main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Bring Anakin Solo Back

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Anakin Solo Reborn, Sep 11, 2013.

?

Should they bring Anakin Solo back?

1. Yes

54.5%
  2. No

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin Solo Reborn

Anakin Solo Reborn Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2013
    Should they bring Anakin Solo back. I think they should. And no, it's not to lat to bring Anakin back. There is just something about his death I have always hated. Well, actually, many things. I know that they decided against bringing Anakin back using Flow Walking because of the box of worms it would open. But there are many ways that they could bring him back that would not opne such a box of worms. And many reasons why they should. I thought I would see how you all fell about bringing Anakin back. But first here is my reasoning why I think they should bring him back.

1. Come back for that kiss. While that may not be exactly what Tahiri said to Anakin just before his death. It was the gist of it. That was the worst part of Anakin's death. And there were many bad parts. If you ask me that's just begging for Anakin to come back.
    2. "Remember, you two are stronger than the sum of your parts. Together you two could" he pauses "No, I've said enough. Together, that's the important thing. Now go." Master Ikrit said that to Anakin about him and Tahiri just before he gave his life so Anakin could escape. So far nothing has come of it. But it still could mean something. For all we know he saw Anakin's death and rebirth and knew he couldn't say anything about it to Anakin.
    3. Luke saw Anakin and his sibling leading the Jedi.
    4. The cruelty of Anakins death. Firstly as I mentioned before the kiss, or lack there of. Secondly his and Tahiri's relationship just got started. Plus he died without ever making up with his dad. Han was still giving him the cold shoulder over Chewbacca's death.
    5. His death was not fitting. He had so much left to do and he didn't really accomplish anything in his death. Everone else had at least a fitting death. Vader died being redeemed. Chewbacca saving people. Mara defending her son. Anakin's death, taking a few Vong with him. Not even that many. Look at Ganner Rysode, he took thousands of Vong with him. Anakin a few dozen. He even failed to take Nom Anor down with him. Plus it wasn't even a case where had he not sacrifice himself the mission would have failed. He could have lived and they still would have completed the mission.
    6. Leia name him Anakin to redeem the Anakin name. He never got the chance. Sure the Jedi of this age and his family will remember the name Anakin for Anakin Solo, but not the people at large. In fact, the Anakin name was just dragged further down with the ship Anakin Solo used by Darth Cadeus. A total disgrace to him.
    7. His death didn't really affect the over all story as most others death. Where Mara's death secured Jacen as a Dark Lord of the Sith, and even Ganner's death allowed Jacen to stop the World Brain. Anakin's did not really affect anything. In the end it was Vergere's torture and all the wars Jacen has seen that caused him to fall. He would still have fallen if Anakin had stayed alive.
    8. Tahiri Veila. Her life has sucked. First her parents are killed in front of her eyes. Next she gets captured and tortured by the Vong. Then her true love is killed before her eyes. Used by her loves brother. Convicted of murder. And many other horrible things. Only really good thing in her life was Anakin. And they took him away. Tahiri deserves to have Anakin back and live happily ever after.
    9. They bring bad guys back all the time. Palpatine died and came back multiple times. Darth Krayt died and came back. Darth Maul came back, a decade later like what it would be like if Anakin came back. Even Boba Fett came back. He was killed in the movie, yet he miraculously survived and came back in the books. So why can't a good guy come back.
    10. With Jaina married to Jagged and taking the Fel name only Allana has the Solo name. And when she becomes Queen she can no longer be a Jedi. The Solo name has become just as important to the Jedi as the Skywalker name. They need to keep the Solo line in the Jedi.
    11. You can totally tell early in the New Jedi Order series that they did not plan to kill Anakin. His death just feels rushed and they leave so many plots open involving Anakin and the visions of him being a great Jedi.
    12. How epic would be be to see the interactions of Anakin with everyone after coming back after this time. Him meeting a teenage Ben. Everyone would be over joyed to see him but then it would get awkward with him adjusting to the present. Being able to see that kiss Tahiri promised Anakin.
    13. To much angst in the New Jedi Order series and beyond. Not many happy moments. People need more happy moments. And Anakin's return would be very happy.
    That's all the reasons I've got off the top of my head. If you have more please share them.
    There is hope. Troy Denning thought of bringing Anakin back. And if a author, more importantly the one who killed Anakin thought of bringing him back that mean there is hope.

Now to address some of the problems I've seen people have with bringing Anakin back.
    • Some say it get's old to bring people back all the time. I agree. Thing is, this isn't like superhero comics where they bring people back all the time. I haven't seen one good guy brought back in Star Wars. Only only like three bad guys. And only one of them was officially dead. That would be Palpatine
    • George Lucas did not order Anakin's death. He just told them not to have him as the hero of NJO.
    • Anakin Solo was not a simple character. His fear of his name anf many other things made him complex.
    • The box of worms it would open. All they would have to do is make it next to impossible, or even impossible for anyone else to come back that way and vala, no box of worms opened.
    If you have different problems with his return just post them, I'd love to show some ways to get around them. Just make sure your post are helping the discussion. Something along the line as saying Anakin suck so don't bring him back does not help the discussion.

