main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mommy, where do baby Jedi come from?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    When the mummy-chlorian reeeallly loves the daddy-chlorian...

2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    "I saw a video on the Holo-net that showed multiple midichlorians hugging at the same time, is that how twins are born?"

3. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm going to take the controversial stance ...

So, according to GL, Jedi can have sex, but not fall in love. I would say that there's probably no official rule about it, but Jedi will, 99% of the time, have sex with each other.

(Has anyone seen the Red Dwarf episode Holoship? In that, the crew of the Holoship sleep with each other regularly, but see it purely as purely to keep them healthy and relaxed. They don't have relationships, and they don't fall in love. I imagine it would be like that.)

When a female (or male, because hey, Star Wars) Jedi gets pregnant, she carries the baby to term and then it's taken into the general pool of younglings. She's never even told what they will name it. Because Jedi are raised from birth not to form attachments, she's fine with this (most of the time ...) The child is just an anonymous Jedi (which could be difficult if it's a rare species, but it is a big order), and the parents get on with their lives.

Also, a thought of the Force running in families. Obi-Wan says he was amazed that the Force was so strong with Anakin when they first met, implying no precedent in the Skywalker line. And yet both he and the Emperor knew that any children Anakin had would be a threat. If Anakin's bloodline wasn't special before, what reason would there be for Obi-Wan and Palpatine to suspect that Anakin's children would be similarly gifted?

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    You do have Force Sensitives that aren't Jedi material that are having children they could be Jedi material.

If male Jedi are messing around on planets/missions where they could interact with a female of their species or compatible one the Jedi could then keep a closer eye on Force Sensitives from that planet or whatever. Daddy would never know. And there is a point about a pregnant female Jedi. The robes they wear would hide it for a time and then she could leave the Temple until the child is born then return, or she is hidden in the Temple. Because she isn't suppose to feel anything for the child she wouldn't allow herself to and then the child disappears into the Temple creche and she doesn't have to worry.

It is noteworthy that Shmi herself was Force Sensitive: good/excellent Jedi material. If the theory that two Force Sensitives/Users pass on their strength then Qui-Gon has to be thinking that either a powerful Jedi or a powerful Force Sensitive that slipped through the cracks is Anakin's father.

Apparently sex is good for the health; apparently.

5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Wow, I didn't know this. Do you remember where you read this? (You should really work for Lucasfilm as a continuity editor for the EU since you know it all so well!)

Actually this isn't as weird as you might think it sounds. A lot communes, including Jewish Kibbutzes, adopted an approach where children of all the families would sleep in children quarters and most the child-rearing was done collectively. This is also true in some tribal societies.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    darth ladnar I read it in the junior novelization of TPM the tidbit of Shmi being Force Sensitive. I would GLADLY work for Lucasflim in editing the EU stuff since I spotted a HUGE mistake in the NJO series at the end.

7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Now you've got me curious. What's the huge mistake you caught?

BTW, love your new icon!

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Really? From the movie, one gets the idea that she is a bit stunned about Anakin's "special powers". But I wouldn't be surprised if the EU contradicts once again basic concepts present in the films...

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  9. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    It's in the NJO. The last book has the wrong number of seed partners needed to create a Living Ship. In Rouge Planet and the third to last book said that the number of Seed Partners is usually three and Anakin had twelve. The Unifying Force said that the number of Seed Partners were one or two and Anakin had nine.

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

I have had the impression that untrained Force Sensitives can live normalish lives but they have heightened senses or perceptions. They know when they are being followed, being lied to, know which buttons to press and when not to press said buttons.

darth ladnar likes this.
  11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Getting a bit EU for a Movie forum here, folks, although I've stated in the rules that novelisations of the films are fair game - junior novelisations I didn't consider. Carry on, though.

And Lady_Misty, I concur with darth ladnar about your avatar - considering getting it printed on a T-shirt for my missus as a gift if I can get a decent high-res version. Where's it from?

12. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Darth_Nub someone shared it on FaceBook and I fell in love with so I saved it. It's called Baby Chewie and you should be able to find it by doing an image search in a search engine.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree. I'm just saying that if Shimi were to possess such "powers" shw wouldn't be surprised about Anakin's.

