main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    So it'll be one of the following...

1. Rehashing the original trilogy
    2. Rehashing a rehash of the prequel trilogy.

Good to know.

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Have to agree with you on both points. I love Mara's character, but she's been terribly poorly handled and was never given a role of her own. On that account, the desicion to finally kill her wasn't the worst. As for Luke as Jedi, there seems to have been utter confusion about what 'a Jedi' was until the PT - and when TPM came, it tumbled everything in its way. I tend to see the non aggressive stance from the early NJO as the linguering misunderstanding of the OT - but as the PT carries on, the reluctance to use the Force becomes more and more blatantly silly.

Most royals get a military education. I don't think it strange if Leia would too - and with her genes, she'd pick up fighter flying immedieately.

As for Luke, I can definitely see your points, but I don't think what happens in the comics is off either. And personally I think it adds an interesting twist to see him fall for Prithi. I much, much prefer to see him portrayed a tad too roguish than muffled. After all, the first trait he's given in the novelisation of ANH is that he makes quick desiscions. So I much rather read about him making some wrong ones and learning from them, than seeing him stnad back and being unable to act.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    DigitalMessiah, actually I was hoping they don't rehash anything from the LotF era

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    kataja, can't fairly judge the comic myself since I haven't read it. But going with your opinions and ChildOfWinds, it doesn't strike me as out of character for Luke to hit two birds with one stone so to speak when it comes to Prithi. He's a teenager after all :p Luke's love interests before Leia at this point was a crush on Camie. Now I don't expect him to shirk his responsibilities due to his relationship but I see no issue with balancing both.

kataja likes this.
  5. kataja

May 4, 2007
    And this is pretty much what he's trying to do - albeit in a clumsy and thoughtless manner that doesn't work out at all. Actually, I think the scene is very Luke - he doesn't still quite understand whay military is, he isn't used to work under time pressure and in a team but still thinks that as long as he gets the vaporators cleaned, it doesn't quite matter how and when and what else he might get done meanwhile. Considering his background this would really be lessons he'd have to learn.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You can't expect the general audience to read an EU novel or watch an animation series. It would be easier to just give him an alive wife (who is hopefully interesting and sympathetic) and be done with it. If she is the Luke-foil type she can even be named Mara.

I don't think we'll get a spinoff involving Luke because recasting is yucky.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I honestly don't expect them to rehash anything from the Expanded Universe, good or bad. I think Jacen's character arc is awesome but I don't even see how it could work in a film trilogy, for instance. The NJO took advantage of the medium to do stuff that films can't do.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How so? Most of NJO was action shlock that can easily be put on screen. I think the only novel that wouldn't work is Traitor because it is basically 90% internal monologue.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    kataja, makes sense to me. He's going to be a little new to things but I expect him to start maturing to where he was at ESB
    Gradually.
    Darth_Pevra, supposedly there's going to be a young Han Solo spinoff, so if they so recast the Big 3 during their younger years I hope they do it right.

DigitalMessiah, something like NJO would work as an animated series. Although I'm not sold on the Vong or the OOC moments but the idea of Luke's Order facing a big challenge could work out

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    OOC? The NJO is heavily predicated upon a philosophical dispute about the Force that is resolved through phenomenological means and direct insight, most specifically when Jacen has a moment of numinosity at the climax of the series. That moment alone can't be depicted on screen.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I doubt a Han spinoff would feature Luke. He was only a farmboy on Tatooine after all.

But you know what would be cool too? An animated Luke movie.

kataja likes this.
  12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Luke not doing much or presented as not doing much early on in the war is pretty much textbook OOC. This is a character who got involved in the war effort cause someone was in trouble, that was all the reason he needed.He doesn't have to be portrayed on the offensive due to his questions of the Vong's lack of Force presence. He can help rescue refugees as seen in Invasion. But sadly we didn't see that in the book series til halfway through the war

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Darth_Pevra, actually I was thinking if the Han Solo spinoff was successful they might do some films with Luke building the Jedi Order. And yes an animated movie with Luke would be great, follow by a series

kataja likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And even then: While Luke is a compassionate man, he is more of a warrior with the skillset of a warrior. Therefore I'd expect him to fight at the frontline rather than stay back and help refugees. In the OT he flew an X-wing rather than say, help the remaining Alderaanians.

aleja2, MasterSkywalker86 and kataja like this.
  15. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Why would it be easier? No matter what they do, there will be a story to tell. A living wife steals screentime - a dead can be dealt with by a single screencap where Luke regards a holo.

For my sake, I can't imagine they won't go back and tell the story in between the OT and the ST. The Big Three has made money for Lucas since 1977 - why would Disney miss the opportunity. And yeah, recasting is yucky - which is why they won't do it for the ST but will thrive on the goodwill they'll get by casting the original actors. But once that's over - and people will be dying to learn what happened in between - the worst pressure will be over. Everyone can understand why Hamill, Fisher and Ford can't be casted as 20 year olds.

