main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's talk about sexism.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Sep 7, 2013.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Can you imagine ender's ego with the self assuredness of faith added? *shudders*

MrZAP and Obi-Zahn Kenobi like this.
  3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah the goatse line was not serious at all.

FTR I pretty much agree with Ender on just about all his posts in this thread. You dudes trying to argue doing the lol@ Ender is...well...really immature. Did you know that there are other ways to disagree with someone besides teasing them like we're in 4th grade?

Ender Sai and VanishingReality like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Intellectual Arlol?

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That's an oxymoron if I ever saw one. :p

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Anyways, there is actually some real news out there on this topic so I am going to link to an article that discusses some of it. The name of the App created includes a banned word on the JCC so mods if this is over the line please delete the link. It is real news though and very on topic.

TechCrunch apologizes for App presentation

Basically two guys created an App to allow guys to look at women's breasts because the science says "looking at breasts was directly linked with having a good healthy heart, but woman just aren't that warm to it".

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He put the "moron" in "oxymoron".

Lord Vivec likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, actually -- my point on that was to talk about employers in general, where efficiency is a matter of bottom line and not much else. Basically, I was arguing that I don't see it as a good enough reason. I'm not terribly qualified to talk about specifics regarding the military, but it seems EF has that argument well in hand anyway.

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    That's enough from you, OZK.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Edit: never mind.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh, I don't disagree with him on really anything regarding the thread topic. It's just his constant "I'm superior to everyone on everything" schtick is the most annoying one here.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, his head is in the right place, but he could definitely tone down the aggressiveness. I agree with him on several topics, a lot of the time, but he has a really confrontational and abrasive way of getting his point across, which makes his arguments ineffective a lot of the time. Nobody wants to listen to douche (not calling him a douche, just saying his posts come across as douchey, sometimes).

13. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I think they're very funny.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course, I'm not sure if that's modesty or immense ego on his part...

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Fear will keep the local Enders in line. Fear of this GrandAdmiralJello.

16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I wasn't going to participate in this conversation as I didn't think I had much (anything) worthwhile to add. But reading the last bit about the military kinda reminded me that women are now serving on submarines (since 2010!) and are doing perfectly well. But I remember the reaction on a discussion forum to an article that came out a while ago about the first women to earn their gold dolphins. The forum was made up almost exclusively of retired submariners, mostly enlisted. Although there were none of the comments were offensive on their face (i.e. they weren't calling women names or making sexually suggestive remarks), the overwhelming reaction was disappointingly negative. I'd say it was probably 80% against women in submarines. The voices that spoke up in favor of integration were encouraging, but the list of ridiculous arguments opposing the decision was depressing.

On the upside, when the subject comes up among junior sailors (guys under 30 or so), they seem completely unperturbed by the notion of working alongside and for female officers. In fact, most of the young Sailors are interested in why we don't have enlisted females yet. (If you're interested, the sub force is working on the logistics to make that happen in the next 5 yrs).

17. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    meh being in a single-sex environment has its advantages...

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Some West African frogs have been known to change sex from male to female in a single sex environment.

19. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Being in prison also has its advantages. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Barriss_Coffee and Juliet316 like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    For some people, it might be.

21. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Being on a planet where apes evolve from men has its advantages too.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Good grief. Reading the last few pages. I'm actually sorry I helped derail the thing. At least foreskin was left out.

And for the record I can totally out drive all of you, male or female.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Vivec, I am superior to you but honestly, that's not hard. You wear a fedora and don't understand politics or economics! :p But serious time now: let's just for a second abandon one of your favourite pieces of armour, the codpiece of (self-)righteous indignation. Prior to my arriving in this thread, your behavior was already tacitly in support of sexism whether you intended it or not. Your second post, after an offhand remark about stripping, was to say "So men can make their own sexism thread?". You edited to soften the blow a bit, but to translate, it's a bit "lol, a woman with an opinion" and "I don't like where this is going, better derail it quickly". Nothing in your contributions since have indicated you even take the matter seriously, since you were making snide and flaccid remarks with every post.

Instead of even again addressing systemic issues with gender discrimination, you want to focus on me as if a) that won't just make it worse and b) in doing so, you can steer the conversation in another direction from one about sexism. All you are doing is refusing to deal with the topic at hand, which is what you've done from the outset.

So far, I think we can take from this you are quite happy to continue to benefit from the institutionalised bias in favour of your gender but you lack the balls to admit it. Good-o!

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Not taking a JCC thread seriously = supporting sexism. Considering the OP of this thread (no offense SLG) is a master at not taking threads seriously and derailing threads. But go ahead. Try to construct me as a sexist. Everyone here knows better. No one is going to believe the most toxic JCCer's caricature of other JCCers.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.