main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Stop spamming links to your competitive website, yeah?

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    It isn't spam when he is posting it in the Rebels thread.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Well, it's certainly rebellious.

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think it is actually something that can help discussions here. So you read the thing and then come here to discuss it.

"Geesh, that s65horsey has no ******* clue. How in the world could she think Tycho got it on with a Bothan. She needs to learn her X-wing pilot's bedroom habits"

Which then spurs a discussion about how we'd like to see more Human/Non-human relationships portrayed in the Rebels animated series since a good portion of Rebels were non-human.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    While there is arguably a certain degree of overlap, "Eleven-ThirtyEight" isn't a message board, let alone one with which we are in competition.

Indeed, it plugs the JCF Literature forum, and serves to showcase the work of a number of our regulars.

So, for now, CooperTFN's shamelessness is kosher.

Should the situation change (he "fires everyone", for instance) then I will personally see him crucified upon the tree of woe.

Gladly.
    :D

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So anyway, I'll port one question from the chat over for you guys: to Jedi or not to Jedi? I say again--Zao would be cool. He could be like Shepherd Book as of Serenity.

Mia Mesharad and DarkSapiens like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sad that I can't imbed video with a start time.

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I liked the forum better when we didn't have to check footnotes for other sources to have a discussion. I think having discussions here helps discussions here.

Coop's site isn't competitive to this forum, how could it be. And it's obvious that in version 2.0 of the internet, you need to plug your blog or site or youtube channel a lot in order to get a small percentage of the overall audience. But simply linking to some article somewhere stops discussion dead. It also grabs authority on a topic, because look, important stuff that is relevant to this discussion is found under that link.

We can plug Coop's site in the forum banner, I'm okay with that. And if there's something like "we had a similar discussion recently, and we had some interesting ideas like A and B, you can read the whole thing here", that's helping the discussion. But saying "go here, some regulars frolic around" sounds too much like "if you're finished playing, come here for a real take on the topic". Which probably isn't intended. But I must say the site plugs as they are done right now tend to rub me the wrong way, too, seldom as I come across them.

[A further though which isn't meant as criticism or anything, just an observation - is what we're seeing here the evolution of social internet strateges? After ancient strategies like embedding photos and vidos for maximum internet commentary effect, we suddenly had the ability to "like" what people say, and now we start embedding links to our personal web achievements? Throw in the thread that turns iconic user avatars into real people, and it almost seems as if the lit forum is preparing to evolve into the next Facebook once Episode 7 makes the whole place implode...]

9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I have personally trained the vultures to peck...

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Grey1 - you actually make a few good points there. I'm totally willing to have a back-and-forth with people on this, but until your post all I've seen is sniping. Note that I responded to Jack's post over in the ETE thread, though--if there's one thing I definitely agree hurts this thread, it's having this conversation here.

One other note, though--the post I made here that started this back-and-forth was the first post in this thread in a month. Had there been an ongoing conversation already I might have made more of an effort to work the link into said conversation, rather than just dumping it there. In any event, I'll try harder from now on.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    After further consideration of the issue in mod squad (my previous statement was fairly impromptu and, in retrospect, ill-advised) we'd like for you to keep direct links to ETE in the dedicated ETE thread.

Thanks.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Agreed.

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    [face_peace]

I agree that he'd be an interesting Book, especially since he's much more of a "wise" Jedi and less of a "lightsaber warrior" Jedi. I'm not sure I'd like it if he'd lose the baggage of the troubled padawan he's looking for. Which would be a cool subplot for a series, no questions asked. But have him cross over from Dark Times and leave the actual open Dark Times plot up for imagination or future explanation (he already found her, he was looking but that wasn't shown in the series) would feel... diminished, I think. And even if they continue cherrypicking cool EU stuff, I honestly can't see them acknowledging too much about the actual stories.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    August 5, 2014 it is, people! Can we get a timer? :cool:

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    See, there's that pesky thing where they're marketing the show towards children of a certain age. In this case, ages 6-8. I've mentioned this before, but this was a big problem for me with TCW and its content, which was, IMO, inconsistent in its focus as either a children's show or one for adult fans.

I hope Disney has a better handle on this going forward.

Trip, JackG and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, marketing in general is really stupid. There are action figures in stores now for movies like the Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel, right alongside the TMNT and Generator Rex stuff. The fact that they have tie-in stuff for kids doesn't necessarily mean anything aside from the fact that marketable properties come in all shapes and sizes. If a company thinks that a property will sell toys, kids books or whatever else, they'll do it, it doesn't matter what the actual property says or does. Hopefully the Rebels team will say "screw you" to the marketing goons the same way the Avatar: TLA and Legend of Korra teams have and just focus on making a decent show. Leave the marketing to the marketers and the tie-ins to the publishers.

Though, if the suits at Disney wind up turning Rebels into Batman and Robin somehow, I will punch a puppy.

18. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    True enough, although those films aren't on a television channel (usually) marketed to children as well. I can make the choice for my kids not to see those movies if they aren't age appropriate, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not always paying attention to what they're watching on tv.

I'll also be the first to admit that I'm feeling pretty pessimistic in regard to this show being something I want to watch, so I'm sure it affects my outlook on any announcement.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't have a problem with them marketing these shows towards kids. Especially since they made those children's books for the Star Wars movies, too. Just because they make kids' adaptions of a show or movie doesn't necessarily make it kid-oriented. And I never found TCW to be all that kid-oriented, anyways. The movie and the first season, maybe, but after that it definitely felt like just more Star Wars.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That's OK. She goes better with a Barriss figure anyways.

Grey1, MercenaryAce and CooperTFN like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll buy both figures and draw handlebar mustaches on them.

As far as the books and the show's marketing, I wouldn't take that to mean that the show is being marketed to elementary school kids. There are plenty of PT and OT books for that age group (I've seen level 1 readers about Darth Vader) and I'd certainly say the movies are adult friendly, Jar-Jar aside.

That isn't to say that the show won't be marketed to that age group but I'm not jumping to conclusions at this point.

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Pablo's going to present an Empire-themed Rebels panel at NYCC this year:
    :cool:

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I just hope it has the quality of the Clone Wars animated series, which I very much enjoyed.

A children's show does not mean a childish show.

Even if, yes, I'd like to see Ahsoka and other kid heroes.

:)

MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Hence why Ponies are so popular.

I agree with the rest of this post as well.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I can't take credit for the quote, though. Tom Baker said it first.

I just hope Rebels does better than the Tron cartoon. That was as good as Batman Animated but no one watched it.