They used the EU already for the PT, I see no reason why they wouldn't pluck stuff now too. The big question to me is, how much of the EU they will use? Will they leave the 4 - 47 ABY era unmentionned. There's no doubt Chewie will be alive - but will Jaina be there - and Ben?

16. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I agree completely!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Because you need to somehow fight back the feeling of disappointment that I and others would likely have.

I as a fan want to know who Luke married. I want to know her, this exceptional person. Maybe some fans here are content with Mara. But keep in mind that many fans don't know Mara Jade.

The easy solution: Make an animated series that tells the events between the OT and the ST.

aleja2, kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i don't see it as an improvement persay, butn it offers a unique perspective counter to what we see in the JAT. i hate the Corran luke duel as well

19. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Exactly. And that want, sells films. Or TV-series... Or new books.

That's a possibility too, Pretty big possibility, actually. There's no doubt TCW was the beginning of something new. Plus the animation became better and more character oriented over time.

Agreed!

Agreed again!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

i hear you,but take away some lame Luke moments and the book is great.

21. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Which of the books? The JATs or I, Jedi?

22. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Survivor's Quest proves that one can have an effective, in character, and entertaining married Luke and Mara. Each with their own character arc even (Luke dealing with being the last survivor of the Old Republic Jedi and how the discovery of Outbound Flight might negate or validate the decisions he made so far; Mara dealing with her survivor's guilt as a former Imperial agent who lived when so many others rightfully died). And together, proving how they complement and strengthen one another (Luke's caring optimism vs. Mara's hard-nosed pragmatism), and create a formidable team.

In the NJO and aftermath Mara sucked. But I blame the writers for it. It's the happily married character syndrome, usually most visible in comic books and long-running TV series but also on display here. Married characters are apparently boring, and also apparently do not appeal to teenage boys. This is especially true of wives because, y'know, apparently they have girl cooties that activate upon marriage. So no matter how strong, independent and intelligent the female characters were when they were single, once married they must become decorative bits of fluff whose main reason for existence is to sit around and worry about the menfolk, and then welcome said men home with double entendre. Pushing out babies is a strong second choice.

Happily married character syndrome also affected Leia for most of the EU.

I disagree that Han and Leia's relationship was changed in the NJO. It's more like: Oh no, Chewbacca's DEAD! Han goes drinking. Han stops drinking, Han and Leia run various errands in the Millennium Falcon with no apparent lasting aftereffect. Oh no, Anakin's DEAD! Han and Leia grieve for a few hundred pages, Han and Leia put the grief behind them because, y'know, war, Han and Leia run various errands in the Millennium Falcon with no apparent lasting aftereffect. Their relationship at the end of the NJO is basically the same as it was at the end of VotF. Even the loss of a best friend and son don't really seem to faze them. But then, the entire Vong war doesn't seem to faze anyone near as much as a war that devastating would have. The entire GFFA should be on the equivalent of Prozac at the least, and under strict medical attention for PTSD.

I am purely speculating here, and admittedly reading between the lines of various Del Rey powers-that-be interviews, so take this with a huge grain of salt: But I really think Del Rey was contemptuous of the Bantam books, thought they could do much better, and the last thing they were going to do was to elevate or further develop characters who were breakout successes under Bantam. Thanks to the marriage, Mara had to be included in the story until inevitably killed off (I was really expecting her to go during the NJO, I'm surprised they waited so long), Corran is mostly sidelined (and how does a guy who can absorb energy lose his fingers to a blaster bolt?!?), Karrde disappears, Booster and Mirax mostly disappear, Kyp is written all over the place and acts mostly as an example of what NOT to do, etc.

So there was no way Del Rey was ever going to spend time developing any Bantam original character. (I think they thought the Solo kids counted as theirs, because they got them as young adults). Of course, they did a pretty lousy job of developing any new characters to replace them, and their handling of the film characters was pretty lousy as well.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've reached the burnout point of debating the same things over and over. I don't see much a point of viewing Del Rey as a single entity, though, because there's clearly different decision-makers now than there were fifteen years ago when they were planning the NJO, and back then there was more than one person.

24. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    I don't remember this, mind refreshing my memory?

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Lets just agree to disagree then, for some of us Bantam was a golden age and introduce the EU(although there are some downright stupid stuff) but it didn't come off as pessimistic/dark....just bizarre. Del-Rey wanted to establish cohesiveness and realism into the GFFA but the execution was not great to be conservative, and the overall direction has veered from it's course. Although I have no idea what their destination was.
    Series books with Luke have been made into an endurance test for me. Ironically Del-Rey has potential with single book stories with Luke, Mindor and SQ were great reads.

ChildOfWinds and aleja2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.