14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Seeing that Anakin is twice as powerful as Yoda and Sidious and they both were considered powerful Force Sensitives so if Shmi was as powerful as Obi-Wan Anakin's powers might be surprising to her.

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has the milk spoiled? It looks, well, white!

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

It's probably either Goat's or Cow's Milk. Those are white.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see the wording of that bit- I read that novel (the junior one, by Patricia C. Wrede) a few years back and never noticed it.

20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

I don't own it but I remember Qui-Gon thinking something along the lines that Shmi couldn't have produced a Powerful Force Sensitive on her own that another powerful Force Sensitive had to be her father.

21. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    Gee, based on the PT, I wouldn't be surprised if Jedi come from midair and females of breeding age can randomly get pregnant because of the Force.

Also, parents with low midichlorian counts may accumulate it over each generation until that specific person becomes a Jedi, then that stops and other generations are still waiting for their turn to accumulate their midichlorian count until that generation is Force sensitive. If a person's midichlorian is too powerful, they may turn arrogant and their pride may cause them to fall into the Dark Side, which the Jedi are trying to prevent.

22. MasterCece

MasterCece Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    Please keep in mind that I am an old bird and my way of thinking goes by seeing the OT before the PT. When you see the movies in this order you really know very little about the Jedi. We know they were guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic. After seeing the OT, I thought people joined the Jedi like they joined the military. My line of thinking was that being a Jedi was like having a career in the military. And as we all know, people in the military get married and raise families. So, I thought it was the same with the Jedi. I thought when children of Jedi became of age they had the "option" of joining the Jedi. ("I want to be a Jedi, like my father.") So with this line of thinking, I was always under the impression that it was hereditary except for Anakin.

Obi-Wan to Luke, "When I first knew your father he was already a great pilot, but I was amazed at how strongly the force was with him." This suggests to me that he was a rare, random find.

Then in the same conversation with Luke, Obi-Wan tells him, "The Emperor knew as I did, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." This, of course, suggests genetics which supports my thinking that being a Jedi was merely a career choice of Jedi offspring.

Then the prequels come out and confuse me to no end. LOL. I love them just as much as the OT, but I find myself confused about a lot things. Anyway, upon finding out that attachment is forbidden for a Jedi, I'm forced to change my way of thinking. Now I can only conclude that force sensitivity is random. And the only support I have to backup my way of thinking is when Qui-Gon tells Shmi that "if he were born in the Republic, we would have identified him earlier." I am left to draw my own conclusion that children born in the Republic undergo some sort of postnatal testing to identify them as potential Jedi and the information is then sent to the council, etc. This really makes no sense to me but it's the only conclusion I can come to. No Jedi in the PT is married or even involved with someone, except Anakin. Therefore, I can only think that Jedi children are rare and force sensitive children are random. Dumb? Probably, but I can make no other sense from it. I'm also only going by the movies. I don't know enough about the EU to comment otherwise.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's both. Jedi children are rare, force-sensitive children are random- but, if a Jedi does have children (which is discouraged) those children will usually be Force-sensitive.

Lucas eventually clarified that, though "attachment" is forbidden (which generally means marriage or any extreme romantic relationship) - Jedi are not required to be celibate- one-night-stands, "friends with benefits" and so on are permitted.

MasterCece likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    One could think that way when watching ANH alone (and even then, one has to wonder: why Luke and not someone else?), but with Empire and Jedi, things get explained a bit more. Tapping into the Force is not an easy thing to do, and the Skywalkers have the advantage of the Force being strong in their family. TPM later corroborates this with the revelation that Force potential could be measured through Midi-chlorians, thus explaining why some beings are more naturally attuned to the Force than others. When Qui-Gon states that if Anakin had been born within the Republic he would have been discovered sooner, my interpretation was that since the Jedi's presence is more abudant within Republic territory, his discovery would have been more easy.

MasterCece likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Jedi don't exist in a vacuum, they have biological families. They have parents, brothers and sisters, cousins, etc. Just because a Jedi dies without reproducing does not mean the genes die with the Jedi. Then of course there's mutation.

So, yeah, Jedi aren't even required to make more Jedi, biologically speaking.