main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's talk about sexism.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Nah everyone knows I'm fairly progressive. I just think you enjoy distinguishing yourself from everyone else because you consider everyone inferior. You have one massive superiority complex that shows up in every topic, regardless of which side you take. Whether it's Americans are inferior, neckbeards are inferior, union workers are inferior, christians are inferior, etc. It all boils down to the ender sai superiority complex.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If not holding the view that sexism is ok, I'm happy to wear that criticism Vivec though make no mistake, I am just better than you too. Plus more modest.

But your discomfort here is a little telling. It's certainly not as bad as a pitiful effort to reconcile your own insecurities about women to a facile argument that "sexism exists against men too, because I'm tall and have creepy, rapey eyes women feel scared."

Perfect springboard into this then:
    http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-an...ing-rape-as-a-plot-device-20130812-2rrwh.html

Have you noticed how rape for a female character, especially one so galling as to be intelligent and strong willed, is a rite of passage in fiction? A man can be savagely beaten, maybe even tortured. But that kind of violence, well, we're squeamish about a man beating up a woman in fiction. Let's instead get her raped. It's the same, right? It's edgy. It gives them a glimpse of what's over the cliff and motive to kick ass with? It's not like it has a massive psychological trauma associated with it. It's the same for a woman to get raped as it is for a man to get tied up, beaten and tortured. Right?

I look forward to hearing how a man got raped too once.

3. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Wait so you're saying torture doesn't have a massive psychological trauma associated with it? Or rape doesn't? Or that they both do but they have different ones, which is meaningful why?

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Months of torture may have damage but in fiction it's a beating, maybe a few moments of being tied to a chair and given the electric shock treatment before escaping and kicking seven flavours of **** out of the villain of the day. You don't see the levels of torture which would have a comparable level of psychological affect as rape. Moreover, they're psychologically difficult. Rape works off the physical domination of the rapist and the forced submission of the victim. The power play dynamics, coupled with the intense violation of the act, are such that it's inappropriate to use this as a narrative device because you are squeamish showing a woman getting the same beating as a man.

I'm surprised you need this explained to you, Suzuki, unless you're just uncomfortable with the idea?

5. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    You know just a little abduction, disorientation, binding and unrelenting agony, nbd. As long as it's only for weeks.

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  7. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Stress positions can do that.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, if a male character is beaten up, a female can be raped?

It is telling that neither of you will discuss the issue. I think you think it doesn't come across that you're tacitly in support of it.

Um.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Would it make it easier for you to understand if you put men aside, Suzuki? I think no woman would choose rape if the alternative was a beating.

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    lol keep thinking that

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have no idea wtf this thread is even about anymore.

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's about ender sai waving is **** around and flipping the bird at everyone.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He can do that at the same time? Impressive.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    jello edit: Yeah let's not actually post pictures of people flipping the bird, though.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  15. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    8 pages and all I got from it:

OP- Let's talk about sexism, seriously

JCC- Let's not

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I am hoping that is not in response to Zapdos' post.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Criticism of rape as a lazy, overused plot device that betrays warped attitudes toward women is not new and it's not incorrect. But I don't see why rape needs to be contrasted with a severe beating or non-sexual torture.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Obvious bait is obvious

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Who, Zapdos? I seriously doubt she was baiting you...

... unless you mean Ender. I have no idea wtf is going on anymore.

20. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah no me neither. i'll let ender do the talking

21. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Ender thinks that we should take some kind of stand against rape being depicted in movies, because it is 100,000 times worse than anything else in the human experience.

He's ok with sewing women's mouths to the anuses of others though.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't recall him talking about anus sewing.

23. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    So what is the root cause of sexism?

I still think the fallacy of biological determinism is the culprit. I used to work with a total sexist pig who was a partner in a small law firm. He was in his late 50s (would early 70s now) and he firmly subscribed to the 'biological determinism' concept such that he seemed to sincerely believe that women were just not biologically geared toward anything other than raising children and nurturing men. Having women parading around in suits pretending to be men was just a cultural perversion of simple biology. He acknowledged that some women were intellectually capable and in some cases were the intellectual equal to men, but biologically, they were 'hardwired' towards child rearing and nurturing. I don't think that view has changed much among older generations.

Nowadays, its seems that younger generations still subscribe to the biological determinism concept but in a less kind of 'child raising and nurturing way' and more in a 'women as a sexual object for the gratification of men' kind of way. Internet 'reality' pron has a lot to answer for.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm just going to point out - some of you dudes on here who I like as users and people, sometimesssss when you joke about this crap and take it too lightly, you really do come across supportive. Sometimes you need to know when to just not talk. Sorry if that pisses you nameless fellows off because I'm sure you dudes aren't actually sexist, but sometimesss your words + attitude that you think line up with your values don't actually match, and it's really noticeable to at the very least me and I'm sure others.

Rew, VanishingReality and Zapdos like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I mean Ender.