main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Future additions to the movies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 4, 2013.

1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    So we all know that Lucas cannot really tamper with his movies anymore since Disney now owns them.
    Do you think Disney have any interest in added or subtracting from the trilogies?
    The thing is, for the most part, I like the new CGI scenes spliced into the movies. I've become addicted to wanting to see alterations to the classic and prequel trilogies.

I don't want them to be left alone!:)
    I look forward to getting a new release and seeing what things have been changed and improved upon.

I would love to see Palpatine disband the senate in episode 4 for instance. lol
    I'd like to see Jar jar in the cantina,
    and I'd love to see a CGI created Alec Guinness VS Darth Vader fight spliced into the original live action footage that takes place on board the Death Star.

While I believe Disney will eventually release the original unaltered versions of the movies - and I'm happy for the fans that want those, I personally want to see the movies undergo the cutting knife once again.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Given Lucas' antagonism against corporations altering the artist's work (including his speech before Congress), I suspect part of the deal is Disney is unable to alter the films any further. I also don't know about them releasing the originals.

darth ladnar likes this.
  3. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'd love to see a little redone texture work in Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, kind of like how CG Jabba was touched up between 1997 and 2004. There are a few moments on blu-ray, especially with AOTC's super-sharp digital cinematography, where some of the CG elements are looking pretty jokey.

Also, just a pipe dream, but I would love for them to get Hayden back in costume to reshoot his ghost appearance at the end of ROTJ. I love the idea conceptually, but the way they obviously just inserted generic stock footage of him into the shot seemed kind of lazy. At least Sebastian Shaw looked like he fit with the other two characters.

Oh, and one final pipe dream: rewrite the TPM opening crawl. I can't stress enough how badly "the taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute" just puts me to sleep every time I read it. There has to be a way to set up the story in a more exciting fashion.

SlashMan, kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Update quality for the OT

5. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007

I hate seeing Haden in ROTJ. Its the only scene that has been added to the sega that I have a problem with. That and greedo shooting first of course.:p But that's more of an edit.

Palpatine looks to similar to how he looked in ROTS in TESB as well. The actor clearly put on a bit of weight between filming EP 2&3 and his face is too chubby.
    For 20 years he looks the same, then in ROTJ he ages really badly and loses a lot of weight. Must have been a tough couple of years.

TX-20 likes this.
  6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I want to see Yoda changed to CGI in the OT, and to doing a lightsaber training scene with Luke.

I want the claymation Rancor in ROTJ changed to realistic looking CGI.

I want all the deleted scenes (that have been shown as extras) put back in the movies

7. Grevie

Grevie Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2005
    That's a good point. And they could still do it without altering GL's Vision since he invisioned the scenes in the first place. Most importantly I want to see the Delegation of 2000 scenes, that would create a totally new sub-plot for ROTS, making it more about the beginnings of the rebellion rather than just purely about Anakin's transformation to Vader.

Plus, of course, the cave scene from ROTJ...

Other alterations I'd like to see:
    - Imperial March in ANH
    - better holographic Images for the OT in general
    - faster cuts or additional footage (stunt people, hello?) for the Ben/Vader Fight in ANH
    and sooo much more... I really enjoy the movies as a whole and the only thing not letting them flow together neatly are the graphical differences over the years...

I guess it will never happen, though...

kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hopefully, none.

vinsanity and kubricklynch like this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just because Disney owns them (although they can't distribute them until 2020), doesn't mean he can't change them anymore. Most studios let the directors oversee home media transfers, and Disney is no different.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Thankfully it also means they can say no to additional changes.

Lucas: "But I always meant for Yoda to be completely digital!"
    Iger: "Security"

vinsanity and Sarge like this.
  11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    CGI Yoda in the OT. The puppet SUCKS compared to the PT Yoda!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They can, but I hardly believe they will (thankfully).

