main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oooh, me like
    Were is it from?

P.s. so need ship data, and indome architecture pics=P~

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    From the Japanese cover of Balance Point. The city ships all get totalled by the Yuuzhan Vong.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    They kind of look like Atlantis (Stargate) to me. Aside from the Executor-like engines.

4. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    That too was a city-ship. It fits. ;)

5. Kal Shadaar

Kal Shadaar Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2012
    I never liked the fact that all the SW ships we know are built by the same few shipyards. It make the Star Wars galaxy smaller than it should be. Most of the ships we know come from either Kuat or Mon Calamari, with quite a few from Rendili (but mostly old ships, or ships from the Old Republic Era, which have the same problem but for Rendili mostly). We got a lot of Corellian freighter but no Capital Ships, despite the fact that they are cited as one of the biggest shipyards in the galaxy. We have a few shipyards with one or two design (Hoerch-Kessel, Loronar Corporation, TransGalMeg,...). But some shipyards don't get any love :
    Fondor Shipyards either as a Techno Union shipyard or as the Fondor Independent Shipyards.
    Duro Shipwrights Guild
    Some Givin Shipyard and some Givin designed ship
    Slayn & Korpil (yes they have a few starfighter, but tey are certainly capable of building Capital Ships, no ?)
    Sluissi designed ship

Star Wars author and designers need to start being less lazy and stop using the same shipwright everytime they create something.

6. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Fondor tends to end up building Kuati designs (such as the Lusyankya (or was it the Executor herself?)) and the Razor's Kiss. Whoops, got that mixed up with the Cloak-Executor. My bad.

Rendili I actually want to see more of. They built my favorite ship (the Vic-Star) and don't get enough love in the Imperial era. That being said, I do also want to see the other shipyards. Duro and Corellia most prominently.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    More random stuff on recent topics:

We have had references to "Wavecrest-class frigates" built by the Givin for the Confederacy.
    Fondor constructed the Solo-class combat freighters on behalf of SoroSuub and the REC.
    Alderaan Royal Engineers was said to have several "successful capital ship designs" over its long history.
    Hoersch-Kessel was actually briefly owned by Duros between the Battle of Naboo and the Clone Wars.
    Rendili definitely needs more of a look - while they were marginalized in the Empire (although they were still making some of the larger space stations and the lion's share of customs vessels - so they weren't hurting) - in the post-Endor era it's said that they were "constantly researching new technologies and designs", and they appeared to be the primary supplier of the capital ships for the Judicals over the course of the Ruusan era.
    Still looking for the composition of the Republic Engineering Corporation consortium.
    Sienar has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to capital ships as well - we know they have capital shipyards at Lianna (where the Lianna-class corvettes were made, probably the Vindicators and Interdictors as well).
    Geonosis and the Outer Worlds said that Sorosuub was known for its capital ship production.
    The original EGVV said that Subpro made medium and large combat cruisers, which have never been detailed.
    There's the Tagge Industries Shipyards, that made the Modular Taskforce Cruisers that have appeared really nowhere outside the DESB.
    Telgorn Corp, one of the major corporations we know nothing about, made shipyards - they might also be a capital ship manufacturer.

Gamiel and darthscott3457 like this.
  8. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    That's a really good point. That comes out to about 3.42 star destroyers a day assuming a Star Wars year is the usual 365 days and discounting leap years. I imagine production ramped upward as construction processes became more efficient. It might have taken a few weeks to launch the first production batch, then by the Battle of Yavin the major yards might have had it down to a matter of hours for a single ship.

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Probably more yards opening up helped for the Exes - there were probably just Fondor and Kuat in the beginning (and possibly Scarl) - by Hoth, there were probably a number of shipyards making Exes (and related models like the Vengeance-class), but probably not many. The fact that Zsinj went out of his way to hit KDY's main yards seems to imply that by 4 years after Endor there was probably only Kuat and Byss still making SSDs.

10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Or that only Razor's Kiss was near enough to completion to be worth stealing.

But we can't be sure.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Very true. I need to go back and read through the whole Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron/Thrawn Trilogy/plus miscellaneous storyline again. I haven't read through the whole stream of interconnected stories straight through in years.

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    We know that some Executors were built, launched, then sent elsewhere for finishing work prior to Endor e.g. Intimidator. With the mess post Endor, Kuat probably stopped doing that, instead choosing to complete them in the Kuat system.

SoroSuub has the Liberator Cruiser and Dauntless Heavy Cruiser, two of the many criminally underused ships from Rebellion.

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    You would have liked it if I'd won the WTS that eventually became the Braha'tok-class gunship.
    No, it just has Captain Manchisco speculate that they might be independent operators who had been fighting the Imperials there. Nothing about them being smuggling ships.

14. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

I always remember reading about Core Galaxy Systems, in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels I think, when I was younger and hoping that one day we would get to see some large Old Republic warships made by them since they were a competitor of KDY.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Even more random stuff

Ho'din ships! How do the ships of a race of 2.5-3.0 m tall humanoids who has a thing for botany and environmental technology. I image them as flying gardens with wooden panels and flowerpots in the working areas, or maybe they, like the Fairwind, have hulls made of wood?
    Have we seen any wookie ships? How do they differ from human ships?
    The same goes for herglic ships!
    Also have we seen any ship belonging to a non-humanoid (or non-near-humanoid) specie? If so; how did they differ from ships for humanoids?
    Why do the sith ship of the SW: the Old Republic era more resemble the (Palpatinian) Empire's ship than the sith ship of SW: Tales of the Jedi era?

