main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Yes, but those plans weren't seriously developed until recently. Those were just vague notions of what the ST would look like.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I think Mr Hamill has been waiting for thirty years....I think he has always thought it was a possibility if GL could bring himself to do it. From ESB onwards I always felt the OT was the middle act of the story and (tho I had given up hope) I always hoped 7.8.9 would come.....development, yes it has not been developed before but the idea has been there from very early days both in the hearts of the fans and those involved in creating it

Krueger likes this.
  3. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    Falcon and Cantina to appear in Star Wars Episode VII - A New Dawn
    http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/09/0...o-appear-in-star-wars-episode-vii-a-new-dawn/

Rumor: Millennium Falcon to Appear in Star Wars Episode VII: A New Dawn

By: Russ Burlingame on September 8, 2013

[​IMG]
    Alright, so that headline is technically two rumors, but they come from the same source, so we’re just being efficient.

UPDATED: Dagnabbit–I knew that sounded familiar! Star Wars Episode VII: A New Dawnis a rumor that’s been floating around since last November. It’s being reported as “debunked” atSuperhero Movie News, although honestly it appears to be just another in a long line of officially-unaddressed rumors.
    Talkbacker is reporting that they’ve got two separate sources telling them the subtitle forStar Wars Episode VII will be “A New Dawn.” While lacking the punch of something like “The Phantom Menace,” it also somewhat lacks the sense of desperation that some fans felt that title communicated, and so probably would do just fine with the fan base past the first week of “no one likes anything new” responses to the announcement.
    The site also reports that both Han Solo’s famed craft the Millennium Falcon and the Mos Eisley Cantina will be sets used in Episode VII, with the pair of them already under construction as the film moves through pre-production and toward the start of principal photography in early 2014.
    “The Falcon will make a big appearance,” said their source. “1.1 scale size cross section is being constructed over at Pinewood, along with a power plant set and the famous Cantina.”
    That sounds a bit like the elder statesmen of the Star Wars franchise have returned to some semblance of their normal lives by the time the story kicks off, with Luke on Tattooine and Han aboard the Falcon. That’s just speculation, though.
    …And, hey! What about Chewie? Everyone else is coming back for more, but it seems unlikely that Peter Mayhew–who now requires a cane to walk–could do what’s needed of him in the Chewbacca suit. Could that impact the odds of the character returning, even if it’s true that the rest of the principal cast will be back?

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not really concerned about missing speculation on a probably-bogus rumor, but do you realize that font makes it very hard to read your post?

5. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Why was it a mistake? They produced a large amount of content that a lot of people enjoyed. They made a lot of money and it helped keep interest in Star Wars going. The EU wasn't a mistake at all.

HWK-290 likes this.
  6. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The EU is not a mistake in and of itself, but it was a mistake to make it out to be the only and official continuation of the story. It should perhaps have had a disclaimer or something. "If pigs fly and Episodes VII-IX get made this book might be overruled" But it didn't. A mistake.

The fallout of this mistake is that a number of EU-fans might feel disappointment with the new films. Which is kind of sad for them really, maybe kind of unfair. But a very tiny deal on the whole.

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The two biggest mistakes of the EU are the sheer scale of post-RotJ material and the over-involvent of the Big Three. How many times have they interceded against yet-another Galaxy Spanning Threat™? With the approach of the ST, all that material will either be ignored or contadicted, cuz the ST writers sure as (beep) wont allow themselves to be constrained by anything other than the movies.

8. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    The Cantina scene was great...it was great in A New Hope. It wouldn't be great in this movie. It would feel rehashed and cheap...at least that's what my gut tells me. If I'm wrong just tell me to shut up and to quit being a piss ant.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Wouldn't call that a mistake. Many fans (including me) are fans of the characters rather than the universe itself. Therefore, we want to read primarily about the characters we are fans of, not "random hobo from the planet Dantooine".

JediGirl_Angelina and HWK-290 like this.
  10. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I wouldn't say it was over involvement of the Big Three. I mean, those characters ARE Star Wars. I think the problem was the repeating stories and themes and a lack of a single vision of the galaxy. How many times some Imperial Warlord who was Palpatines favorite find some dark side user on some back water world and some super weapon the Empire stashed away, then kidnapped Han and Leia's kids in a plot to over throw the New Republic? How many times did a new character or love interest or side-kick get introduced and dropped by the new author in favor of their own creations? How many times did a new start ship or fighter etc... get introduced and dropped in favor the next authors idea etc.....

11. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

That wasn't a mistake either. Its all they had at the time. If an fan is disapointed when the movie comes out its on them for not being flexible enough to adapt to the changing Star Wars enviroment.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh. I always wanted to see more of the universe outside what those particular three people were doing. The overuse really got out of hand at one point.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There are a couple of universes that I prefer to the SW one. Especially those were alien societies aren't characterized by a single trait. Or were ugliness =! evil.

