main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social You are Lucasfilm! Pick an Ep. 9 director and 2 spin-off movies!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BigAl6ft6, Aug 18, 2013.

1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm not sure exactly who I would want to direct Episode VIII, though I hope the Sequels each have a different director. While I like Abrams, I don't really want him to hold the reigns for the whole trilogy.

As for spin offs, I would prefer a Jango Fett film to a Boba Fett film, personally. I'd like to see him pre-Kamino (or even pre AOTC, based out of Kamino) taking on bounties. Could include cameos by Zam Wessell and Aurra Sing... Personally, I think Boba should be left with whatever mystique he has left. I guarantee Boba will be one of the first (if not the first) spin offs, though.

Second spin off? Something dealing with the Underworld/Hutts/Spice smuggling... Could be a young Han Solo vehicle if they need a main character to be part of it...

2. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I like the Ridley Scott idea. Prepare for it to be more adult though.

Hell I can't remember, who directed the original The Thing?

3. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    John Carpenter that is who. Damned great movie.

4. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    JJ Abrams for 8 and 9.

Christopher Nolan for Star Wars: Imperial Command- Set to bridge the gap between 6 and 7 we see Luke Skywalker face his most calculating and tactical opponent yet: Grand Admiral Thrawn.
    Written by Timmothy Zahn and Jonathon Nolan.
    Matthew Vaughn for: Star Wars: Scoundrels- a film set 18 months before A New Hope, involving Han, Chewy, Lando and Boba Fett. Also revealing why Fett and Han became enemies. (not to be confused with the novel!)
    Written by Lawrence Kasdan.
    Christopher Nolan for Star Wars: Plagueis- essentially an adaption of the Lunceno novel, acting as an origin story for Palpatine as well as unravelling the mystery of Darth Plagueis.
    Written by James Luceno and Johnathon Nolan.
    2021 Onwards
    Peter Jackson for Star Wars: The Old Republic Trilogy- based on the story of Darth Revan.
    Written by Drew Karpyshyn and Simon Kinberg.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    My choices:

Star Wars Episode VIII:

Written and directed by: Christopher Nolan or Martin Scorsese

Explanation: It cannot be argued that most of us enjoy how while each film in the original trilogy has a beginning, middle and end, we also enjoy how they play into each other and form a three act structure as a trilogy. In the original trilogy, the middle episode was the darkest and most gritty. It was still humorous, but it was dark humor. In our age, these two directors are the ones most known for creating dark, well-loved films (Nolan-The Dark Knight, Scorsese-Gangs of New York). This also leads into my choice for Episode 9....

Star Wars Episode IX:

Written and directed by: Joss Whedon

Explanation: Return of the Jedi does have emotional drama in it. Jedi is a story of redemption and ends happily. Most of it is very lighthearted and fun. This is why we need a director that can supply us with just that: light-hearted and fun. I think the Avengers is just that. To me, Joss Whedon has already proved he could do this film.

SPIN-OFFS:

Personally, for spinoffs I think we should get into the EU that has been popular in recent years. Ya know, The Old Republic stuff, Death Troopers etc.

I think both of those could definitely get a film.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Written and directed by: Peter Jackson

Star Wars: Death Troopers

Written and directed by: John Carpenter

BigAl6ft6 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    while I think Edgar Wright could do a damn great job directing a proper Star Wars "Episode" (Just check out the sheer mass of Star Wars references in "Spaced". The 2nd-to-last episode ends with a perfect ESB tag)

But since this is my pick I'd just say "Edgar Wright, make me a Star Wars movie." Just saw "World's End" and it's great, but I'd say it's more of a character drama and sci-fi movie than a comedy, but the movie is constantly hilarious and awesome. Same deal with "Scott Pilgrim", it's a comic book action romance but with a lot of comedy in it. Do that. Make it action-y and lots of drama but feel free to make it funny as hell. Hell, get the same crew from Spaced back together but flat-out make a Star Wars movie instead.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  7. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I'd probably pick myself as the director but then I wouldn't be at all surprised.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  8. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    Scorsese is cliche.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Episode 8 director: Christopher Nolan
    Episode 9 director: Peter Jackson
    Spin-offs: Darth Sidious, Yoda

