main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Especially if you're a dwarf.

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    On another bit of news, from the website www.thorinoakenshield.net, here is a link to the DragonCon Hobbit pannels:

1. Manu Bennett is a hoot. Honestly. The guy's got the best sense of humour.
    2. I got all misty-eyed at the end of the second panel. When you get to it, you'll know why.
    3. Richard Armitage is the Viggo Mortensen of this trilogy, what with almost drowning and all that. As Balin would say, "Just don't scare us too often, laddie."

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

Barriss_Coffee and TX-20 like this.
  3. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    And a happy birthday to our original Hobbit, Ian Holm.

At 82, I wish him to reach as venerable an age as Bilbo Baggins, with many happy returns yet. I hope he's doing something restful in his own Bag End today, perhaps smoking a pipe or reading a good book, or that he's celebrating in as lively a manner as a Hobbit, amongst good friends and family.

Cheers,

4. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    It's a bit eerie watching Balin relating the story of the battle outside Moria and the death of Thror when I know the Fellowship will find Balin's own tomb in the Mines some 60 odd years later.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah -- I think a *lot* of people watching the film didn't make the association between Balin and his LOTF tomb, since many people haven't read the books and weren't paying attention to the "Balin" reference in FOTR.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Then cue the shocked gasp if, at the end of TABA, Balin says he wants to go reconquer Moria in the name of his King, making the viewers realise just how failed an enterprise it is. Talk about a downer ending...

7. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    TBH, Barriss, I had forgotten about the Hobbit-LOTR connection for Balin, and I read both books long before I ever saw the LOTR films. I only remembered it now because I just spent the last week watching all four films, starting with FOTR and ending with AUJ. Even then, it didn't click until after I watched the first half of AUJ yesterday.

@Laurethiel, could be a possibility, but I'm not really sure. In the books Balin didn't ask leave to go to Moria until about 45-50 years after the Quest; in FOTR Gloin said it had been "nigh on thirty years" since he left. Of course, that period includes the 17 year gap between the Party and Frodo leaving the Shire, which Jackson stripped out. ( I won't mention any more specifics because I'm trying to avoid spoiling Hobbit book events for people who may have only seen the film.)

Speaking of the gap period in the FOTR film, I'm thinking that at least one year elapses between the Party and Frodo leaving. The Party occured on September 22nd (coincidently, my birthday) in 1400 SR. Later in Rivendell when Frodo wakes up, Gandalf says it is October 24th. I seriously doubt there could only be a month between the two events, especially since Gandalf rode from the Shire to Minas Tirith and was apparently there for some time before he returned to Frodo, and Gondor was many miles away. Plus, the Black Riders didin't know precisely where the Shire was. I suppose it could be possible that Rivendell came only a month after the Party and the Nazgul left Minas Morgul weeks before (Saruman: "The Nine have left Minas Morgul. They crossed the River Isen on Midsummer's Eve, disguised as Riders in black"), but TBH I think that scenario is stretching credulity a little too much. A year gap seems to work better and doesn't force events to be rushed.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    TX-20, RC-1991, Everton and 5 others like this.
  9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I knew he was in TPM, but I hadn't yet figured out which scenes he was in. Well spotted!

10. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    And he was already quite dashingly handsome, if my eyes do not deceive me. Though, seeing him today, I cannot do aught but say that, like fine wine, he continues to improve as the years pass.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I wonder if they let him keep the helmet.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sir Gawaine, Jane Foster, 87, Elizabeth Swann, AND Thorin Oakenshield all in the same shot :eek: You have just won the internets!

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  14. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Mae Govannen,

Since in some parts of this world it is already the 21st of September (including our own Middle-Earth stand-in - the land of the Kiwis, that is), may I take this post to celebrate a milestone about the adventure which started it all Ages ago in a world far, far away...

Happy 76th Anniversary of The Hobbit's first print.

[​IMG]

May the lasting success of the tale narrating this particular Halfling's adventures go ever on, and may we never cease to dream of Arda and all its creatures. Thank you, Professor, for having dared publish a "children's story", and for having started to share with us your rich legendarium, without which many of us wouldn't be here today.

Namarie,

Laurethiel :)

15. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Tomorrow is Bilbo Baggins birthday, hope to see a new poster or (fingers crossed) a new trailer or production video by PJ

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope we'll never get any ever again.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Go eat your pizza and stand in the corner, IATI. You shan't be invited to any unexpected party. No pork-pie or buttered scones or raspberry jam for you. Not even any mashed taters.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  18. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    And no Second Breakfast tea, either!

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

McNulty's in there somewhere.

[​IMG]

TX-20 likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  21. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Because Hobbit celebrations are never enough, and there is always a pretext to drink a half-pint (or, indeed, a pint) or two:

[​IMG]

Cheers to all,

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Happy birthday, Bilbo!

Barriss_Coffee and VadersLaMent like this.
  23. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    keira knightley also played padmes decoy in the phantom menace.

24. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    i still have to watch rerun of the king ( still never saw it and hobbit)

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000