main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which scene most often brings tears to your eyes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ananta Chetan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Since I'm a man, I don't tear up, but if I were physically capable of discharging salty water from my tear ducts, then the following would probably be the most moving to me:

Vader: Luke... help me take this mask off.
    Luke: But you'll die.
    Vader: Nothing... can stop that now. Just for once... let me... look on you with my *own* eyes.
    [Luke takes off Darth Vader's mask one piece at a time. Underneath, Luke sees the face of a pale, scarred, bald-headed, old man - his father, Anakin. Anakin sadly looks at Luke]
    (Great sad version of the Imperial March right here: first slowly and quietly on violins, then on a flute.)
    Anakin: Now... go, my son. Leave me.
    Luke: No. You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
    Anakin: You already... have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.
    [Anakin smiles meekly, then slumps down.]
    Luke: Father, I won't leave you.
    [Anakin dies, and Luke slowly reacts.]
    (Motif of the Imperial March plays once more, this time on a harp.)
    [Luke lowers his head, overwhelmed by sadness.]

(BTW, what really makes this scene special is that the emotion arises from both joy and sadness at the same time.)

A close second -- Padme's rumiminations: the scene in which Anakin and Padme think about each other before Anakin decides that he must protect Palpatine from Mace and the other Jedi.

2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Translation droid says, "[He] cries like a baby 3 or 4 times during each movie."

3. Jedi Zaven'than

Jedi Zaven'than Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 12, 2013

Probably the most tear-jerking scene in the saga is when Anakin dies, given he's pretty much the main character of all six movies not even considering the fact that Anakin just redeemed himself and saved the galaxy.

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Did he save the galaxy? Episode 7 comes out in 2 years......

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin saved the Galaxy, whether VII likes it or not :p

6. Jedi Zaven'than

Jedi Zaven'than Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 12, 2013
    This.

CoolyFett, FRAGWAGON, lbr789 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I am unable to shed tears while watching a film, but if I could:

Jedi purge. The music combined with the muted sound and the deaths.

"You were the chosen one"/"You were my brother" speech from Obi-wan. That one I almost actually cry at every time. After such an epic life & death battle, and Obi-wan stands in victory, then truly realizes that there IS no victor! And the galaxy has fallen, all his colleges have been murdered, and he has just been forced to kill his best friend. So unbearably sad!

I don't see how people could have left the cinema after ROTS mocking it. It has SO much deep emotion!! I would have walked out stone faced & silent, then gone and watched it again. (had there been a cinema in my country at the time)

8. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Its funny ROTS ESB and ROTJ were the films I would repeatedly watch time after time now days when I watch the first two especially I'm like... well that was depressing [face_phbbbbt]

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I could watch ROTS all day not get bored

10. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    The 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' story is so 2005, as the Saga is 9 episodes now. Deal with it!

11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There haven't really been any scenes that have brought tears into my eyes but Padme's death scene does make me very sad and always has.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  12. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

He could still have an impact on the story so who knows...

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah, 9 episodes. You're correct. Two thirds of which cover said tragedy ;)

14. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Oh yeah, ANH was SO tragic in 1977. :confused: When it is all said and done, the Saga will be 6 movies about Luke Skywalker and 3 movies covering the backstory to those events. ;)

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm afraid this isn't the 20th century anymore and the saga has evolved quite a bit since then ;)

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I agree. The reason they're making 3 more movies is because the Prophecy in the PT was wrong, and Anakin/Vader didn't save the galaxy. ;)

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    And The Tragedy of Darth Vader will always be integral part of it, no matter if the saga ends up at nine or twelve or 27 parts.

As I said before, we don't know yet if the sequels will be about Luke or about his and Han's and Leia's children. So in the end you might get The Tragedy of Darth Vader and three sequels. Boy, that would've been such an anticlimax, wouldn't it?

18. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I disagree. Lucas is involved in writing the outline for the ST, so he has ALWAYS rearranged the context of the Saga as each trilogy redefines or contradicts the other trilogy. Whether its Vader being Lukes father, or Luke & Leia being siblings, or QuiGon finding Anakin, Boba Fetts dad being the stormtrooper clone or Padme dying at childbirth, we ALL will look at the 9 movies differently after Episode 9. In the end, this could be Lukes story all along.

19. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

All we can do is speculate it could be Luke it could be Anakin... One thing though is that his legacy he left should be occurring throughout the trilogy

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Could turn out to be Jar Jar's story. :D

Actually the only character who is almost certainly going to be in all 9 films is R2-D2

DarthIshyZ and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I don't think that's necessarily certain, but it's very likely, if the filmmakers stick with GL's serious intention in the 1980s to have the two droids in all nine (and even then he said they might go all the way through). I imagine they would, simply for the sake of doing it - but the role of the droids in the PT was somewhat gratuitous, fitting them into the ST might be stretching things a bit too far if there's no clear part for them to play.

That 2005 comment of GL's about Artoo passing the story to the Whills sounds more like a lighthearted remark (much as he said Leia & Han ended up married, with Han cooking burgers in the backyard), not an actual description of something he ever planned or intended.

22. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    ive always loved the R2 telling the story idea and will fully expect the driods to be in all of the films, they are part of the SW fabric, fixtures and fittings like John Williams and Light sabres

23. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Or Jar Jar turns to the darkside, and Jar Jar's son redeems him in the ST. ;)

"You failed your highness, I am just as annoying to legions of SW fans as my father was, and I will never turn to the darkside" :p

24. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I remember when I was 11 and saw RotS in the theaters when it came out. I definitely teared up during the Order 66 scene. It doesn't have quite the same effect on me today but it's still emotionally wrenching.

Also, the Vader's Redemption scene in RotJ always gives me chills.

25. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Agree.

No tears, but definitely the most emotional scene of the saga to me.
    Especially "You already have, Luke...You were right about me..." with this sad and relieved expression.