main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Seventeen years ago. We're talking about the NJO though, where in his Dark Tide duology all the politicians are insecure, human-hating aliens.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Pellaeon isen't neither are Borrsk or Leia[face_dunno]

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Pellaeon is a politician? I guess Jag was speciesist after all.

Leia is no longer a politician in the NJO. She's retired.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's not cynicism, that's a caricature!

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He is a head of state.

Well he is without doubt arrogant as hell.

Someone should have told the Agamarian Council or the New Republic for that matter, as they keep inviting her to diplomatic conferences. [face_whistling]

6. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    And here... we... go!

Agreed.
    Doho.
    Dohoho.
    What is a duology?
    Have never had treacle, let alone frozen.
    Dohohoho.
    Yes. Yes, he is.
    I'm going to take this statement come the Balance Point discussion, rip it to shreds, incinerate what's left, and scatter the ashes across TFN.
    I wish she was bland. Half the time I find her as annoying and irritating as others find Jacen.
    Innuendo, part 1! Why are you not dead, Skywalker? How dare you not die!
    Innuendo, part 2! Damn you, Shysa, Isolder.
    Agreed.
    In Exterminatus Extremis
    I almost took the bait.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can't quote that. Do the Jacen thing -- we're on Balance Point. The reason Anakin is in it too much is because Stackpole said he thought if he made Anakin the focal character they would decide not to have him die. Turns out it just pissed off fans more.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, it isn't done yet. You could always, oh I don't know, read the opening post instead?

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Guilty. :D

Hey, I spent all of two minutes writing that post, it's not like I thought everything through. And I haven't even started Balance Point yet. :p I didn't even realize the innuendo until you brought it up.

I could try to be more harsh in my criticism in the future, if you guys want. I can turn into the GGrievous of the NJO. But I'm not sure that would make this thread as fun as if I were to just present a balanced point of view (hey hey!) and let you all provide the color. After all, I'm not the one arguing about politicians and Stackpole's writing style, am I?

10. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    It would probably be quicker to actually read the NJO ;)

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Rubbish, quit being so lazy and get to it, it's only a few paragraphs.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  13. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    His death pissed off fans, not his screentime. If Disney closes Lucasbooks the editors can try at Marvel or DC. They have mastered the skills to screw up characters to follow nonsensical plots and how to slowly lose all your readers. So they are perfect for the big 2.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    But would it have if he had no screen time?

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    DC, they are perfect for DC who have decreed heroes must have miserable personal lives - a perfect fit!

16. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    He was Han´s and Leia´s child. People would have complained first of him getting not enough screentime (think Jaina LotF) and then of him getting killed. They put themselves in a lose-lose situation the moment they decided he had to die. Then added insult to injury by having Chewie die for him.

17. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    Where was that? I´ve seen it around but haven´t found the source.

I have the theory Bob Harras was infiltrated by Marvel to sink DC. Can´t think of another reason to go 90s with all their series.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Dan Didio at the weekend's Baltimore con - it's easy to find online but to save time:

Suffice to say, I disagree point blank.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    STAR PEACE!

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, have a good-looking but tomboy Jedi Knight assigned to investigate undercover a galactic beauty pageant, throw in evil villain. Michael Caine cameo and female empowerment message and you're all set.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    With a Scooby Doo ending.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm calling it now - Old Man C'Boath....

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  23. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    I need the double facepalm meme.

At least explains why Batgirl´s series is getting more and more depressing. It does fit with the tendency I´ve seen these latest decade though, being a hero just sucks, your enemies always come back, you slowly lose everybody you care about, your personal life is a disaster, and you´ll get killed and/or go DS in some event or another.You can talk about Marvel, DC, or the Denning verse.

I really hope Disney doesn´t go this route with ST, but Tron Legacy doesn´t make me optimistic.

24. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    This idea that personal happiness and heroism are mutually exclusive is the most asinine mindset in the comic book industry these days. This is the sort of thinking that resulted in One More Day.

Dear authors of all mediums: you must have something worth sacrificing in order to sacrifice it. The drama resulting therefrom lacks any meaningful impact if the hero is already living in relative squalor and misery because you won't let up.

Dear authors of all mediums: sacrifice is not the most important quality of the Hero, altruism is.

Jedi Ben, Rew and aleja2 like this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can see why comics of all media fall into the mindset. Storytelling is conflict. In comics, the conflict can never end.