main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What Impact does Disney have on Future EU Literature?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by phatdude1138, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I apologize upfront if this is the wrong place to pose this question, but I figure this would be a good place to start.

What Impact does Disney have on Future EU Literature?

Does this effect Del Rey, Dark Horse, Scholastic, etc.? Will the writers have any restrictions? Or is it business as usual?

Please discuss Episode VII and its potential impact on the EU HERE.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Basically, we don't know, and won't know for quite some time, I imagine.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Hopefully Disney won't frak with the EU too much.

5. Anakin Solo Reborn

Anakin Solo Reborn Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2013
    It sounds like the new trilogy is not going to follow the EU. Meaning the EU will no longer be cannon most likely. It will turn in to AU(Alternate Universe). I hope they still continue to make books that follow the books time line. It would be a shame to stop now with all the work that has been put into the books. My hope is that they at least continue to the time that the Legacy comics take place. As for the movies, even if they don't use the stories the books have put out I hope they still use the characters such as Mara Jade, Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina and all the other greats of the EU.

6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Incorrect. The new movies won't be canon.

They are J.J. Abrams fanon.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why does Abrams' movie get relegated to fanon? Cuz he didn't get there first?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    It's not G-level canon.

Perhaps J-level? J comes after G, and G has greater precedence.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Since Detours got shelved they can reclaim the D-level canon status!

10. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I wish people would stop stating the EU as a whole becomes AU. If the new films are all post Episode 6/RotJ, then at worst the post-RotJ EU is AU. Not even none canon. Just another equally relevant universe, with at least 70% of the EU still wholly relevant to both.

Until they do a pre-prequel film or several, and sure, they may in the long run, then the new films shouldn't do anything to touch the Old Republic, Clone Wars, Dark Times or Rebellion era. Most of our favourite characters (Mara, Kyle, Corran, ect, ect) all have stories or appear in stories set prior to RotJ, and thus are still 'alive' in whatever new timeline J creates.

And this is even if you consider his films canon, as noted above. Sure, he is responsible for taking the films forwards, and barring a horrific botch job i'll be considering his films canon, but the fact is this is a lot like if Tolkien had sold rights to his universe, and someone else wrote the sequel to Lord of the Rings. A lot of purists would be well within their rights to disregard the new stories. I love the new Star Trek films and think he is a talented director, with the budget of Disney behind him, and we have had the Marvel films which come from Disney. So, I have enthusiasm and hope. But I still acknowledge that this is no longer the story of one man, expanded upon. Its now become a franchise in truth, and its probably going to get messy.

Being completely honest - I'm not sure if Disney will keep the written EU going. Games, movies and TV shows? Sure. The occasional comic? Likely. But I can't think of any major Disney-owned franchises with a serious book series connected to it. They will probably keep the already written stuff in publication, as its pretty much free money to them, but i'm just not sure we will get much new stuff befond technical manuals.

Then again, Lucas made sure to leave his second in command in place, which may offer some level of protection to the 'old ways'.

11. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I kind of agree.

After all (allusions to the Paul Davids series...) Disney has never released a book title called "The Ear Muffs of Mickey", ie: "The Glove of Darth Vader"

Alixen likes this.
  12. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Its a shame, but really, i'm not sure its a bad thing. With ol' Lucas deciding not to do any more films, it looked like Star Wars was going to die a slow and lingering death over the next twenty to thirty years with no Zahn to reinvigorate it. We would likely all have still loved it, but I firmly believe the mass market interest would have waned within the next decade, and the EU would have slowly ground to a halt anyway. At best, when Lucas died, someone was going to inherit, and continue the films far in the future ala the PT, with probably a longer gap.

Disney getting the license is a faster, and potentially more painful, wound that may very well just make Star Wars more vital and popular than ever in the long run. If it costs us the continuation of the written EU, it will hurt, but would have eventually happened anyway. No one was expecting fresh new Star Wars films every couple of years, and if Lucas had directed them people would have been unhappy. I'm willing to make the sacrifice for this.

After all, really, other than Abeloth what stories are we leaving on a cliff hanger? We know how all the PT novels turn out, in the OT. We know how the Post-ROTJ novels all turn out, in the Legacy Comics. Its, more or less, in a comfortable place to let it rest.

(Edit: worse, imagine if Del-Rey had won the book contract again? We would have likely had the same ideas team that brought us LotF and FotJ being responsible for advancing the overall universe until said mentioned slow death occurred. I have great respect for the authors, but I don't feel they have done a good job with anything but ruin the lives of the OT cast, and I would hate to see that go on for another fifteen years.)

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I figured Star Wars was dead in the water by the end of the next decade prior to the Disney acquisition. Del Rey needs the Big 3, so they were either going to contrive a way to keep them relevant (Crucible was only their "retirement" after the announcement) or do a reboot themselves -- presumably not calling it such, but doing a Star Wood type thing where they went back to the New Republic era and starting filling the gaps excessively.

14. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Yeah, I suppose i'm being generous with the twenty to thirty years.

The thing about the Big 3 is, also, that their audience will start to thin from age soon, as the fans are getting older along with the actors. I grew up with Star Wars, like so many, but Return of the Jedi was released five years before I was born. I watched it on recorded video tapes, and in my childliek mind blended the OT together into one film. And i'm now twenty-five. Fans who saw ANH in their teens (like my mother) and twenties are now of course in their fifties and sixties. Another ten years, and thats sixties and seventies, and so on. The sad march of time.

I grew up watching Luke and enjoy(ed before the LotF/FotJ) reading about him, but the generations after me are growing up with the PT, and TCW, and there isn't a great deal of sequel potential with the PT characters. I think for the current generations growing up with Star Wars, the characters that the Sequel Trilogy introduces will be the characters any theoretical EU going forwards will focus on. And as I note above, I don't entirely hold out much hope for a novel-based EU in the future anyway.

I suppose in due time all will be revealed. I'm actually excited to see where it all goes. Its going to be something of an adventure, if we can let go of the potential losses. As Anakin once said: "This is where the fun begins...!"

15. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    [face_thinking]

Hmmm.... I think the more pertinent question, would be:

What Impact does Disney have on Past EU Literature?

16. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    I would imagine little to none, to be frank. Until/if they do a prequel to the prequels, that might become a factor, but even if they do, George Lucas is neither in control, or even having any real influence that we are aware of.

Whether for better or worse, that frees us to decide as fans whether we accept these new entries as canon, in the same was I note above, if RR Martin wrote a Lord of the Rings sequel trilogy.

Until I see the new films, and judge them on their merits, I don't see why I personally won't accept them. But that's me. I fully understand and support anyone who says 'no, that's not what happened' when a new film overwrites something.

17. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, if the Solo children, as they currently exist in canon, do not exist in the Sequel trilogy, then it will have a MAJOR effect on past EU literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.