main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Yeah, the fact that the Vong's current method of war is unsustainable doesn't escape the New Republic leadership.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Yuuzhan Vong have a very specific goal in mind with their invasion and they sell out all other considerations to achieve that goal -- which they will shortly. Then they have to live with the reality of the situation after achieving that specific goal, and realize that they can't just rest on their laurels and that they still have to deal with the New Republic despite having exhausted their reserves.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    my bold
    :eek:

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But to my understanding the hyperspace charts needs to be updated constantly and there is also all those smugglers paths that should not be in the Obra-Sakai libraries

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

A lot of the Peace Brigadiers were former Smugglers and Mercs, they would know those lanes and probably passed them along.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :eek: How?:eek: How do they do that?
    Sounds like Karrde has to go Jabba on some asses

7. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Dovin basals, my friend. Dovin basals. ;)

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Artificial black holes. But the point stands anyway.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what about the heat?

:eek: Why do they need to travel to a new galaxy? They seems to have the technology needed to "terraform" a world with out any real problem, so why spend time and resources to get "here"?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Their gods demand that they take over everywhere.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Their dovin basals (AKA mini living black holes) were dying and they didn't have the resources (living, naturally-created plant and animal life) to grow new ones.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was that a vision that appeared after they had destroyed their own galaxy?

Something like: "Dry land is not just our destination, it is our destiny!"
    Also do anyone know were I can find the rest of the quote?

P.s. pardon the attitude, the explanation probably sounds better in its real context

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe if they hadn't travelled across the golf of empty space they would not have been dying?

This begin to sound like a cover-up[face_thinking] The vong claims to be on a holy mission of conquest but is that really what is going on? I (8-}) say they are running form something and are to prideful to admit it, or maybe they have just forgotten it after travelling so long in empty space!

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Long story short...they had to.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I (8-}) know it! They were being hunted by something!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    From what I recall in the far distant reaches of long-forgotten spoilers, their home galaxy was complete devoid of life and resources, so they decided to knock on their neighbor's door and ask if they could borrow a few thousand planets forever.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Are we given any real reason why they did not terraform their home galaxy? They do seem to havethe technology, is it some kind of "We Do Not Sow" mentality

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I actually understand the banner of keeping it nebulous. Remember the controversy over Traviss and droid numbers? Are there quintillions of droids? Are there hundreds of millions? Hard numbers aren't your friend. Quintillions means the Jedi couldn't possibly have an affect. Hell, you could populate every world in the republic with them.

I was okay with Lucas' "There's as many clones as there need to be."

Still, a SENSE of them is good for everyone.

LightsaberAccident likes this.
  19. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Bingo. Giving out actual, specific figures can really limit the authors' creative freedom down the road. They may come up with an idea and realize that, realistically, they don't have the number of ships or troops to make that work.

From a long term story telling perspective, hard numbers can really come back to bite you in the butt later.

20. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    They were pretty much constantly at war in their home galaxy, and they went all Sherman's March to the Sea on their galaxy. So much so that they purposely restrained themselves in the GFFA war.

21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Yuuzhan Vong galaxy had a massive galactic war between two machine intelligences which spilled over onto Yuuzhan'tar, which gave the Yuuzhan Vong the biotechnology to defend itself. Subsequently, they became corrupted by the power, and after sending the machines fleeing (to the GFFA), they turned on each other and completely devastated their galaxy in civil war.

Presumably, the reason why the GFFA hasn't likewise been devastated is because of these hyperspace disturbances that the Celestials apparently created, which keeps sections of the galaxy partitioned off, so if some jerk shows up and wrecks a lot of stuff it's localized.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem was that wasn't what he told Matt Stover - that's where all the issues began.

Hard numbers are fine, as long you're somewhat consistent.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

He does in Edge of Victory. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Only if you haven't actually planned things out.

I can well see the idea of keeping it vague but in NJO it sometimes changed so rapidly it broke what little confidence I had in it and once broken, it's very hard to rebuild confidence.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I confess, I think the story would have been interesting to tackle the win-conditions and strategy of it upfront. "The Vong don't have the resources to defeat a fully-mobilized New Republic but they have a far vaster military and if they wage a suitably fast war, we won't be able to defeat them because they'll cripple us militarily."

It would have made a nice parallel to many real-life wars.

Of course, I was waiting for Shimmra to find out about cloning tanks.