main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Master_Jacen likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not by much. The fact that medical science had come so far, was proof that McCoy in whichever universe, isn't so adverse to it. I mean, he considered the 20th century to be barbaric and would have loved to have had the opportunity to reverse and save his father, much sooner. Then there's his own resurrection in the series. Much less all the others there.

I think it has to be a specific situation. Radiation poisoning could be cured, but not the physical trauma such as what we saw aboard the Reliant. Nor what happened a hundred years before then.
    And yeah, I don't buy the game hurting the film. If that was the case, "E.T." would have sunk when that piece of crap game came out.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    So, he thinks that Lucasfilm, Ltd., a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Co., is going give to him significant control over tie-in and subsidiary material? I don't think even J.J. Abrams would be granted that much power.

6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    It would be funny if he thinks he is going to have that power over the tie in material. Hes just the director.

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

What, hurt the high-grossing movie's bottom line? That's unlikely. Hurt the movie's quality? Umm....how, and way to shift the blame JJ. Also way to be hyper-sensitive.

Also on what planet will you have more control over the tie-in material of a massive corporate entity with an even more complex history of tie-ins than Trek?

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Given that Lucas was the one that came up with the idea of a creator having control over movie tie-ins when he first started shopping Star Wars around to the studios, it wouldn't surprise me that he put in the contract with Disney that he still had at least some (or a majority) influence over any and all movie tie - ins. Maybe JJ negotiated with Lucas to have some of that control?

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Doubtful. Really, a video game isn't going to be that much of a factor in a film's box office shortcomings. To believe otherwise is to be extremely naive and quite possibly dumb. The fact is the film underperformed because it wasn't as good as the previous film was and didn't have nearly the amount of hype behind it as the last film had. The eleventh film was a testing ground for a lot of people who weren't that into Trek. Those that stayed, came to this film. Those that didn't, saw essentially nothing had changed other than the cast. The rest of the problems come with a weak plot and direction.

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    All I know and heard is that J.J. Abrams didn't like that Star Trek is in the hands of two different companies (CBS and Paramount) with competing interests where Star Trek is concerned, so going over to Star Wars, where the ownership and marketing is more clear-cut was more appealing to him.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Um, no. This one was way, way, way more marketed than the previous film especially with advertisement tie-ins.

12. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    But it hurt that this one came out 4 years after the first one. Not really good to keep the momentum up of a rejuvenated franchise.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Uh, movies like this generally take about 3-4 years to make. Are you suggesting that everyone take the mass production, oversaturation approaching that Disney is taking with its Marvel and (apparently) Star Wars properties?

14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, I think they might as well, actually, because if the quality is anything to go by, they wasted most of the four years they should've spent on story development.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I didn't even know there was a game for STID, so it didn't hurt my opinion of the movie at all. It was the movie that hurt me!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

You sir, are no longer on my list of people to resurrect once I find the elixir of life.[face_not_talking]

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Another way to put it is these guys aren't Wolverine. Killing them isn't really that complicated, especially if you have them in cryotubes. The whole idea that they can be killed by firing stuff at them is kind of central to part of the plot.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I agree; it was pretty clear that this version of immortality was very similar to the Babylon 5 version: you cannot die from old age, but you can get sick and die; injured and die, etc.

However...

That still doesn't answer as to why Bones wasn't way more invested in "Hey! I've just basically cured anything that requires cellular regeneration to not have people die. Ever."

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What specific situation does it have to be? Because the child he "saved" at the beginning of the thread didn't die from acute radiation poisoning. Nor was it suggested that Tribble died from either radiation poisoning or the disease that afflicted the little plot device girl. You are asserting that they aren't Wolverine, but nothing in the movie is really showing us that, since it has easily cured every single thing it has ever been tried against.

20. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I should insist on the point that the film telegraphs that Kirk is literally dead. Not that he was suffering radiation poisoning. That he was dead. We can do all the mental gymnastics we want bending the film to our own conceptions of what is more or less plausible, but ultimately we must come to rest on what the film says about itself.

Or rather, what the film says about itself by invoking other, superior films.

Sarge likes this.
  21. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Don't know what JJ is talking about. The video game is amazing. It's a thing of beauty:

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I've suffered through some bad games just because I like the movie. Tron: Evolution springs to mind. Then you have the rare ones that are better than the movie like X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

But I couldn't bring myself to finish Star Trek. It was such a weird combination of anger/disappointment. I had such hopes for the game. I would be happy with an Elite Force-esque FPS in the JJ-verse. It would suit it better than it did the Voyager or TNG settings.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Not marketing hype. Hype from the general audience. Word of mouth. That sort of thing.

I didn't say that Kirk wasn't dead. But that the manner by which he died, radiation poisoning, could be reversed through the introduction of Augment blood. However, being at ground zero of an explosion wouldn't do that, which is why Khan was upset at the death of Jochim and all the other Augments aboard the Reliant. Not to mention the ones who died on Ceti Alpha V.

25. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    [quote="darth-sinister, post: 50999057, member: 426497"

I didn't say that Kirk wasn't dead. But that the manner by which he died, radiation poisoning, could be reversed through the introduction of Augment blood. However, being at ground zero of an explosion wouldn't do that, which is why Khan was upset at the death of Jochim and all the other Augments aboard the Reliant. Not to mention the ones who died on Ceti Alpha V.[/quote]

I don't understand how that distinction makes a difference. For all practical purposes, being able to reverse any kind of death other than complete bodily disintegration IS immortality.

And still, this development makes Bones out to be the stupidest Doctor in Starfleet, and perhaps the most ethically compromised. Taken at surface value he stumbles into a miracle cure for death and then allows it to disappear in a world where life threatening disease is still very much an issue. Now, this makes sense in the crypto-fascist world Orci seems to think exists inherently, where phenomenal discoveries are made and covered up for no reason, but in the surface level of the film it's just bad gimmicky "get out of jail free" writing.

What I find even more confounding, is your insistence on changing your view of a previous film, in which augments do not have magic blood (because it's not in the text of the film) in order to make THIS film logically consistent. I mean, never mind that arguing the finer points of magic blood is kind of purposeless, but I find this desire to radically revise a prior work is both completely incomprehensible to me, and the perfect indictment of continuity-heavy fictional universes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.