Circular Logic likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    My problem with the Big 3 is that we are still getting stories with them 40 years after the movies. Time to move onto the next generation. Should have been retired after the NJO series or slowly put out of the spotlight. The galaxy survived one of the darkest threats its ever seen, the galaxy was united for the first in forever, there was a fully realized next generation, the Yuuzhan Vong were a great enemy as well.
    Bravo for them for come up with a generation that could replace the Big 3 generation. Boo for not going the whole way.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wanted the big 3 to stay the heroes, perpetually in their 20s/30s/early 40s. One reason I bounced from post ROTJ universe at "Vector Prime" izzat there were whole chapters and character POVs devoted to Jacen, Jania & Anakin Solo. I didn't sign up for that! Also Moon on Wookie was what pushed it over the edge to me into Not My Star Wars.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I signed on for continuing stories with the OT characters and expanding the galaxy. Give us new enjoyable characters, species, planets, organizations etc. We got all that. Where's the fun in just having the same characters all the time? Do you read the Old Republic stuff or the PT era BigAl6ft6? What's the fun of having the Big 3 not get challenged mentally and emotionally? The Bantam New Republic books got old after a while. Pointless. We knew they would win no contest. That's fun the first few times but come on.
    Yeah Chewie's deat sucked but it was enjoyable how things were changed after. Agents of Chaos Duology with Han dealing with his grief over Chewie's death was perfect. If I gave up after VP I would not have had the pleasure of reading that duology. People die. Obi-Wan anyone? Yoda? Anakin Skywalker? Its war. No one is invincible.

Robimus and mes520 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually, since I own 95% of Bantam's output and about 4% of Del Rey's output (and my Del Rey output is localized to almost entirely PT era novels), it's very clear what I did like more. the OT characters in adventures. The kids are just that, kids. Props. If they're going to do the next generation, I think that is big enough to be the space of the film franchise and not the novels. Also killing off Chewbacca is just a silly, sensational, over-the-top idea to sell books that they flat-out admitted was akin to "killing the family dog". And then dropped a moon on him which is tantamount to saying "LOOK! HE'S DEAD! A MOON! DEAD!!!" You can kill these characters off in movies, not in the novels. Doesn't work that way. Don't accept it, don't buy it.

The Star Trek novels, and also comic books mostly, do a good job of keeping the characters in a perpetual state of "middle act". That's what the post ROTJ EU should have done. Middle act. Stuff is in between novels but resolved with no lasting impact. Bantam did that. I like Bantam. Simple. And since with the forthcoming ST that will probably steamroll basically all of Del Rey's output but Bantam's output probably only needs a few cosmetic trims to keep around (Thrawn trilogy minus pregnant Leia / married Han & Leia if they aren't married in the ST, that sort of deal) it is easier to say which one group did a better job of publishing self-contained spin-off materiel, not universe altering shock value stories that was Del Rey's stock in trade.

18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Frankly, I think this is much more reasonable than either of the extremes that are being discussed. Considering that the ST being made never really seemed that likely, and moved into the almost-impossible around the time of the PT, I don't think it's at all fair to blame the writers for not taking its possibility into account. And I personally found the Bantam novels' rigid adherence to the status quo to be extremely boring (which is emphatically not to say that I liked the specific ways in which the Del Rey novels altered said status quo). But it does seem like people really should have been much clearer about the whole "tiers of canon" system.

19. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    There are problems with the EU but killing characters for shock value isn't one of them. You're welcome to not like how Chewbacca bit the dust in Vector Prime, but the post-ROTJ EU has over 80 books and 1 major* death of a character from a film. One. In over 80 books. Four major deaths (of good guys) overall. The idea that the Star Wars EU kills off too many major characters for shock value is 100% BS. Again, there are other issues with the character deaths - I think Chewbacca's is the only big one that's actually written well - but their frequency isn't one of them.

*Calling Chewbecca a major character from the films is, to be completely honest, a little bit of a stretch. But I'm not going to plant my flag on that issue.

Force Smuggler and HWK-290 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    One is too many! It's Chewie! Sorry, don't do that. It's a shock-value move to sell books. I bailed.

21. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    If you want to have the opinion that having the 9th most important character of a movie trilogy die in 80-something novels where no other deaths of major movie characters occur, then that's fine.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    C'mon, Chewie's higher on the totem poll than Lando. He's, like, Big 7th-8th!

Don't kill top 10 movie trilogy characters in a spin-off novel for the start of your big publishing event with a new publisher simply so you can move books. That's just crass.

MillionthVoice likes this.
  23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I really think the divide is between viewing the proper role of the EU as a continuation of the saga (and all that word connotes) or more as a series of light pulp adventures. I prefer my EU to be breezy fun that harkens back to the lighter moments of ANH, and tend to agree with BigAl6ft6.

ChildOfWinds and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I really think that's a gross oversimplification. (As is much of this thread, but I've said that before).

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know, I'm not saying it's the full story, but I think it's a key factor. It's also not a slam against anyone's POV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.