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    THANK YOU!

darth_mccartney likes this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    So wishing I could use the ban hammer on the pair of you for that particular opinion - can't you include some foul language or personal insults?;)

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Now you know how we feel when people advocate using no CGI for the ST and returning to puppetry. Makes us mad! :p

klooney likes this.
  16. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I want to see them insert the scene where Luke meets with Biggs and co. in ANH. It would add an emotional layer to Biggs' death and it makes a whole lot more sense than the redundant Jabba scene.

17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    ^I agree that more Biggs was needed in ANH, but for me, the additional hangar scene established the longtime friendship between Luke and Biggs without drastically changing the pace of the movie. Speaking of which, deleted scenes in general were deleted with purpose, but with some, the editors were really on the fence about (these are usually the ones included as DVD extras). Though the original opening to ROTJ would be interesting to see re-incorporated.

Also, I have no problem with new changes, but the reasoning needs to be sufficient. Lucas got most of his major ideas out of the way in the original Special Editions. Any future additions should only go to making those look more natural, or tweaking errors.

18. -Jedi Joe-

May 6, 2013
    ^ Yeah. I always thought the Biggs scene at the beginning would be a nice contrast to the R2 and C3PO journey, and that selling the droids would be the scene that would tie both ends up. I'd have to see the scene in the big picture, though.

Another change I would like to see: More lightsaber colors in AotC and RotS. I know the game "Jedi Power Battles" isn't canon, but I loved how Plo Koon had a yellow saber, and it was disappointing to see him with a blue one in the films. There could be more yellow, orange, silver, and maybe some purple blades in the Geonosian scenes,

19. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    They can make the additions they want, as long if they release the OOT aswell

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    If I got my hands on Star Wars, I would release two DVD/Blu-ray box sets. The first one as an Extended Edition/Collectors bx set with all the deleted scenes put in where it is canonically possible, all puppets changed to CGI, and maybe taking unfinished footage, fixing it up and putting it in to stretch the OT to 2 & a half hour length films and the PT to 3 hour length films. This set would include ALL the special features ever released plus a new "looking back" doc for each film with new interviews with George Lucas, producers, cast, crew, and famous positive fans of the films.

The second would be the original unedited theatrical releases of all six films (I know even the PT got changes/additional scenes when it went to DVD), with only exceptions where it messes with canon (ie, keeping Hayden instead of Shaw in ROTJ). No extras, just the films.

In both case, they will be complete sets, not separated by trilogy.

-Jedi Joe- and darth_mccartney like this.
  21. -Jedi Joe-

May 6, 2013
    Personally I would release an ultimate box set for each trilogy, each of them being 7 discs.

PT:
    - Episodes I, II, and III 2011 Blu-Rays
    - Episodes I, II, and III 3D Blu-Rays (They finished AotC and I'm certain RotS is done too, so might as well put them to good use.)
    - One disc dedicated to documentaries and deleted scenes (including the ones from the DVD releases).

OT:
    - Episodes IV, V, and VI 2011 Blu-Rays
    - Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi cleaned-up theatrical releases on Blu-Ray.
    - One or disc dedicated to documentaries and deleted scenes.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I do like the idea of having PT 3D+Regular and having OT Theatrical+Regular. But I don't think one bonus disc per trilogy is NEAR enough. We really need a fully comprehensive bonus disc set!

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Which they probably won't.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Missing Episode I (theatrical and DVD cuts) and Episode II (DVD cut).

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I guess I could say that I'm perfectly happy with the blu-ray versions as they are. The ONLY thing I wish was done that wasn't, was fixing ALL-and I MEAN ALL-of the lightsaber effects. I suppose they did do some things to Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon in ANH, and a few things in the duel in ROTJ, but they clearly only enhanced the effects in a few shots. If nothing else, just having the lightsabers look consistent throughout ALL of the episodes-hell, even if Vader's pink blade is made crimson (like everywhere else) and that's all they do, I would be happy.

I would've also liked them to change the ANH death star plans, and various control panel details, but that wasn't such a big deal to me I guess.

I don't know if that is something that will even be possible now. I suppose that ship has passed...