main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why isn't the EU going out with a Bang?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Okay as we all know the EU has a very high chance of being "rebooted" with the release of Episode VII. I mean Del Rey and Dark Horse should be creating stories to tie up loose ends.

Personally I would.
    -Release SotJ
    -Let Luceno write a "final" final novel for the big three with connections to Legacy
    -Finish and release 1313
    -Have Stover and Allston write more X-Wing books set though-out the post-ROTJ era.
    -Let JJM write more stries for Kerra
    -Let Stover write Imperial Commando 2
    -Etc...

mes520 and cdgodin like this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Because the EU isn't vanishing. It's changing to something the Disney market has faith in.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The people in charge of the EU are so resistant to the idea of a reboot that they'll likely make the continuity absolutely bizarre with the existing canon of novels set after Episode VI remaining in continuity despite having characters like the Solo twins and Anakin Solo but we just have to pretend they're different characters and so forth.

"In the end, my ongoing vision is that as long as there’s the Holocron, Star Wars will not reboot."

Dr. Steve Brule and Lady_Misty like this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Anakin was just off camera!

So was Amidala Skywalker, Ben's sister introduced in the movies!

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can see them employing a mixture of both -- character X was born in between Tyrant's Test and The New Rebellion and was hidden in the Maw and character Y was actually born in The Last Command and Jacen and Jaina were actually decoy children that the Solos employed to prevent their real child from being kidnapped by Thrawn!

Then they can commission Troy Denning or Sean Williams or Drew Karpyshyn to write a New Republic era novel featuring the birth of character X that's set between those two books and the next Essential Chronology can explain what happened.

So awesome.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Can we say away from the Disney Wars thread's territory and focus on how they should finish the EU (if they do). I don't want this thread to get locked because of that.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There's too many loose ends to tie up in the next year. The past six years of stories post-NJO have done nothing but create loose ends with very little resolution. Del Rey also has limited book slots -- I assume they have 7 left? They might want to repurpose Sword of the Jedi toward doing something for Episode VII under the premise that it will sell better.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Post SotJ series ends with a countinuity wipe to end Del Rey's publishing era / set the stage for Ep. 7!

aleja2 likes this.
  9. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Basically this. They don't want to scare off potential sales for remaining releases by saying so. That's why there's no build-up to or fanfare for a big send-off, because that would require admitting to a continuity wipe.

That, or they intend to continue on as they are, as others have mentioned above.

10. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    They should just combine SOTJ trilogy into one book. There is no way there is going to be 3 books at this point.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...another sex thread?

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There seems to be plenty of activity in the EU outside of Del Rey and Dark Horse. The recent bunch of starwars.com blog posts about various topics? The Death Star guide? Fantasy Flight Games? The Bounty Hunters' Guide?

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think Del Rey is in a position where they want to reserve the novel slots they have licensed out to see if they can do something to tie into the ST. Dark Horse doesn't seem to be reluctant.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Resistance movement, my friend. A useless one, granted, but I'm still part of it anyway.

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  16. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
  18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    I honestly believe that the term 'Reboot' is one of the most aptly misused statements that fandom has adopted.

What happens when you reboot, in an IT perspective? Ie: it goes through BIOS, system settings, etc... and comes back exactly the same / as it should be...

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's very accurate in the context that it's rebooting from a previous save with just the movies.

:)

20. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    My saved game includes Dark Forces, so how does that compute in your equation?

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Dark Forces isn't compatible with Holonet Vista.

Sorry.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  22. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    It is with Holonet ver 8.0, however, currently lacks a start option, so you are in an endless loop.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  23. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    They could do something similar to "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" and then go with the Disney continuity.

But not by Denning or co.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper.
    - T. S. Eliot

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Idg why everyone wants Stover to write IC2. He had nothing to do with the first one or the RC series, and the theme, tone, and style of those books are pretty drastically different from his usual writing. Has he ever even said anything about this series? It takes him like ten years to write a Star Wars book, IC2 isn't the one I'd pick for this decade.

Also I'd be fine with this if they finished the original conception of the game but they'd already ruined what it was going to be before it got canceled so no thank you.

DigitalMessiah likes this.