All of you who do think Anakin should come back I would love to see your posts. I would love to see why you think it would be a good idea to bring Anakin back. It would also be great if you try to let Del Rey, LucasArts, Disney or who ever is in charge of the books that we want Anakin Solo back. Through email or any other way you know how. Some one should even make a petition to bring Anakin back. Here is to the hope that they bring Anakin Solo back.

2. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Okay, but that trend in Comic Books started somewhere. That somewhere is "The Death of Superman". In one issue, Superman is killed. In the next, he awakens from a "healing trance". The first issue sold more than any other single issue ever leading up to it. The second bombed. Fans were angry. They felt they had been cheated. And they had. The sanctity of death is storywriting, the belief that death was in some way relevant to storyline, character development, or in any other way was shattered. The death of a character no longer mattered. "They'll just end up bringing him back" was the mindset. And they were right. They then did it with Batman, Jason Todd, Green Arrow, and many more.

I LOVED Anakin's character. But I don't want his resurrection to sully the purpose and finality of death in the StarWars universe. So while your reasons for wanting him back are mostly reasons I share, I would not bring back Anakin Solo.

3. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    If the current EU continuity is still standing after Episode 7, than bringing Anakin back would be a terrible thing as it sets a precedent for character revivals and would cheapen character deaths as zarkinfrood has stated, however if the post RotJ EU gets wiped, than I wouldn't mind if they choose to use characters like Anakin, Jacen or Mara Jade and changed them to fit the ST.

4. Anakin Solo Reborn

Sep 9, 2013

I agree that they don't it to get to a point where if some dies the fans will just ask how long it takes him or her to come back. However in comics people come back ALL the time. But in Star Wars where no one has really come back to life, expect Palpatine and he use Essence Transfer immediately at his death, I don't think it is at a point where people just ask how long tell the next guy comes back. Now if they keep bringing people back every few years it would destroy the finality of death. Star Wars is, however, not at that point. And if they use a efficiency creative way to bring Anakin back, with him being the first one to really come back to life I don't think it would sully the purpose and finality of death in the slightest. I also think the Star Wars writers are smart enough not to start a trend out of bringing people back. Just cause comics have made it a trend does not mean Star Wars would if they brought one person back to life. While I think your points may be valid, I think it would be easy for the writers of Star Wars books to avoid them.

5. Anakin Solo Reborn

Sep 9, 2013
    That is easy to avoid. Everyone knows that comic books deaths aren't really final, as I'm sure the writers of Star Wars do, so all they have to do is agree not to bring any else back and problem solved. Also no one else in Star Wars had a death where they left as much unfinished as Anakin Solo did and has a need to come back like Anakin. In other words, they don't really have a reason to bring anyone else back.

As for the possibly new continuity, it sounds as if it is definitely going to happen so I also hope Anakin, Mara and Jacen are in them and stay alive.

Tahiri-Solo likes this.
  6. Otherwise

Otherwise Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2013
    Are we forgetting about Bevel "Just kill me again later" Lemelisk?

Jedi visions aren't any good reason to do something as drastic as bring a major character back, considering that the future's always supposed to be in motion and Luke isn't omniscient.

There really isn't a particularly good reason to bring Anakin back except that you happen to like the character. "Happily ever after" really isn't in this family's MO.

7. Anakin Solo Reborn

Sep 9, 2013
    Jedi visions in and of them selves may be a good reason to bring him back but combined with the other reasons it makes a good case to bring Anakin back. As for the happily ever after isn't in the family MO. Atleast one member of the Solo family should have a happy ending.

8. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009

You mistake the point I was trying to make. You're right, Star Wars isn't to that point yet. But just like the Death of Superman was the start of something that (arguably) was one of the dumbest trends ever, bringing anakin back could serve the exact same purpose.
    Additionally, presuming that the writers are smart enough for anything, ignoring such things as "Death Troopers", "The Crystal Star", the fall of Jacen Solo, and the death of anakin in the first place is a bit silly. :p
    And your last point, that it would be easy to avoid the same mistakes. If history has taught us anything, it's that people don't learn from history.
    I am taking a worst-case-scenario point of view in this discussion yes, but it's a pretty bad worst-case-scenario that I wouldn't even want to toy with.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I hate Anakin's death. I wish he hadn't died. But this is Star Wars. People don't come back from being dead. Palpatine was the closest, and even his spirit was still alive.

