he doesn't even wear a jabot.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It seems he does not. We can only hope that Woodes Rogers possesses a better sense of style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.