main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books EMPIRE & REBELLION: RAZOR'S EDGE by Martha Wells: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Sep 6, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

As bad as it sounds even the Prequels did it better.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

Is that the dude with the giant 'stache? I guess I could go check the Wook, but I wanted to see if I remembered.

And... no. Though Rebellion apparently guessed wrong, too. What I remember about Willard was that the guy that dubbed him is one of the Wars/Trek actors.

3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Well, not the feeling you're describing, not the "this is the next big novel thing". But rather that it's a plausible thing to be released as a regular SW novel. And I can't say how these novels I mentioned actually feel, as I said, I've real only few releases lately. But with these E&R books, I don't even feel this "oh, they're putting out some non-main Jedi adventure novel". But maybe it's the covers - The Last Jedi doesn't chart on my radar, either, although I could theoretically be tempted to read it since I've already read Coruscant Nights. These new covers really turn me off more than any 3-minute-Falcon-shop. Is it the colour/design of the logo? I truly can't say.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i agree. i don't find myself looking forward to these either. maybe i will be surprised.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, for years I thought the same thing -- when I learned Rebellion got it wrong, I was saddened. Willard will always be mustachioed to me :(

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    *cough*

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Perhaps you ought to go get that cough checked out by a doctor.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Willard didn't have a moustache, that was Commander Bob Hudsol.

9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    So you're hinting at a continuity error regarding Doctor Evazan! Or maybe 2-1B? Interesting...

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Not really any errors from what I can tell, but that's also because there's basically not a whole lot of continuity to begin with. Definitely not with the EU (outside of one vague mention of a prior story) and very little with the movies, other than the obvious ANH mentions and this being set during Echo Base's construction 2 ABY.

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    There is also the whole Han Solo and the Corperate Sector thing that keeps getting brought up, but yeah other then that, very little I could spot so far.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, friend, that is where "Rebellion got it wrong" comes in. ;)

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm with Jello--Rebellion ruined me.

On continuity--I'm very early in the book, but already I noticed that they're still called Red Squadron; that seems off but I'm not positive.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Rebellion - the comic or the game?

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    themetresgained and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    She's got the wrong gun.

What?

Awkward.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    STAR WARS: EMPIRE AND REBELLION: RAZOR’S EDGE micro excerpt #2:

Terae said, “If Alderaan had kept to its principles of peace and neutrality, the Empire would not have attacked.”

And if the Empire had not been corrupt, venal, and determined to destroy any hint of resistance, the Empire would not have presented a threat to Alderaan’s peace in the first place, Leia thought. This was not an argument she wanted to have again, but she seemed perpetually doomed to repeat it. Her punishment for surviving, perhaps.

“Alderaan was too powerful, too influential. Sooner or later, the Empire would have found a reason to attack us, no matter how peaceful and neutral we claimed to be.”

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Makes sense. I'm sure Bail's vacation on the Death Star in Force Unleashed I and Princess Leia's direct involvement with Vader's capture in Force Unleashed II had absolutely no influence on the Empire's decision-making process.

Grey1 and Gorefiend like this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Leia's involvement was super secret.

21. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

In her defense, she made her costume in 12 hours and didn't know she was going to Dragon Con until the week before. She had to borrow my gun, which is for my Mirax Terrik costume. Yes, Leia and Mirax share weapons. :p

Abadacus, Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

In certain parts of the internet they also share husbands [face_batting]

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hey, I'm not being critical; I'm just observing. :p

24. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003

I'll just toss myself off the metaphorical bridge now because someone on the internet has criticized that I had to borrow a blaster for a costume at the last minute even though Del Rey and Martha Wells have both praised the costume. Oh no.

Back on topic, I really enjoy the book. Wells has a great handle on both Leia and Han's characters and it's the happiest I've been with Leia's portrayal in years. The main cast is also nice and diverse, as someone already noted. It's a solidly enjoyable read and I recommend it.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I really should've put some kind of emote up, but it was a joke and I totally wasn't criticizing you. I really do like your costume.

Ordo N-11 likes this.