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    We're all thinking big but what about something really small scale? Like "Salacious B. Crumb's Excellent Adventure" which is a small, more wacky comedy road-trip story across the galaxy. Or something about a stormtrooper on a outpost where NOTHING happens (It's a big galaxy, you know a much got shipped off to nowhere. And not like Tatooine nowhere but really even less)

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    While I am currently annoyed at Mr Abrams, I still think he should do Episode VIII since he's already doing Episode VII (to keep the continuity) If not him, then Peter Jackson!

Spin offs:
    Knights of the Old Republic (comic series, not the video game) done by Joss Whedon
    Darth Bane done by Christopher Nolan
    Quo-Gon Jinn spinoff done by Luc Besson

Ulic Qel-Droma done by Ang Lee in Crouching Tiger style

12. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    Episode VIII:
    Dir: Jonathan Frakes

Spinoff #1: Kenobi
    Dir: Paul Thomas Anderson

Spinoff #2: Knights of the Old Republic (Revan and Malak lead the charge against the Mandalorians)
    Dir: Paul Verhoven

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Your sig is awesome dude lol. I never knew he said that.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Episode VIII Director - Peter Jackson

Spinoffs - Qui-Gon Jinn movie and a Obi-Wan movie

15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    EPVIII: Alfonso Cauron (A Little Princess, Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban, Children of Men, Gravity)

This guy has potential to do for the ST what Irvin Kirshner did for the OT. Cuaron has an absolutely killer visual sensibility, both for action spectacle and for cinematography and cinematic beauty. He knows how to make a big genre blockbuster with heart and good characters, and he knows how to properly take a "light" franchise into darker territory.

Also, check out the trailers for Gravity. He knows how to make space look good.

Spinoffs:

Obi-Wan-
    Really, I just think it would be great to see Ewan back in his Jedi robes again, but in a completely new context. I'd love for this to be a slightly gritty, slightly melancholy film about a man in isolation, with a lot of regrets. It could also incorporate elements of a western, especially given the Tatooine setting. I haven't read the new Obi Wan novel but I'm sure there's some ideas in that kind of story worth exploring on film.

Star Wars: Underworld- No, not necessarily an adaptation of the TV series, but rather a Mafia/Crime film that centers on the seedy power players of the SW universe and the people who work with them. I think the crime world is one of those great, but often overlooked, aspects of the SW saga, and outside of Jabba its never gotten much screen time. I think a Godfather-esque Star Wars film, complete with double crossings, assassinations, shady politics etc. could be a lot of fun, as long as it doesn't take itself too, too seriously.

Truthfully, my end-all dream spinoff would be an Old-Old Republic (like KOTOR or earlier) film featuring hordes of ancient Jedi and Sith going at it, but that, I think, should be saved for another time, after the ST has been completed.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Tarantino directs han solo spin off and a film dealing with life inside of Jabba's organization

17. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I very well could imagine him in a non-conventional SW spinoff dealing with underground creatures like pirates and smugglers.

18. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    Episode VIII
    Director: Guillermo del Toro
    del Toro would be the ideal director for Episode VIII, in my mind. Hellboy II had everything a good Star Wars film should have: Wonderful art direction, including creepy and interesting creatures, but not lacking in story, humor or humanity. Lastly, characters we care about getting into bad situations, which is all you need to tell a good story, anyhow.

Spin-off #1: Orphans of the Jedi
    Director: Alfonso Cauron
    [​IMG]

It's a bad title, but you get the idea. After narrowly escaping the Jedi Temple during the attack of Order 66, a group of friends now fend for themselves in the underbelly of the new Imperial Capital, Coruscant. Will they maintain the Jedi way, or will hate and fear consume them as they struggle to survive in a world now covered in darkness?

