main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Bantam sure doesn't sound like a golden age in this thread since I've seen mostly a desire to have most of it tossed out.

People really don't sound all that happy with anything save a select few novels, TBH.

2. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Counting TTT and the X-Wing series alone, you have thirteen novels. That's hardly "a select few". Throw in personal favorites and you'll likely hit twenty per person at the least.

MasterSkywalker86 and aleja2 like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Luke isn't in the X-Wing series besides one cameo.

4. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Beg pardon, too many tabs open, missed which thread I was in.

5. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005

Shelly Shapiro is still at Del Rey, and still directing the post-ROTJ Star Wars line. Denning continues to be hired. I don't think there's been as much change as you suggest.

On the other hand, Rostoni and Wilson have retired from Lucasfilm. And I do feel a disturbance - for the positive - since the hiring of Jennifer Heddle.

No pressure, Jen! :p

In Apocalypse, page 325. "Corran had lost two fingers to a stray blaster bolt." :rolleyes:

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    But what influence did Shapiro or Denning have on the NJO? I know Denning had none. He went out of his way to erase it. I'd assume that's true of Shapiro -- or that she didn't like what other people involved did with the series -- since she allowed this.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Luke obviously has to turn to the dark side and be the Big Bad of the sequel trilogy. It was foreshadowed.
    [​IMG]

It is inevitable.

HWK-290 and Zeta1127 like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I would like to see Luke develop his own personal philosophy for the Jedi order. I would also like to see him train Jedi and then step down to become one council member of many instead of dictator/grand master. I would like to see how he first struggles with this because of some quarrel with another Jedi - but then learns the lesson of trusting his fellow Jedi and accepting that their voice is as important as his own. Freedom of speech and democracy instead of dictatorship and dogmatism. Maybe the order even becomes more decentralized than the old one.

10. aleja2

Aug 4, 2005

Denning was part of the NJO planning committee. He was writing one of the five hardbacks that formed the core of the NJO (the original idea being that casual readers would only need to read the five hardbacks to get a complete overall story) so he was very much involved.

And I don't think Denning consciously went out of his way to erase the NJO. I think he had a KEWL story in his head and didn't really care how many hoops he had to force characters to awkwardly jump to get to it. Character continuity just isn't a thing in RPG. You start over basically from scratch. All that matters are the experience points gained. Vergere is now a Sith, so what? It's a different game campaign. And she needs to be a Sith to make the campaign work. No hard feelings, Vergere (and Stover), that's just the way the die rolls.

And this is why Luke (<--- getting back on topic ;)) flip flops so much in the Denning Rey universe. It doesn't really matter what Luke experienced in the previous books - what matters is that he hits all the quest check-in points on the way to the end goal. The emotional machinations necessary to get him to those check-in points aren't important, and don't carry over.

11. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Jk ;)

12. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    You either die a Jedi, or you live long enough to see yourself become the Sith.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    aleja2
    No he wasn't. The only authors involved for shaping the outline of the series and its bible were Stackpole and Luceno, along with Stradley, Wilson, Rostoni, and Shapiro.

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Meh. If any Skywalker is to fall, it is Leia. All that righteous anger...

aleja2 likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I rather resent that depiction of RPGs. I think Denning has a very consistent view of what *HE* wants and that is just what he chooses to write.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    DigitalMessiah, like I said some of us felt its pros outweigh its cons in comparison to Del-Rey. With the end of VotF we had Luke fully powered with his wife and the starts of new life, direction, and NJO. A bright and hopeful future. With Apocalyspe we more or less had a bleak future to look at, and the start of the next series of books.

Charlemagne19, probably the cliche answer but I want to see Luke restore the Jedi order, grow in power, and meet his wife. I want to see how would they tell that story in comparison to what we know. Also it would be great to actually "see" it than read about it if they go the tv route.

aleja2 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    People seemed unhappy that Vision of the Future led to Luke toning down his use of the Force in this thread.

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    That's soooo 2008 :p

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    provided I didn't like the Zahn idea on the Force, I prefer that alternative than Denning straight up handicapping him

aleja2 likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I very much agree with that. I want to see the Jedi order get restored as the central focus of the "New EU." Tackle the question of the Old vs. the New head on.

aleja2 likes this.
  21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I agree too. Love better be shown as one of the greatest ways to fight the DS with the NJO. Considering it's what destroyed the Sith in the last movie.

22. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Well, Dark Knight Rises was too lame to quote, so cut me some slack.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Luke on donning his father's attire.
    Luke:"No one cared who I was before I put on the mask."

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    "Aren't you a little short for a Vader?"

25. aleja2

Aug 4, 2005

Denning was at at least one planning meeting at Skywalker Ranch. Luceno himself says that the outline was a blueprint only, and that by the end of the series they probably had too many voices involved.

As for what I hope happens to Luke in v.2: I'd like him for his accomplishments in the OT to remain the backbone of his character. I'd like for him to remain committed to right over might, love over hate, faith over empirical evidence ("Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer!") I'd like for his center and his grounding forces to remain his family and friends. I'd like his heart to continue being bigger than his head. I'm sure Luke would grow more cynical and jaded as he aged - we all do - but the one thing I think some of the EU books got right is that Luke remained optimistic, caring and open no matter how bad things became.

I don't see Luke becoming a mystical, implied celibate hermit ala Ben and Yoda (and to be honest, I doubt Obi-Wan ever envisioned such a thing for himself when he was younger. Maybe by age 900 Yoda was ready for it). Luke cares too much about family, places too much emphasis on love. I do think he would marry and have children, realizing - if he ever does learn about the prior Jedi prohibition on attachment - that the absence of family was a failure, not a blessing. Perhaps that's why Kenobi thought the only possible victory would be if Luke killed Vader - because Kenobi was, presumably, raised from a very young age by the Jedi and blood family was a vague abstract notion to him. But Luke had his aunt and uncle, Luke yearned to know more about his parents - of course Luke would want to redeem his father.

I don't see Luke falling to the dark side. Been there, done that, got the Force lightning scars. I do see him struggling to keep others off that path, and maybe he fails, because no one can control another's destiny. But I don't see him ever giving up, never stopping to try, always keeping faith even when it is sorely tested. And maybe others - darker, more cynical, more opportunistic - will take advantage of that. However, I really do hope that Luke, Leia, and Han don't end up in a crapsack universe (like the current EU). I hope they were able to reap the rewards of their heroism and sacrifices, and that we see that their choices mattered and made a lasting impact.

And for that reason, I'm hoping that the ST use the OT characters are cameos only, and focuses on new characters whose arcs will be fresh to us.

And if there is an EU v.2 that fills in the stories between the OT and ST: I'd love to keep The Thrawn Trilogy, but have the storyline deviate from that point on. How or where, I don't know, just...different [face_laugh]

Editing to add
    But it's not inaccurate. I've never had to worry about the character's feels, just the character's experience points. A game campaign is all about getting from A to B to C. It's all externally motivated. Internal motivation doesn't really exist.

I agree that Denning chooses to write what he wants and damn the torpedoes (or what happened previously).

ChildOfWinds and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.