10. Anakin Solo Reborn

Sep 9, 2013
    You make a valid point. While there is a risk of just that happening, life is about risks. Not taking risks is not living. To improve anything risks must be taken. But I don't think the risk is that high. Because I don't think Star Wars would go down that path if they bring Anakin back. The reason, superhero comics are about magic and superpowers beyond the realm of even remote possibility. Where as yes Star Wars has the Force, but the Force they can't do the almost god like abilities superheroes do almost daily. Just look at Boba Fett and his Mandalorians. They are a match for the Jedi, yet they do not have the Force. They're just really well trained and with really good tools. Where no normal human could hope to beat many of the superheroes like Superman and The Flash no matter how well trained they are. Sure there is Batman, but his skills are unrealistic to the extreme. No human could do what he does. But a human could do what Boba Fett does. Because Star Wars do not have the god like powers of superhero comics I do not think they would fall for the same mistakes. While Star Wars may not be realistic, it is more realistic than the comics. Thus I do not think Star Wars would fall for that trap.

11. Anakin Solo Reborn

Sep 9, 2013
    Anakins spirit isn't dead. Jedi spirits don't really die. His spirit just has not stuck around like Palpatines did.

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True. But I think bringing him back at this point would cheapen the sacrifice of his death. It would be like bringing Ganner Rhysode back from the dead.

13. Anakin Solo Reborn

Sep 9, 2013
    Sacrifice? Anakin's death wasn't some great sacrifice. The mission didn't hinge on him his death. They could just have easily completed their mission had he survived. Plus he didn't even take that many Vong down with him. Just a few dozen. A mere faction of how many Ganner took down with him. He even failed to kill Nom Anor. He didn't achieve anything in his death, well beside dieing. Ganner took thousands of Vong to the grave with him. And where Anakin was already fatally injured and would have died anyway, Ganner was perfectly healthy and could have gone on to live quite a bet longer. And cheapen his death? How? Isn't the sacrifice willing to die so others may live. He was willing. Know if Anakin knew he would come back to life one day, that would cheapen his death. He didn't. So I don't see how it would cheapen his death. He was wiling to lay his life down so others may live, and did, you can't cheapen that.

14. Otherwise

Otherwise Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2013
    It's entirely possible that the mission to kill the Voxyn queen prevented the Yuuzhan Vong war from spiraling out of control, and I don't think it's debatable that the Vong would have won without contributions from A-listers like Jaina. Ergo the mission was conducted to save lives, and Anakin made his last stand to save those of his team.

Besides everything else, the only times I can recall a death-circumvention that didn't cheapen the story were instances where resurrections were a commonly used and accepted notion - in Star Wars they are not - or there were literal deities involved - again, no on that count. Bringing back Anakin at all, for any reason is going to negatively impact the story, especially for something as half-hearted as "someone ought to live happily ever after."

Revanfan1 and zarkinfrood like this.
  15. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I have always thought that Anakin's death was a mistake. Along with Jacen and Chewbacca. I hate for any of the good guys to die, especially the family of the main characters that we all grew up with. The potential that was Anakin Solo could have been great. As much as it pains me, Luke, Leia and Han along with Lando, Wedge, Wes, Hobbie, etc. are all going to die someday. Just the way it is. The thing that bothers me the most about Anakin and even his brother's deaths is they won't be there to fill in the gaps that their parents and their uncles' eventual deaths will leave. Sure, we have Syal and Myri Antilles to carry on for Wedge and there are others that can fill in some gaps. But, from my point of view, it is going to be very difficult to fill in the "gaps" left by Luke, Leia and Han if it falls to anyone else but a Skywalker or a Solo. So far it all falls on the shoulders of Jaina and Ben. We all know their legacies will continue for many years. The lost potential is what bothers me the most. Unfortunately, with all that said, bringing Anakin back would not be a good idea. It could be done and it might even be done well, but it doesn't need to happen. As much as it would be great to see him and his brother and even Chewie still around, that has all been ruined. However; like someone else said we can hope that in the ST that some of that potential can be recaptured. I know I do.

16. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Except when they are named Darth Maul.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I loved TCW, but I really disliked the idea of bringing Maul back. It turned out all right, though. But Maul's death wasn't a heroic sacrifice; Anakin's was.

18. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    I also thought Maul's revival was silly and only mentioned him to show that there is a precedent for reviving characters. I am personally against reviving dead characters and judging from how Maul's revival was handled, I would rather not see anymore similar instances no matter how much I love the character.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Anakin should have had much more as a character (before ever reading NJO, I actually assumed he lasted until the end of LOTF)
    But I don't want to see revived cyborg Anakin, clone of Anakin, semi-live ghost of Anakin, or Dab Hantaq possesed by the spirit of Anakin.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Dab Hantaq is kind of an enigma. He appears in Outcast, almost as if the authors were leading up to something...and then he dropped off when Nawara Ven got the Jedi's watchers taken away. I'd have liked Dab to at least continue appearing throughout the series, maybe as an opposite number to Javis Tyrr (who I hate, BTW).

Edit: No wait, he appeared in Allies. Bwu'atu called him into Tahiri's trial to garner sympathy to her. Still, a waste of potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.