main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A request from a novel hater.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I meant better for the OP. Overall quality-wise, I actually can't decide myself.

2. Pax Bandica

Pax Bandica Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith is the best EU novel I've read to date. Also ironic because I didn't like Shatterpoint at all. I actually groaned when I saw Stover's name on Episode 3.

Also, if you're going to read RotS, you might as well throw in Labyrinth of Evil as well. Luceno is legit. Plagueis is another gem.

Sent from my Secure-A3 comlink

ILNP likes this.
  3. Pax Bandica

Aug 15, 2013
    I also love the Bane trilogy, but for entirely different reasons.

ILNP likes this.
  4. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I personally fell in love with Shatterpoint on my first reading, and I can still go back and read it over again whenever. And I don't like Mace Windu as a character or the actor who portrayed him. Thats how good it is. That's how good a job Stover did.

I also love the Medstar duology, but i see they aren't even in the running. Shame.

ROTS is also in my top ten, high on it, with Dark Lord. But the thing is, I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it EU, since its the novel of the film. Sure, it is deeper, arguably better handled, and 'expands' it so to speak. But still based on the script and story of the film.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Please ignore (mods where's muh delete button).

6. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I would avoid reading Luceno if you don't like EU despite recommendations to the contrary. I like his stuff, however I feel he drops way to many EU references and it made it harder for my non EU reading friends to appreciate his novels. I have to agree with most of the people here that Stover novels and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous are the best novels to start the EU with. I would also recommend the Han Solo Trilogy, which was so good even my EU hating best friend enjoyed them.

7. Pax Bandica

Aug 15, 2013
    Just read The Paradise Snare today. I think I have a new favorite SW book. It was FANTASTIC.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Crispin's Han Solo trilogy is an excellent place to start - and you throw in Daley's Solo trilogy (considering you can see essentially where they fall in place)

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Get Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales of the Bounty Hunters for Daniel Keys Moran's (may he come back and write more Star Wars) two short stories on Boba Fett.

10. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    i'm reading my first Star Wars novel now. Bounty Hunter Trilogy or some such. I like it. I rarely read fiction.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I've been re-reading Shatterpoint and it's really good -- even better than I remember it being. Previously in my estimation it was the weakest of Stover's four SW novels, but now I really can't say any of them can be classified as weak, even relatively speaking. They're honestly all on about equal footing. I suppose I need to re-read Dark Rendezvous now.

DarthJenari likes this.
  12. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i read a little bit of shatterpoint and thought it was pretty boring, i might give it another go..

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Do that. Honestly it's one of my favorite novels in the entire EU. Easily in my Top 5 standalone list.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  14. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    The Thrawn Trilogy is a pure classic and is also the best (in my humble opinion) place for new readers to get in to the EU, that said, the Hand of Thrawn Duology is even better but a bit harder for new readers. Shatterpoint and the ROTS novelization are excellent examples of Stover's work. Hard Contact and Traitor are also very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.