main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Obi-Wan's development in the saga...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Sep 5, 2013.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Great post PiettsHat. I completely agree. I particularly like this:

Edit: And, just to clarify, the reason I say the "certain point of view" thing is rubbish is because if you know the person you are talking to is going to understand your statements in a manner that doesn't convey the reality of the situation, then you are lying.

When Obiwan's discussing this with Luke, he's talking to someone who is very obviously going to take what he says 100% literally. And Obiwan knows it. He's consciously manipulating Luke. It's not a case of him thinking he's telling the truth and then subsequently being misunderstood, as the "certain point of view" line later tries to claim that it is.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

His manipulation didn't work. Luke continued to resist the idea of killing Anakin, right up to his confrontation with the latter and Palpatine aboard the Death Star.

3. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Obi Wan does not believe Anakin exists anymore, I believe he thinks he killed him which is why he cant tell Luke the truth otherwise he would never have gone on to challenge the Emperor, he wants him to kill "...only a master of evil Darth...(Vader)

4. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    I think Han Burgundy Nails it. And Drush76 gives us the aftermath of the lie. So just read those two post

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I like Obi Wan as a character and he seem very consistent though all 6 of the GL films. Who he was in Ep 1 is the same guy in Ep 4.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't know. I think Obi-Wan learned to let go of some of his rigid thinking by Episode 4. But only some. I feel that he still failed to let go of all of them, even beyond death. Perhaps the Skywalker men's actions aboard the Second Death Star may have finally let go of that rigid thinking.

7. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I personally enjoy his development. He grows from an impulsive padawan, to a wise knight, to a, partly, bitter old man. His best friend turned to the dark side, the rest of his friends died or went into hiding. I personally would be even more bitter than Obi-Wan is, if my friend turned to the dark side and my other friends died. Obi-Wan remains one of my favorite characters and I stand by GL's decision on Kenobi's character.