main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What's your favorite scene and lines of Palpatine/Darth Sidious in TPM?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Komodo9Joe, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    Here is a Youtube video of all Palpatine/ Darth Sidious scenes in TPM.

Please share your replies to these three things:

1) Your favorite scene(s).

2) Your favorite line(s).

3) Your thoughts on Palpatine's/ Darth Sidious' machinations throughout the film.

And any other thoughts you might have :).

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wipe them out...all of them

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "I don't want this stunted piece of slime in my sight again"

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    "I will make it legal."

It sounds like such an Emperor Palpatine line, the way it oozes self-confidence and anger at the same time.

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I like the scene where he comes in to tell Amidala the good news that he will be running for Chancellor. The slimy, two-faced weasel was never more punchable.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    And, as we find out later, right after he had just finished talking to Plagueis no less!

7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    1) Either Sidious' first transmission with Gunray, or Amidala's and Palaptine's conversation on the state of the Republic shortly after the main characters arrive on Coruscant. Both do wonderfully in introducing both sides of the character. Of course, when I say sides, they are essentially one in the same.

2) Probably "I will make it legal". It implies so much, and coming into the cinema the first time it isn't exactly obvious how he is doing this.

3) I find the TPM incarnation of Sidious one of the highlights of an underrated film. It perfectly sets up Palpatine's involvement (and machinations as you say) in the later episodes. The Seperatists making a pact with the devil that culminates in Sidious disposing of them in "hell" - Mustafar, at the end of the trilogy (and ironically where Anakin will also meet his demise, also after selling his soul). Amidala being manipulated into helping Sidious in his long term goal, albeit in a more subtle way than Anakin will repeat in ROTS. Maul, which most likely was part of Sidious' master plan, being taken out by the Jedi, to be replaced by a Sith (Dooku) that IMO Palpatine had less attachment to than Vader and Maul. The complexity in Palpatine's scheming that accounts for different outcomes, that of course pays of for him by the time the Empire rises. IMO it is both obvious and understated.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    I wanted to reply to your post earlier but I ran into some difficulty with my Sio Bibble thread so let me reply now. Nice comparison between hell and Mustafar. Perhaps it is fitting that the Separatists die there as their willingness to be ruled by the sin of greed ensures that they 'burn in hell.' Actually, you just gave me in idea on making a thread on the metaphorical representations of the planet;). I concur with your thoughts on TPM Sdious; TPM Sidious is in fact my favorite depiction of the character. As per your post on Sidious' mastery of contingency plans: yeah I agree. I always wonder to myself, as do many others, what outcomes Sidious initially wanted in TPM: that is if the treaty had been signed, Queen had been killed, TF still in power, Darth Maul alive, etc.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Every single scene.

10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The scene between Sidious and Maul on the balcony overlooking beautiful downtown Coruscant.

"I will make it legal"

I don't watch TPM often, but if I'm feeling adventurous I will always watch Sidious scenes.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    When he's on the goofy walking stool contraption.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I always thought the scene on his apartment balcony with Maul was fantastic.

SithStarSlayer and cwustudent like this.
  14. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2012
    "the public will be reorganized into the first galactic empire"

15. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2012
    didn't see the tmp in the thread title my favorite scene with him is the balcony scene

16. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The "knighting" of Darth Vader. Starting with the "UNLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMEEEETED POWWER" line.

I know a lot of people find that line overdone or corny, but I love it. This is Palpatine's most gleeful moment, not to mention the only time where we get a completely genuine look into his mind, where he's no longer speaking with a deceivers tongue, but is rather completely uninhibited, revealing his deepest desire..... unlimited power. That's it for him, isn't it? That's all there is, in his mind. Love, friendship, beauty... nope. Just power. And the moment he attains it is just as unabashedly gleeful for him as it is appalling to the audience.

Then, Ian McDiarmid steps up his creepiness to 11 with the help of some wicked sound editing, as his voice becomes supernatural, seemingly drawing upon some horrible ancient power, to declare his new apprentice. "The force is stroooong with you" he croaks, his demeanor reminiscent of a hound salivating over a meaty bone. It's a magnetic piece of acting. Finally, after going over plans to destroy the Jedi that you just know he's been waiting decades to give out, he sits down and declares "We shall have peace" with a smile that cements his persona as a conniving schemer.

That line always gets me thinking about what he's actually thinking. Does he genuinely believe his actions are leading to peace? Is he smiling because he knows the Jedi are bout to be destroyed? Or, more likely, is he smiling because, despite declaring peace under the guise of a politician, in reality he couldn't care less as long as he's in charge?

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought his burp talk in that scene was hilarious.

18. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    The one that immediately came to my mind was,
    "Wipe them out, all of them."

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Hiding in plain sight. Awesome.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  20. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I always liked the line

"not for a Sith"

and I wish they'd have kept the line

"you seem to be more scared of the Jedi than you are of me Dofine, I'm amused" while Force choking him.

21. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    EVERYTHING in the Battle of Mustafar

22. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    The Phantom Menace movie, not PT;)

23. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah, apologies about my post, my eyes kinda glazed over the fact that you were specifically talking about TPM.

TPM Palpatine is certainly an interesting beast. It's Palpatine the politician at his most subtle, and Sidious at his most overtly sinister (ROTS Sidious is rightfully more jubilant by comparison).

I think my favorite TPM Palpatine moment(s) is his manipulation of Padme. The scenes in her apartment and in the senate chambers are the scenes that make me believe this is a man who could deceive his way to being emperor. I love that Palpatine never actually lies to Padme; he's right to point out that the Republic is corrupt, he's right accuse Valorum of being an impotent leader.

Without that final shot of Palpatine at Qui Gons funeral (right after Yoda mentions the rule of two) I don't think any first time viewer of TPM would walk away from that movie thinking that Palpatine is anything other than a friendly politician, and that's just great villainy.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I love the scene where Supreme Chancellor Palpatine disembarks the Republic cruiser with the entire Jedi Council. The twelve strongest Jedi in the order, and they have no idea that the new Chancellor is their greatest enemy.

But the best scene with Palpatine is the parade at the end, where he smiles along with everyone else. Because he has the best reason to smile; he's already won. The Sith now control the Republic and soon the entire galaxy.

Palpatine doesn't have to fake a smile at the parade, he's got more reason to smile than anyone else.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He's faking, deep down he misses Maul.