main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Thanks for that Rew! Shame she hasn't played it considering she did that pot smashing short vid as Link too.

Adding the trailer for the different editions of TWW HD:

Life and The2ndQuest like this.
  2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Thanks Rew! That will help quite a bit. I can finally label the ???? parts in my word doc :)

Yeah, her agent pretty much admitted it. Or maybe she played it some and isn't as into it as us. Wonder who created the piece then. I'd assumed it was Lindsey.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    God, do I really need this game? I played it 10 years ago. Do I really need the figure? What am I going to do with it? Maybe sell it on eBay for profit? That's such a hassle. eBay fees, PayPal fees, ugh! Nintendo, you vile temptress!

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to give in and get it eventually, just not at launch. I mean, heck, I've repurchased LOZ twice (between GB Clasics and VC), ALTTP once (GBA) and I don't even remember what I did to get the Master Quest (OOT) and Collector's Edition discs (LOZ, AOL, OOT, MM) and I'll no doubt grab OOT 3D eventually as well. Why break with tradition now? ;)

In fact, I think the only rerelease I never picked up or played (shy OOT3D since I don't have a 3DS yet) is LA DX (since I already had the original).

Life and TiniTinyTony like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reason I even want a 3DS is for OoT3D and SM3DL.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If you do get the 3DS, be sure to get Fire Emblem: Awakening and check out the other Zelda titles on the eShop ;).

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ALBW, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, MK7, Luigi's Mansion & SM3DL for starters for me (as the money in my wallet cries out "save us!" and I'll whisper "No." ;)).

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    All very good titles to have. I'm debating with myself about whether to get Animal Crossing 3DS or wait for a Wii U version (I've held off this long for getting a title in that series).

I've been slowly making my way through the Oracle games and feels like a bigger title than Link's Awakening

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I am hoping to catch up on my Zelda games next year- I definitely want to finish Skyward Sword first, and I've been slowly making progress in Phantom Hourglass (though I think I'm stuck once again trying to figure out my next destination/objective)- that damn game alone has taken me way too long to complete it given how much time I've put into it (with my playtime primarily focused/occurring during the launch period, and then during both Celebrations V AND VI (needed something to play in those early morning hours waiting for the doors to open each day)).

After that, even though I have Spirit Tracks, I still want to go back and play the Oracle games (I think I initially lost interest in them when they came out after I realized how the one game was basically a LOZ remake and moved onto something else) as well as Minish Cap (which I only played the opening segments of, I believe). And pulling up the rear is MM (though the question becomes if I should resume my original save file, or if I should just start afresh given how much time as past I have no idea what was going on in the game prior to my last play).

Naturally, however, when I manage to get a 3DS XL, ALBW will supercede all.

Though I will be getting TWW HD, i don't think I'll be intending to beat the game given my existing backlog, but I look forward to reexploring it's world in HD- and I am curious to retry the Triforce quest to see the changes made.

On the upside, having multiple Zelda games with a massive amount of unplayed content within them is a pleasant problem to have ;).

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    And to amend my previous post on Lindsey Stirling, she has now done Star Wars! All is now right with the world.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Side-by-side comparison of TWW HD footage versus the original:

Some of the scenes look really gorgeous, but I do think I preferred the darker color palette of the original (particularly with the nightime scenes and the contrast on Gohma.

The added widescreen aspect ratio does help make the sailing feel less crowded, though.

Life likes this.
  12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I do love the widescreen and the dynamic lighting most of the environments, the shadows of the clouds on the water, etc. That sunset while sailing! I have to agree with you that the nighttime elements could benefit from being a bit more darker but I do love the misty and other elements in some of those scenes. I did notice that some elements in the GCN version were blurry, as though mimicking depth of field of a camera... whether intentional or not. That is made sharper on the Wii U version.

Either way, I am looking forward to picking up this title and traversing the oceans again (that and ACIV Black Flag)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Being a sucker for tropical games (THE SUPERIORITY OF SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED ONE DAY!), I think Black Flag will be satisfying that particular itch sooner than TWW in my machine.

A pirate I was meant to be!
    Trim the sails and roam the sea!

14. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in believing that Super Mario Sunshine is an underrated game. If you can get past the terrible voice overs early on and that annoying, repetitive cutscene, I'd argue that it's a better game than Super Mario 64 (even considering their respective release dates). I haven't played a 3D platformer with as tight, responsive, and accurate controls as Sunshine. I felt that Galaxy was noticeably less precise.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I loved Sunshine and exploring Isle Defino, wished Yoshi didn't have an aversion to water in it. Galaxy 2 was great too but lacked some of the story elements from Galaxy 1.

Also stumbled upon this, some of the sounds... possibly all are taken from Majora's Mask:

Togruta likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Those are beautiful. I remember there were desktop wallpapers with some of those designs on them but to actually have one for the wall... that is great.

18. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    I made a run through Ocarina of Time again a few months ago on the GameCube and it was nice to know that the game has still aged pretty well. I'll admit that I did have to look at gamefaqs for how to get the Goron Tunic (I don't believe my wallet was upgraded at that point). It's embarrassing because I'm pretty sure the first time I played through Ocarina years ago I did use the bombs on the Goron. You'd think I'd actually remember that. My main objective was to get through the main game in order to prepare myself to try the Master Quest again. Some years ago I managed to make it as far as Jabu's Belly before I abandoned it, and since I don't have that save file anymore, I needed to start from scratch.

The day before yesterday I started a new Master Quest file and it's been pretty fun so far. Getting back into the Zelda mood has finally convinced me to order a copy of Ocarina 3DS. Given that there's a Master Quest mode on that version, I probably won't complete the GameCube version, but it's neat to see the dungeons re-arranged. It's interesting how I've started to use items I've barely touched in the past, like Deku Nuts. There was a point back in 2000-2001 that I had probably forgotten about them completely. Ever since I've started messing around in Master Quest I thought, "Why haven't I been using Deku Nuts all this time?" They come in handy against the Gohma eggs that are everywhere in the Deku Tree.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, I really do need to get around to playing the Master Quest at some point sooner rather than later. Given my backlog, replaying a Zelda game is often out of the question outside of special circumstances, but OOT is one of the games even I need to play more than once- if only due to it's lasting impact on the series.

At the same time- if TMQ is a OOT3D mode option, the question then becomes- do I play the GCN version (allowing me to use a TV) or allow it to be my reason to buy and play OOT3D on the 3DS when I get one (giving me the improved graphics and 3D)? Decisions, decisions... how are the 3DS controls? I can't imagine they are as good as the GCN's.

Also, the whole Second Quest/Master Quest concept is something I'm surprised they haven't implemented more often- I understand why something like TP or SS might have an aversion to doing such a thing, given the amount of resources required to reconfigure one of their dungeons, but something like TWW or PH should easily accommodate new dungeons (or, at the very least, it should be pretty easy to move islands around on the map).

Seems like a SQ/MQ would be preferable to filler in the main quest or just a hero mode.

20. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    I can't comment on the controls as my copy hasn't arrived yet, but the 3DS version of the Master Quest has mirrored dungeons and the enemies deal double damage, so its version of MQ is the most different from the original Ocarina game and more difficult. That might give it a better sense of freshness, I suppose. As you noted, storage limitations probably prevented TP from getting a Second Quest, but I would have liked it if they had included a hard mode/hero mode. I know that some players do challenge runs, like three hearts only or something, but having a hard mode with changes such as double damage from enemies and higher prices on potions and milk and so on would still be nice.

Don't get me started on game backlogs. I've still got LoZ, Zelda II, ALttP, and Ocarina 3D (with its MQ). And that's just my Zelda backlog. :p Eventually I'd like to give Majora's Mask another go. I had a copy of it years ago, but I didn't make it very far and gave up on it. In retrospect, the unorthodox nature of the game sounds rather appealing today. With any luck there will be a 3DS release. I'm not sure if I want to play it on the wii.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone download Wind Waker HD from the Nintendo eShop?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm waiting for a physical copy- though even then, as I mentioned before, I'll probably have to hold off til next year due to too many Wii U games coming out between now and year's end.

On another note, The Second Quest symphony is coming to NYC in Nov so I may just be able to catch it afterall...

(plus, bonus: won't have to deal with nightmarish Mann Center parking! ;))

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of which, apparently you now have the ability to take self-pictos. This guy found the perfect occasion for this function. :p

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003