main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

Neither the Raptor nor the Indra are one-shot-one-kill rifles, and that's why I carry them as my anti-Cerberus and anti-Geth snipers (at least for all classes but the soldier and infiltrator; I go with the N7 Valiant there). Given all those damned smokescreens Cerberus uses and the fact that both factions have cloaked units, I want a sniper rifle that's effective at medium range on rapid-moving targets without requiring a concentration mod (I prefer using my second slot on a piercing mod rather than taking the time to mail slot Guardians). In that case, being efficient with ammo is less critical than being efficient with time; I don't care if it takes five or ten shots to down the guy if they come flying out of the gun in less time than it takes to accurately aim and fire off one round from a more powerful gun, especially if it means I still have enough bullets to kill two or three more enemies before reloading.

Having 15 or 25 shots on tap also means you spend less time aiming and more time shooting; granted it takes your overall accuracy down but you can afford to miss shots. As far as accuracy, most of the sniper rifles are about pinpoint accurate; it's just the muzzle climb on the multi-shot weapons you need to be concerned with. The way to compensate there is to eschew headshots and aim for center of mass; the recoil will walk the shots right up to the head.

Reapers on the other hand get the one-shot treatment - they don't have cloaks or smokescreens, move slower, and to me at least they seem to field armored heavies more often. It's helpful to have a gun that can drop an oncoming Brute with one bullet.

2. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    On another note, is any one else under the impression that the ME movie will never be made?
    Especially since Avi Arad said it probably won't come till 2018 or 2019.
    Sounds like just enough time for something to go into development hell.
    Just a gut feeling though...

3. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I hope so. That rumor is one of those things where for the most part all I can imagine is a colossal, expensive, completely unnecessary train wreck that makes the ME3 ending controversy look like a Star Wars/Star Trek piddling contest at a convention.

1) Much of ME's charm is the multiple-choice aspect. A movie will lose that, and you'll get scads of fan angst over which version they did.

2) Movies of games generally don't do so well, which leads to the next point.

3) It'll cost scads of money to make, which combined with points 1 and 2 spells "BOMB" complete with flashing radiation trifoils and loud sirens.

4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'll never understand why people want to see a movie made of story-heavy video games. You have a game, why would you want a movie?

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I've heard rumors about the powers that be wanting to create a Mass Effect movie. But they're just rumors, and I am skeptical that they would be able to craft any story involving Shepard (even prior to the events of ME1) on the same level of the story in the series. Plus, there should be no canon Shepard. A movie about Shepard's history would threaten to create a 'canon' Shepard, a big no-no, IMO, or at the very least one interpretation of Shepard that many fans won't share. So I don't see it being a good idea, unless the movie focuses on another part of the ME universe, and on a character completely unrelated to Shepard...ideally during a timeline separate from the three games.

Very cool avatar, BTW. An N7 stormtrooper? I looked online and found this from the same site you likely took your avatar from:

[​IMG]
    Behold, a salarian Jedi Knight!

Agreed, a movie based on such a game will likely never hold a candle to the actual interactive experience that the gamer has when experiencing the story on their own. But if they really want to make a Mass Effect movie, I'd go for exploring some other aspect of the universe not covered or scarcely covered by the games themselves, focusing on a completely new character and possibly a different part of the timeline. First Contact War, anyone?

6. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    Not a rumor, truth! It is in development and they are penning the script for the second time. It is set to be an adaptation of ME1 with BroShep in it.
    The only good thing about games to film is that it reaches a wider audience. Other than that I say it's a waste, especially with a game like Mass Effect with such loose canon.

As far as the profile pic I grabbed it from google images. :D
    Only thing better than a Salarian Jedi is Jedi Mordin!

Circular Logic likes this.
  7. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    There are a lot of things Hollywood has optioned, penned scripts for, and placed "in development" that aren't planned to see the light of day. It's popular for them to snap up the movie rights to something and camp on it. There's no concrete intention to actually make the movie; it's just a matter of acquiring rights to it before someone else does, and then down the road if someone wants to do the movie they owe Studio X a large chunk of change.

Regarding the Star Wars/ME mashups, I did find myself going back to some old fanfic ideas and incorporating a few elements. For instance, there was one long-running ex-Imperial Sith character of mine that originally used a dual-bladed lightsaber; somehow in recent drafts that's changed to gauntlet-mounted lightsabers. I wonder where I got the idea ...

The 91st Recon/"Australia Post Troopers" armor from Episode III also seemed like a good base for the N7 colors, given the helmet is a halfway decent match for the N7 armor:

[​IMG]

8. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Decent win at ME1 yesterday - took down a thresher maw on foot with my adept Shep. Not bad considering that class has all the durability of wet tissue paper against toxic and melee attacks, and I was limited to a pistol and biotics (had Wrex and Garrus along for shotgun and AR support, though).

07jonesj likes this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm more worried the next game will suck than a movie, almost all video game-based movies aren't very good anyway.

10. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I love being nerdy. :D Tried making a ME story once.
    Didn't turn out so well.

11. DarthCane

May 30, 2002

More to the point, a lot of those movies end up being financial bombs for the studio. Nope, for now I'm fairly sure it won't happen.

Decided to take a break with my adept and do a New Game + in ME3 with the vanguard. Mars was fun - I kitted up the M-90 Indra with a thermal scope and piercing mod and shot up the turret control room from the outside. Killed all but one assault trooper who decided to stick to more solid cover after being winged, then went in with the N7 Piranha to finish him off with one blast. I think one of the goofballs actually threw a grenade ... while I was outside and while the door was closed. Suuuuuper genius there, guys.

12. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    mass effect is by far my favorite series but for me it ended with shepard and thats how im going to leave it. as much as i love that universe i am not going to drop money on anything that says mass effect on it because the current trilogy is what is so special.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I feel similarly, but if the new game is well received and does enough to distance itself from the Shepard story I will give it a try. I'm happy for it to still have Krogan and Asari and Mass Relays and stuff, but I wouldn't want to see anyone from the main Trilogy in it.

I will see the Star Wars spin-off movies and the TV shows, they will show more of what is a wider universe and it could be interesting.

14. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I'll start speculating about ME4 when it actually starts coming together. Until then, it's off my radar.

15. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I think I finally hit my "sweet spot" deployment strategy for the end of the Cerberus Abductions mission - got James and EDI in positions where they stayed bunkered down with good fields of fire and didn't break cover to rejoin Shep. EDI was at the window overlooking the stairs and landing opposite of the civilians, James was behind a counter at the back of the building between the refugees and the landing pad, and Shep was shuttling back and forth between the doorways to EDI's right and left (left to shotgun troops coming down the ladder, right to snipe things in the courtyard and coming down from the landing pad ramp). James held his own quite well with fortification and an omnibayonet-equipped Graal, while EDI was laying down a torrent of fire with her Hurricane. Used the Indra for sniping and the Eviscerator as my shotty, which worked well. Actually took out two assault troopers in one shotgun blast and got some midrange one-shot kills.

16. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Finally got to ME2 with the new adept character and managed a nice bit of winsauce - taking down the YMIR mech on Freedom's Progress without resorting to heavy weapons. Used Miranda's overload and the piddling M-4 Shuriken to chew up its shields, joint warp attacks from Shep and Miranda combined with dinky M-3 Predator shots to eat up the armor, and then lifted it with a pull while cherry-tapping it to death with pistol fire.

17. Edwardstyn

Edwardstyn Jedi Knight star 1

May 15, 2005
  18. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Ouch. I take it getting a new Xbox 360 was out of the question? Never bothered with consoles myself; one I'm crap with game controllers and two I prefer to have one rig that serves all my work/entertainment needs.

Just finished Mordin and Garrus's recruitment missions in ME2 with the adept. Pulling Archangel's tail out of the fire was pretty brutal; the shutter sequence started out brilliantly but devolved into a nightmare on the second one, where I ran into that damned pyro and got roasted to within a hair of my pixelated life. If I wasn't wearing an N7 armor set with 18% bonus health that would have been all she wrote. The third shutter was also a slog, fighting through that cluttered room full of Vorcha, varren, and the occasional Krogan. Shockwave proved to be a godsend and I found myself wishing I'd taken Jacob instead of Mordin on the mission (Zaeed was upstairs covering Garrus). Then I almost got aced again while blockading the stairs on the penultimate wave of Blue Suns attackers; about the only things that saved me were pulling out my barrier bonus power and just piston-punching the crap out of two enemies that almost got me. Somehow managed the whole affair without actually dying ...

19. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I am having trouble importing my ME2 file into ME3. Apparently this is a common occurrence. What I don't get is, I was able to upload one character into ME3, but not another character which I had used to beat ME2 as well. Anybody have any idea what I could be doing wrong? Are there any other sites that can provide a great deal of insight into this?

Is there something wrong with my files for uploading from ME2? They all look the same across the board.

20. DarthCane

May 30, 2002

Generally you should be able to find something on the ME wiki (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki) or BSN (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/index). I haven't had issues on my PC with transferring files from ME2 to ME3, but I do have to run the save file configuration utility every time I take a new ME1 character into ME2.

21. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
  22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I know the rumblings are that "Mass Effect 4" (allegedly won't have the number 4) won't have anything to do with Sheperd. Which makes me wonder if it will be a series like Final Fantasy where each entry while carrying the name "Final Fantasy" only loosely, if at all has anything to do with any other installments.

I mean I don't see how they can go forward from Mass Effect 3 WITHOUT touching upon the outcome of Mass Effect 3, and personally I'm just sick of the concept of prequels, plus I don't think there's really a conflict in the lore prior to the events of Mass Effect that they could really base a game around.

And if it's a sequel they can't play the Atton Rand card like they did in KOTOR 2 where you can establish whether or not Revan was redeemed or not in the first game, it's not like the characters can plausibly be confused as to whether the reapers were destroyed, became controlled, or whether all life has become a synthesis of organic and synthetic components.

As much as some people may not like it, I feel like they should just pick a canonical ending (ideally the destroy ending) and go from there. It's not like they didn't ultimately pick a canonical fate for Revan, despite how players chose to play in KOTOR.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Bioware give us details for new ME game

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes, Bioware periodically checks these boards and they WILL get back to you.

25. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It could be set in another galaxy. Maybe the Reapers had their tentacles on a number of galaxies, each with it's own set of Mass Relays and a constructed Citadel?

Though I do think it's unlikely we'd have a game without humans in it. Plus, they've put a lot of effort into establishing the asari, turians, salarian, krogan, quarians etc.

The Catalyst did say that Synthesis was inevitable so every ending could lead to the same result if ME4 was set 100,000 years or so later, but I don't know if BW will want to touch that after the reaction.