main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Darth Maul track the Queen to Tattooine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Komodo9Joe, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    Tattooine is apparently outside the scope of the powerful Trade Federation's influence and the Queen landed her ship out in the middle in nowhere. Qui-Gon doesn't talk to anybody but Watto...don't tell me Watto and Darth Maul are old pals![face_laugh]

But seriously, Maul talks about "if the trace was correct" with Sidious and Obi-Wan mentions to the Queen and co to not send a message back to that Sio Bibble guy so as not "to establish a trace" so did somebody respond back to him behind the other's backs?

Or is there a work out there that explains this?

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    They responded, I can't remember the source...

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe the explanation is that the very act of receiving the communication from Bibble allowed Maul to trace where the message ended up.

SkywalkerJedi02 and Alexrd like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. He could track them to Tatooine, but not to their exact location. Hence he has to use probes to find the ship and spends a lot of hours doing so, before he finally gets a hit. Also, the Jedi have tracking devices as we see in AOTC, when Obi-wan finds out that Anakin's on Tatooine and not Naboo. The Sith could have easily tapped into the frequency and use it.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Backbench Jedi

Backbench Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2013
    Were there a lot of towns besides Mos Esiley? How did he know they will be there?

6. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Maybe it was just dumb luck.

7. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    Mos Eisley is a big spaceport for Tattoine so it was a logical starting point and base.

8. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    The towns he sent the probe droids to were Mos Espa, Mos Eisley, and Mos Entha.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I believe you mean Mos Espa.

10. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    I
    I do, thanks.

11. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    That's actually a good question. I know Maul said Tattooine was 'sparsely populated' but the place is still a whole planet and we know of other cities and places: Mos Eisley, Jundland Wastes, Jabba's domain, and I'm sure many others.

Secondly, my 'locating the trace through Sio Bibble's communication' is a theory but not conclusive. One could always say that if Darth Maul was tracing their exhaust system or residue of their ship in space, then he could track them all the way to the Queen's ship. Or maybe the trace gets too thin at one point to narrow it down?

But any other theories or is everybody pretty much convinced with Sio Bibble being the jerk that brought the Sith to Tattoine:p?

For that matter, why would Sio Bibble do something so foolhardy? We must assume he has some common sense as a governor of Naboo. Or was a battle droid pointing a blaster to the back of his head and forcing him to contact them?

12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I assume the range of Maul's probe droids is substantial.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

I still chuckle whenever I'm reminded about Kenobi saying that he didn't know where to look, or how to find Anakin Vader. ;)

Maybe the dark side disabled his.:p

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. Anakin would have removed the tracking device when he left for Mustafar. Obi-wan knew that he would have done that, in case any stragglers picked up his signal prior to changing the emergency beacon from "Come home" to "Run and hide".

15. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The inhabitants of Naboo are unintentionally written as dimwitted individuals (Palpatine & Padme, excluded). Look at the intellectual prowess of Captain Panaka and Ric Olie. Then there's that fool Sio Bibble leading the Sith right to the Queen when he should know that their communications are being monitored. And what's with electing a kid to be your monarch? High five to the Bibs...the Sith thank ya.

No wonder Palpatine rose to the top in this society, slim-pickens for brains. Maybe it's something in the water or atmosphere, Anakin says & does some pretty stupid things when on this planet.

_Catherine_ and Sarge like this.
  16. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    [face_laugh]
    But what makes you say that Captain Panaka and Ric Olie are also lacking sense?

17. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I always assumed that the Feds forced Sio to record that message, possibly by having their droids point their blasters at a couple of Nabooians.

- At last, we will have revenge.
    - There will be noone to stop us this time.
    /LM

18. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Anything you can't explain...a wizard did it.

Mr. K likes this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Panaka said: "They've knocked out all our communications..." Throw in the fact that the Governor was either walking with Gunray or in a prison camp and he could not have sent that garbled msg.;)

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, you forget that Nute and Rune were able to communicate with Sidious using the holoprojector built in Nute's mobile chair. Nute made Bibble send the message and used that to try and track them down.

21. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Obi-Wan in AOTC sent a message using his ship to Anakin who was supposed to be somewhere (I forgot) but he said something about being out of range so he concluded that Anakin wasn't there. When Nute made Bibble send the message it was obviously within Maul's range.

22. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The real question is why did they end up on Tatooine..It's on the outer rim out of Republic jurisdiction, why would they escape the planet and flee in the opposite direction of where they were heading?

23. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    The first priority was to escape the blockade, mapping the correct path came after. Unfortunately, they didn't escape the blockade without sustaining damage, and landed on Tatooine for repairs because "It's small, out of the way, poor, the Trade Federation have no presence there".

Darth Chiznuk and Poor Greedo like this.
  24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I always assumed that too.... either that or the message was an outright forgery.

I don't understand the hate for Sio Bibble. The other thread (which for some reason was closed) called him "Captain Obvious" for saying a communication disruption can mean only one thing, invasion. Well, if that conclusion was so obvious, then why did both Panaka and Amidala disagree with him?

SlashMan likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Due to the damaged Hyperdrive, they couldn't go directly towards Courscant and needed to go someplace that the Trade Federation didn't have a presence at, but was also nearby. Obviously, some of the worlds near Naboo were Federation allied worlds, while Tatooine was in the Outer Rim and thus controlled by the Hutts. They don't have a relationship with the Federation as they prefer to rely on their own smugglers and their own trade routes, to do business.