Spin-off #2 - Knights of the Old Republic
    Director: Peter Weir
    A faithful adaptation of the award-winning video game of the same name.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rogue Squadron spin-off, written and directed by Joss Whedon. That is all.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    Cool thread. : )

Episode VIII: Christopher Nolan - Here for the darker movie, reminiscent of TESB.
    Episode IX: Spielberg - It would be worth it to me to lose a spin-off movie if it meant a quality, meaningful, award winning movie to finish the Skywalker story.

Spin-off #1: Qui-Gon Jinn's story. He would be Dooku's apprentice at this point (allowing us to see his relationship with Yoda and the others as a member of the Jedi Order; seeing a young Mace would be cool, too). The story would follow the internal struggle master and apprentice faced with the Force and the Order, when Dooku left and how Qui-Gon became the Jedi we know from Episode I.

Spin-off #2: If it weren't cancelled by my director choice then I would've liked to see a Plagueis movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Gut Ritchie directing an Obi-Wan movie starring Ewan McGregor would be fantastic.

Another spin-off I've always wanted to see a Star Wars live action television series based in and around the Cantina from ANH.

22. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Episode 8: First choice Alfonso Cuaron, he may decline due to reluctance of working on bigger projects, if that's the case, we take our offer off his table and present it to Guillermo Del Tero

Spin-offs:
    The Rise of Darth Vader: loosely based off the novel. Doesn't have to even follow the novel, just the concept. Let's go in directly after Episode 3, as Vader hunts down the remaining Jedi. He is still adjusting to the suit, still dealing with losing Padme, and quickly discovering just how powerful he's become with the Dark Side. James Earl Jones reprises his role as the voice of Vader. Sidious sends Vader on a mission to hunt down a rag tag group of Jedi Survivors, attempting to re-organize the Jedi Order.

Christian Bale as Quinlan Vos
    Michael Shannon as A'Sharad Hett
    Jack Huston as Ferus Olin
    Andrew Lincoln as Jax Pavan

This film would be the ultimate, in fan service. Vader, in his prime, hunting down the last of the Jedi. He'll even attempt to discover the whereabouts of Kenobi, as he strikesthem all down. Vader vs Vos will be the final duel, after Vader eliminates Olin & Pavan, and then onto Hett, to finally face Vos. It will be an almost even duel (as Vader is still getting used to the suit, he will rely on other force powers, not just his lightsaber skills), and his suit will be severely damaged in his final battle, but he'll come out victorious. Vader will be the "anti-hero" of the film, the guy who you clearly know is NOT good, but he's just so bad ass, you can't help but root for him!!!

Kenobi: This film will take place after the Vader film, during Kenobi's exile on Tatooine. It will be a direct adaptation of the "Old Wounds" comic book, as Darth Maul tracks down Kenobi to get revenge for Kenobi taking his legs. There will be other sub-plots going on throughout the film, but the culmination of the fim is Maul vs Kenobi duking it out one last time.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan
    Joel Edgerton as Owen Lars
    Ray Park as Darth Maul

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Since we haven't seen the direction from Abrhamans it's kinda hard for me to say if I want him back or not from Episode 8, for the spin offs I'd wanna see Yoda, Han Solo & Chewbacca and Darth Vader in between Episode 3-4.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Star Cheers
    Where everybody knows your operating number
    And they're always glad you shot first

Frank T. and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. kane1138

kane1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    If EpVII is a success, Abrams should stay for the remainder of the ST. In fact, Arndt should stay too, in order to ensure some kind of continuity.

As for the spin-offs, I would like Joe Johnston and Jon Favreau to get a shot at the reins. Johnston has wanted to do a Fett movie for some time. And Favreau's ad-lib mentality could work well on the set of a Solo movie.