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have to agree

17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's interesting that even though the Sith designs from the Great Hyperspace War are small, frigate-scale designs, at least the personnel carriers have Kuati-style windows and crew pits.

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah just reread it as well, could have sworn she was clearer on it.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There was the weird, pre-Vong ships of the Ergesh, alive and with tentacles for controls - appeared in the Planet Guides of WEG.
    OOU, I think we all know it was to create a sense of familiarity with the Empire of the OT despite being set thousands of years prior.
    IU, most likely it was two factors:
    1) just before the Clone Wars, there seemed to be a pursuit of older designs by various manufacturers - the YT-series of CEC based on the XS freighters; the Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers of Rendili based on Mando designs from the Mandalorian Wars; and, it seems, the whole "Star Destroyer" concept by KDY coming from ships like the Centurion-class and Interdictor-class.
    2) The lack of 'heavy hitters' during the thousand years of the Ruusan Reformations led KDY and related companies to reach back to pre-Ruusan designs as a basis for new 'big ships', rather than starting from scratch.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Also a case of form follows function.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Right, there's the mysterious main shipyards for Black Sword that has yet to be identified that made the Intimidator - and that apparently was in the early days after Endor. (There's also references to it being a "late model" Executor with some differences in the BFC which has never been followed up on).

I think the Rebellion Era Campaign Guide was the only reference we got to them outside of the game. Here's hoping good things from FFG. Has anyone checked out the Beta for ship data?

Bingo. I think that's explicitly stated in the SAGA Ed. SOTG, where they talk about the Star Destroyer being an "ominous naming convention" back to the days of the Old Republic - implying a reference to the KOTOR ships.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Kuat actually makes the most sense there, as Fondor was lost to the Rebels insanely fast.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The only problem is that they were said to be specifically the home shipyards for Black Sword, IIRC - so the facility should be somewhere in the Negs.

Okay, found it - p.2 of BTS "it had been sent to Black 15 from the Core for finish work, to free up a Super-class shipway at the command's home ship-building yard"

His usage of "Core" was always a little wonky (as well how Black Sword Command was "on the Rim") - and EGTW doesn't have Black Sword going in the Deep Core. Praxlis was the HQ for Black Sword during the Clone Wars, so that would be a good possibility. Also note that the quote implies there were at least two Super-class shipways, meaning there was at least one other already under construction, and that the Intimidator had to be moved to make room for the construction of another.
    I've also supposed in the past that the yard was at Cal-Seti, which would tie into the NR and Empire thinking the whole fleet was destroyed, including the Intimidator.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Really just a question of what "Core" he is referring to here, the "Core Worlds" would actually work as well given how vaguely it is worded.

25. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    We know in Legacy era Fondorians made cruisers, destroyer, and starfighters, used in Confederation fleet...who knows how old some of those designs were? A shame Legacy books didn't give specific class names to these puppies

Presumably the Fire Lotus fighter, carrier Mother Grace, Thranta-class cruiser, gunships in ROTJnovel, and war frigates are all Alderaan Royal Engineers designs, although I don't think any of those have been explicitly stated

"Hoersch-Kessel was actually briefly owned by Duros between the Battle of Naboo and the Clone Wars."--source please? Genuinely curious, not doubting you

regarding Rendili, we still need pics and more info of Vainglorious-class and LT-9000 interceptor; perhaps Vainglorious could be retconned as one of the unnamed ships in KOTOR comics?

as for Sienar, their complete Capital class list at present includes at least 12 types across eras, of these, only the IPV/4 and Immobilizer 418A are unpictured, though its uncertain if they would look all that different from their predecessors

1) Tetan battleship 5000 BBY
    2) Interdictor-class 3960 BBY
    3) IR-3F pre-33 BBY
    4) IPV-1 33 BBY
    5) Marauder-class 33 BBY
    6) stealth corvette 22 BBY
    7) Vindicator-class pre-5 BBY
    8) Immobilizer 418 5 BBY
    9) Lianna-class 0 ABY
    10) carrier Sardis 3 ABY
    11) IPV/4 19 ABY
    12) Immobilizer 418A 25 ABY

[the carrier Vindicator in DE looks like it might also be a Sienar, or maybe Cygnus, design?]

only pictured SoroSuub Capital is Liberator-class, and only other capital even named is Hornet-class carrier

"
    The original EGVV said that Subpro made medium and large combat cruisers, which have never been detailed"--page number?

weren't modular taskforce cruisers really transports, not capital ships? personally, I doubt Telgorn made capital ships per se, otherwise Baron Tagge would presumably use one as a flagship, rather than just a mining explorer, although the latter seems to have been well armed enought it'd almost count

Telgorn Corp seems to specialize in transport, dropships, and shuttles, I see no reason to think they'd make capitals

despite their importance, for Sluis Van and TransGalMeg we only have one named capital design each [Centax-class and Bulwarrk II respectively], and Centax has never been pictured

some other worlds with shipyards: Bonadan [ie Cutlass-class corvette]; Bothawui; Contruum [Legacy-era destroyers]; Damoria; Diamala; possibly the Frezhlix homeworld [make the Jompers and Kruk classes?]; Isht; Kaloth; Empress Teta [did they keep building into CW era?]; Leresai; Elrood; Aramand system; Loronar; Maramere; Umbara