main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY March of the Snow-Mandos!

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Jun 23, 2013.

1. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Dan told me about this supplier last night... and was only able to check out the website this morning. They also carry WONDERFLEX.

http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?s=UN4V
    It turns out to be $5 cheaper through Cosplay supplies, (XL sheet is $80 through COSPLAY SUPPLIES and through YayaHan $65 + $20 S&H) for a single sheet order, and they do offer a discount with more ordered.

If you all want to do a GROUP order to save a few $ through Cosplay supplies, let me know.
    To organize the group order, I will request the $ up front before placing the order.

I apologize to those who have already ordered through YAYAHAN's site- again, I just found out this other option was available. Yaya was the only US supplier for a long time.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  2. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
  3. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    One of my brother-in-laws works for the Buffalo Museum of Science and proposed this to me over brunch: they have a workshop and he would like to offer it for our use for our armor building workshop. His only condition is that for the time we would want to use it it would be during museum hours and the last half hour of our time he could "open" the workshop so museum goers could see what we are doing. Also, he has a 3d fabricator and a vacuform machine he would let us use. Regardless of whether we accept this proposal, he would like to invite us, and the rest of the club, to the museum's "maker's fair" in March which will feature cosplayers.

72Princess likes this.
  4. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    <gasp> yes!! I'm in!!

5. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012

I may need some help picking my jaw up from the floor. it seems to have crashed through the floor to the lower level! That would be awesome! Allowing us access to a 3D fabricator and a vacuform machine would both be amazing! I think the idea of partially turning the workshop into an exhibit of sorts is pretty interesting as well. I would be up for this!

Wild Sidewalker and 72Princess like this.
  6. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    Those look great, Anna. At first I wasn't sure about the black heel, however, if the heel doesn't look good with the costume I am sure we can always paint it a lighter color.... Everything else about them looks perfect.

7. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    Very very cool.

8. GrandAdmDraco

GrandAdmDraco Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2011
    Bill, I'm in for any Museum workshop. Anna, if a group order happens I'd be very interested. :)

9. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    I think once everyone who can has their armor building materials orders in (ex. worbla and craft foam sheets), we can set a date. Based on museum hours and my availability, I am going to suggest either Saturday, September 28, either 3-6 or 6-9 PM, or Sunday, September 29, 2-5 PM.

10. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Kathy just told me I'm already committed all Saturday. So, how are people with Sunday, September 29, 2-5?

Also, they are open until 9pm on Thursdays and Fridays; so perhaps Thursday, September 26, 6-9 PM could be an option?

11. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I am available for both THURS 26th 6-9, AND Sunday 29th 3-5 but will have to bolt right at 5pm.

12. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    I was looking at other boots and considering the Star Wars costuming style. Is it okay to have boots with buckles, straps, or laces? They seem to prefer featureless boots or perhaps straps. I'd much prefer some Italian military snow boots I saw on eBay but they use laces.

13. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm going to be ordering some more soon if anyone wants to jump in with me.

Helpful hint for armor....

Mando armor has to be in size relative to your body. Not to big, not to small. It also has to have the diamond in the center....
    Plus the armor/suit since it is climate based would have to reflect that. You do not need a jet back or back pack. You also don't need gauntlets like Boba and Jango, however you need some sort of forearm covering. If you plan on using camouflage it must be homemade and not an off the rack design.

Other than that the sky's the limit.

14. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    As long as the can be covered up you can have laces and buckles.

15. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    For some helpful hints and things of that sort

The Mando Mercs have one of the greatest resources available.

Mercs.firespray.net

Keep in mind we are doing this for fun and not necessarily to join. So the standards listed don't necessarily apply.
    Think of it as helpful hints......

16. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    You just gave me a great idea for my boots, Dan!

Also, regarding coveralls, how do I figure out the size I should order? I was considering a "Large" but there are also qualifiers like "Large, Large Regular, Large Tall". I figure I'm not "Large Tall" but does anyone know what distinguishes a "Large" from a "Large Regular"?

17. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Considering we might now have access to a vacuform machine, if everyone is cool with the Buffalo Museum of Science collaboration, does anyone have a mold for gauntlets or able to sculpt one?

18. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm not sure. I would imagine it may have to do with width of foot.

19. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm not going to be available for anything the weekend of th 29th.

That said, if they have a vacuum former and a 3d replicator, I have helmet we can mold off of that will fit everyone.........

20. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    For the coverall?

21. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012

if there is a size chart you could try to determine from that. if not id say buy a size bigger and if need be we can alter it down to fit you just right.

22. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    We could use AJ's for a reference. I wonder how difficult a mould would be to carve out of expandable foam....

23. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Some

Somehow I skimmed over the words coverall and thought you were referring to a boot.

The tall aspect of the cover all is the length from shoulder to crotch. I honestly think you would be a regular as opposed to tall.

24. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005

Let me see if the spare is gauntlet is floating around still. ( I had a friend that was selling is legacy gauntlets cheap) if its sill out there we could use them as well. Keep in mind that its not a necessity unless you are doing boba or Jango.....

25. jediprof

Jul 14, 2009
    I am free for those times as well.